Is the Normandy map dead?

imacken

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Airplane modules in this sim are, quite simply, much more enjoyable to fly than those in the biggest modern WWII sim.

However, gameplay in this sim is, quite frankly, suck. Things like:

A WWII Normandy map that is SOOO under finished as to have land where water is and large swaths of land where it is evident development was planned and never implemented. And, for crying out loud, we have the P51D and the stupid map doesn't even include Leiston????

There are multiple problems with this unfinished project but, I can not imagine it would be that hard to remove land from the map where land should NOT exist.

Anyway, I keep coming back to this after periods of inactivity on DCS in the hopes of seeing important gameplay aspects fixed because, of the two, this is the one I WANT to play; it is the one I most want to see succeed but, alas, I fear it will not happen

ACG and BURNING SKIES are usually up and running, but hardly any players in them.

I don't really understand why. WW2 servers used to be quite popular back when we only had the Caucasus map.

We now have more WW2 content than ever, but no one flying.

I think it is because, every time a new module or map comes out, everyone rushes over to try it. I try to stick with the Mustang, Spitfire, and Dora modules all the time, figuring I don’t want to be a jack of all trades, master of none. I prefer to be as good as I can be in those three I have no intention of getting the Hornet, for instance. It would take up all of my time trying to get proficient.

The more modules and maps available, the smaller the slices of a finite pie become. So, where the WWII servers used to be popular, and the more choices people have, the fewer people will populate each server. The solution isn’t fewer choices, but more people. The conundrum is to get more people, you need newer offerings to attract them.

Some folks want to fly as many different planes as possible. I was born during WWII, and those are the planes I want to fly. Like minded people should get together, and form an Allied and a LW squadron, get on a Normandy server and maybe be able to switch from one to the other on any given day. I’m up for it.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

• ED Team

The detailed area of the map has been improved just recently, the edges, even if they change to match the actual world (up to the 3rd Party that did it) will still be undetailed and lo-mesh quality. The focus of the map is the Normandy area. Many new units have been added, work is ongoing on many other aspects, development is far from stalled.

Airplane modules in this sim are, quite simply, much more enjoyable to fly than those in the biggest modern WWII sim.

However, gameplay in this sim is, quite frankly, suck. Things like:

A WWII Normandy map that is SOOO under finished as to have land where water is and large swaths of land where it is evident development was planned and never implemented. And, for crying out loud, we have the P51D and the stupid map doesn't even include Leiston????

There are multiple problems with this unfinished project but, I can not imagine it would be that hard to remove land from the map where land should NOT exist.

Anyway, I keep coming back to this after periods of inactivity on DCS in the hopes of seeing important gameplay aspects fixed because, of the two, this is the one I WANT to play; it is the one I most want to see succeed but, alas, I fear it will not happen

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Maybe the real question should be about why so few people are using the map? The map, itself, is good. Again, I think the answer is that every one always runs to “the new kid on the block”.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Maybe the real question should be about why so few people are using the map? The map, itself, is good. Again, I think the answer is that every one always runs to “the new kid on the block”.

How do you know how many people are using the map?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It is certainly dead in MP, hardly anyone uses it

Personally I did not buy it because of the Assets pack (which should have been a free part of the core game usable on every map)

Maybe when the dedicated server appears things will be different, time will tell

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

It is certainly dead in MP, hardly anyone uses it

Personally I did not buy it because of the Assets pack (which should have been a free part of the core game usable on every map)

Maybe when the dedicated server appears things will be different, time will tell

I would imagine that the proportion of DCS users that use MP is very small, so not a great indicator of how the map is used.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Correct, the Map and asset pack did on par with all other map sales, which was quite well.

I agree MP usage isn't a good indication of total usage, but sales are in the same way not a good measure. Many people might have bought it, but how many actually use it? Quite often people express some kind of regret buying it.

I guess we need some anonymously collected statistics to find out real usage.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Correct, the Map and asset pack did on par with all other map sales, which was quite well.

Interesting, would never have thought that

Question: what % of total dcs users (based on digital simulator accounts) bought Normandy ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Could not agree more.

I am also tired of using half done maps, planes and objects while awaiting the promise from ED or developers to complete them.

Paying customers serving as beta-testers.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Normandy map is cool but performance is crap even on a beast system I have.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

i hear that a lot and this is the only real reasons i haven't yet bought the map.

any plans for improvments in this regard?

I have a 4 year old AZUS laptop. 2 GB 860M graphics card. 8 GB's of RAMM. I did increase the amount of virtual memory. I don't overclock.

I play the Normandy map with no problem. Yeah, I do turn some stuff down. But I do have MSAA on 2X. I even run the Epsom campaign which I'm really enjoying.

Could not agree more.

I am also tired of using half done maps, planes and objects while awaiting the promise from ED or developers to complete them.

Paying customers serving as beta-testers.

Don't buy at the beta stage then. Simple, just wait for the release version if you are that bothered.

I think the real reason you don't see a lot of servers running the map is not related to map performance, which is not as good as Nevada but that DCS WWII hasn't taken off yet.

Once the Assets Pack is complete and we can make interesting missions I would expect an increase in activity. Finishing the Spitfire certainly has reignited my interest and the P-47 will really help.

There's not much modern interest in the map I think because there's a perception that it's only WWII and to an extent that is true, landing a Mig-23 is a handful on normal runways.

i hear that a lot and this is the only real reasons i haven't yet bought the map.

any plans for improvments in this regard?

Truth to be told, after the recent major update we had in June, the map finally got closer to the others framerate-wise, visuals were improved as well. "Closer" doesn't mean "equal" though and the map still performs worse. I wouldn't call it "crap", more like "mediocre" ;).

The old tree, bush and grass rendering technique on it is the most sticking out aspect, affecting both visuals and fps. We've read numerous "politician-style" statements there will be discussions with Ugra-Media Co. about possibility of implementing speedtree code in Normandy somewhere in the future after they're done with Syria map. When/if does that happen, though is anyone's guess for the time being.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

ok. thanks for the info. i think i'll wait until i got myself a new pc later this year with some performance headroom and then check in again to see, if there has been further improvment.

for the price (especially if you add in the asset pack) i want to get a well polished product!

Edited by twistking

How many air battles were fought in Syria as opposed to Normandy? They should finish the historically more important map before venturing off to a less historically important area of air combat. Just my opinion.

There-in lies part of the problem of few people flying the Normandy (or any other) map: new toys keep coming out before the last one is completely finished. The Hornet comes out, so we’ve got to have a new map for it. Or, maybe this Syrian map will now need something new to use it for. All before Normandy is finished.

Every time we are given a new toy, the old one gets dropped. Just like when we were kids.

The number of toys is expanding faster than the number of new people coming to DCS.

TWC_SLAG

• ED Team
How many air battles were fought in Syria as opposed to Normandy? They should finish the historically more important map before venturing off to a less historically important area of air combat. Just my opinion.

Well, Syria isn't the next WWII map, so not really that relevant in that sense (although you might know that some WWII aircraft were used in the War of Independence, so there is that), it will be a popular modern-day map. I am not sure we will see much more development on the Normandy map now, it's up to the 3rd Party working on it, and they did do a bunch of work recently.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png