How it Works: Mi-8 Fire Protection System - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Default How it Works: Mi-8 Fire Protection System

I was going to write a long post about this, but I already have presentations in PowerPoint that I wrote a few years ago, so I just converted it to a PDF and I'll attach it here. It may be more information than most of you are interested in, but I think that anyone interested in how this system works will find it useful.

Note that the presentation was created with the specific aircraft that I work with in mind, but for all practical purposes, the Mi-8MTV-2 in DCS is identical to the Mi-8MTV-1 as mentioned in the PDF (the "-2" is just an armed version of the "-1" after all).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mi-8 Fire Detection and Protection System.pdf (1.62 MB, 1162 views)
AlphaOneSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Cibit
Veteran

Thanks a lot

Nice avataar you signing up for a pirate

Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibit View Post
Thanks a lot

Nice avataar you signing up for a pirate
Well my "real world" callsign is Cupcake, and I've been using this on my door instead of my name. I also bought the shirt, so I guess I'm just a walking advertisement for Johnny Cupcakes...
AlphaOneSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
unknown

Thank you very much, i would like to see more of your work if you would like to share it.

System: Win 10 64bit, Ryzen 1800X, 32gb RAM, Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti XE

MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5 - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
I was going to write a long post about this, but I already have presentations in PowerPoint that I wrote a few years ago, so I just converted it to a PDF and I'll attach it here. It may be more information than most of you are interested in, but I think that anyone interested in how this system works will find it useful.

Note that the presentation was created with the specific aircraft that I work with in mind, but for all practical purposes, the Mi-8MTV-2 in DCS is identical to the Mi-8MTV-1 as mentioned in the PDF (the "-2" is just an armed version of the "-1" after all).
Outstanding! Thank you!

"It may be more information than most of you are interested in"- that might be true, but at least for me this kind of stuff adds so much to the whole experience and immersion. True, most of it is not relevant in DCS, but it makes it all so much more "real" ... to know what is going on behind the scenes, behind the panels ...

Flagrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
zaelu
Veteran

Thank you!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
Buzzles

Excellent.

Quite apt timing too as I accidently set the extinguishers off yesterday doing a start up and wondering what the rotary knob did in relation to the test switches
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
gospadin
ED Testers Team

Is fire suppression then completely automatic? In what situation would I need to manually suppress a fire?
gospadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
xxJohnxx

Thank you very much for providing this guide, really appriciated. If you have any more of those, definatelly don't hold back posting them on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospadin View Post
Is fire suppression then completely automatic? In what situation would I need to manually suppress a fire?
I guess you could call it partially automated. The first bottle will be fired upon receiving the fire warning.
The second bottle has to be fired manually, in case the first bottle (and probably also additional methods like cutting of fuel) doesn't put out the fire.

I guess the 4 buttons to fire the primary bottle serve as a backup (i.e. If it isn't fired automatically (not sure how far thats possible though)) and they might possibly also be used in a case where there could be the signs for a fire in a specific apartment (smoke?), without the fire warning having been trighered yet.

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled
xxJohnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #10
gunterlund21

Alpha you did a fantastic job on this documentation. I hope you can continue to do this for other sub systems in this bird. IE Weapons system, Radio and or nav systems etc. Great Reference!!!