Input Devices Re-Initialisation

Ongoing USB and trackIR issues

After patching both DCS versions to latest I still get the same Track IR disconnects, which then coincides with a reseting of my groovey game gear based physical panels.

I have disabled windows 10 power mx of usb in power settings, and in device manager I have disable windows powering down inactive usb devices.

Attached are my logs (both 1.5.4 and 2.0.3)

This issue seems quite persistent.

I have a few things to fix with my panels in that some of the momentary switches are moment off not moment on, so on the reset / reinitialise of the GGG controllers, I am getting a big long list of letters and numbers in the CDU scratchpad (have not verified that these characters correspond to the momentary off switches or other).

Could it be an issues that with the "on" status physical devices (switches / buttons) that on reinit of USB GGG device it sends 10-20 simultaneous button / switch commands depending on state of switch / type of button and DCS just processes them as new commands?

Many thanks

System: I7 7700K - Delidded. TT Cooler. 32GB 3000hz Ram, Gigabyte Aorus Ext 1080TI, SSD's, Corsair Gold 850W PSU, Philips 4K 40inch 60hz monitor, Dell 22inch Touch + Helios, Rift S, VKB MCG PRO, TM TPR pedals, TM Warthog throttle with slew mod and twist repair

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ongoing USB and trackIR issues - missing logs

missing log files. half asleep when posting

dcs.log2.txt

dcs.log.nttr.txt

System: I7 7700K - Delidded. TT Cooler. 32GB 3000hz Ram, Gigabyte Aorus Ext 1080TI, SSD's, Corsair Gold 850W PSU, Philips 4K 40inch 60hz monitor, Dell 22inch Touch + Helios, Rift S, VKB MCG PRO, TM TPR pedals, TM Warthog throttle with slew mod and twist repair

Disappointing to see that the problem is not resolved. I have resigned myself to mouse clicking on the virtual switches, and reserving my hard- wired ones for those that don't go 'wild', such as my frequency encoders etc. But I still find myself automatically switching others when preoccupied in flight, such as the Weapons panel.

It is clear from looking through the forum that others are having similar problems so at least it isn't my set-up.

I remain convinced that it is a recently introduced bug in the DCS coding - it is not confined to any one aircraft. It is equally disappointing not to see any response from DCS; even a simple 'Acknowledged and will investigate' would suffice. I am not asking for an apology or a timescale for the fix - I recognise that they are working hard on other priorities.

Please can anyone encountering this bug post their DXDIAG files here.

HOWTO: http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/25236/~/how-do-i-find-my-dxdiag-file%3F

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

dxdiag

DXdiag as requested. hope it helps... I have temporarily disabled my physical switches that are always "on" when flicked like CICU, TGP, JTRS etc to avoid problem, any rocker momentary "on" types switches and buttons don't cause a problem, just any switch when in on position turns off and on again when device re-init's.

thanks

DxDiag.txt

My dxdiag.txt is attached.

Like Von Thrud, I have disabled all my critical toggle switches. When the problem occurs all these re-appear switched off, and I therefore lose various essential services operated by them: CDU, EGI, Battery, Generators, CICU, IFFCC etc.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

DxDiag.txt

I was about to post a new topic, or at least search for one relating to HOTAS Warthog controllers, specifically in game profiles.

I have an issue where whenever I start using an aircraft, the controls are duplicated across my HOTAS joystick and throttle and also my saitek rudder pedals. This means, for example, that pressing on the left rudder will also move my stick to the left, etc and many controls won't work, and are even unable to be changed in the control settings until allthe duplicate entries have been removed. So every time I map keys for an aircraft I need to delete everything but the keyboard and mouse commands and start from scratch with my HOTAS and rudder inputs. Needless to say this is very time consuming., although I suppose the benefit is that you can map things as realistically aspossible according tothe real world aircraft layout.

However, I have just now found that even loading a saved profile has the same issue. I had my inputs all worked out for the SU-27 when starting the Ultimate Argument campaign, and just because I started using VR I changed just two commands, changing the joystick hat switch from look up and look down to trim up and down commands for VR. I had these two profiles saved, yet when I just reverted using a monitor and loaded the profile for that, which I only saved yesterday, all the HOTAS and rudder commands have once again been duplicated. This is so annoying. Is there a fix for this I don't know about, or is to do with this bug?

If people are reporting strange behaviours it could be that there ore conflicts and duplications in their controller profiles also, so moving the stick might open the canopy, or pressing on the rudder might switch something off.

Now to go and map my SU-27 controls.....again!

Cheers,

Here is a screenshot to show what I am talking about. It seems that in this case, after loading a saved profile, the rudder throttle inputs have been duplicated by the rudder for some reason. Usually when starting new with an aircraft, the commands are duplicated across all three devices.

DCSDuplicatecontrols.jpg

Actually, here are the triplicate controls after loading the profile a second time in the controls menu. I had the joystick column highlighted when I loaded the profile, so maybe this has something to do with why the joystick controls are now replicating the rudder and throttle inputs.

DCSDuplicatecontrols2.jpg

Where do I find the dxdiag.txt file, or do I need to create a system version?

CHeers

Edited by scotth6

Scottth6, I suspect this is a very different problem.

It is normal when starting a new aircraft for all of the input devices to have 'common' settings, such as Trim U, Trim D, Fire Guns, etc.

For each new aircraft you need to delete these 'default' allocations that you don't want, enter your own key/button input, and then, when complete, press OK to save these. It is easy to forget to press OK and select Cancel instead, whereupon all your inputs are lost and you must start again.

So i had the same disconnect and reconnect issue after switching to Windows 10. It wasn't happening a lot, roughly once a day and not just when playing DCS. I ran into this page http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-usb-device-disconnects-and-reconnects/7b93eabd-0ea3-444e-8671-1f5dcf460fc0?auth=1

Seems this is more like a Windows 10 issue and not DCS.

I checked for new drivers for Windows 10 for my motherboard and there was one for the USB 3.0 controllers. Did the upgrade, in a normal way, and the problem occurs less often. Maybe others with the same issue should try the same.

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

I found an interim painful but workable solution is to map a modifier key to the on/off toggle switches, that way the reset of hardware doesn't reset the switch in game.

I personally am using LCTRL with the offending toggle on/off switches.

I could also get around by changing the offending on/off switches to momentary "on" buttons, but that would defeat the purpose of having something that resembles the AHCP panel.

Edited by Von Thrud
typo's

Is there any update on these issues. I'm now using CH Products Combatstick, and Pro throttle. I have installed a powered USB 2 hub.

Every now and then all of my controls stop working. As soon as i click anywhere on the screen with the mouse all of the controls return.

I have a multi monitor setup but only use DCS on 1 screen. Would it be due to DCS being windowed?

This was happening with or without the hub. I run P3d also hence the multi monitors but this does not happen in P3d

I have also checked the power management options to disable any power saving.

I would also like to get a reply from ED on what their view is on this issue, other than the message that it is related to loose USB connections.

Tried all possible fixes on this thread with no luck.

Now my 350 Euro joystick is working for like 70%, since I only have the issue on 10 or so switches on my TM Hotas Warthog......

I have this issue ONLY with DCS and all other usb devices are fine, no issue with mouse, keyboard or USB hub.

Please note that my TM Warthog is directly connected and not via a hub.

As stated in my first post, it only occurred after a specific DCS update and never happened before.

Please ED, a whole bunch of your paying customers have similar issues, please don´t leave us in the dark.

Thanks in advance for any help from ED.

http://www.TAWDCS.org ### JOINT TASK FORCE JTF-88 ### https://tawdcs.org/battalion/88th/ ### PC: i9 - 32Gb RAM - GTX 1080Ti - TM Warthog Stick and Throttle - MFG Crosswind Black - TrackIR5 - Buddy Fox UFC

I would also like to get a reply from ED on what their view is on this issue, other than the message that it is related to loose USB connections.

Tried all possible fixes on this thread with no luck.

Now my 350 Euro joystick is working for like 70%, since I only have the issue on 10 or so switches on my TM Hotas Warthog......

I have this issue ONLY with DCS and all other usb devices are fine, no issue with mouse, keyboard or USB hub.

Please note that my TM Warthog is directly connected and not via a hub.

As stated in my first post, it only occurred after a specific DCS update and never happened before.

Please ED, a whole bunch of your paying customers have similar issues, please don´t leave us in the dark.

Thanks in advance for any help from ED.

That DCS Update Could Have Come Down the same time Microsoft Put out a Update for USB Controller Power Settings. Windows 10 Update 1607 To Be Specific.

I Had People Revert Versions, and the Problem Remained.

Around the same time that DCS Started Behaving this way is also the same time Oculus started having problems w/ their USB Sensors Randomly Disconnecting and Connecting.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Hi SkateZilla,

Sounds plausible, but BigNewy mentioned about the new hot-plug functionality that was also introduced in that same update of DCS where the issues started.

You say you had people reverting back and issue remained.

The weird thing is though, I had this issue first after an update of DCS Open Beta, at that moment it did not happen in DCS Release version. Then when DCS Release was updated I also had it in the DCS Release version.

This to me does not sound like it had anything to do with Windows. What I can imagine is that the new Windows update, together with DCS hot-plug functionality is causing this.

So could ED at least give us a way to disable hot-plug and see if that will fix our issues?

Thanks!

http://www.TAWDCS.org ### JOINT TASK FORCE JTF-88 ### https://tawdcs.org/battalion/88th/ ### PC: i9 - 32Gb RAM - GTX 1080Ti - TM Warthog Stick and Throttle - MFG Crosswind Black - TrackIR5 - Buddy Fox UFC

• 3 weeks later...

I was having severe issues with my Trackir 5 connecting/disconnecting, stutter, and having issues when I paused it. The issue would affect my CH Throttle for whatever reason. I updated the Trackir 5 software to version 5.4.2 and now everything is working great. Hope this helps anyone else having issues.

Hello Ranger79, that did not solve anything for me at least. Thanks for the input.

So ED or moderators, any response on my recent message?

- QUOTE -

Hi SkateZilla,

Sounds plausible, but BigNewy mentioned about the new hot-plug functionality that was also introduced in that same update of DCS where the issues started.

You say you had people reverting back and issue remained.

The weird thing is though, I had this issue first after an update of DCS Open Beta, at that moment it did not happen in DCS Release version. Then when DCS Release was updated I also had it in the DCS Release version.

This to me does not sound like it had anything to do with Windows. What I can imagine is that the new Windows update, together with DCS hot-plug functionality is causing this.

So could ED at least give us a way to disable hot-plug and see if that will fix our issues?

Thanks!

- END QUOTE -

I still have the issues after trying every possible tip on this thread and other things found on the internet.

Thanks for the help!

......you can make sure that your USB power settings are at full speed without power saving features enabled........

This!

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Sorry, I dont run Windows 10 at the Moment (Windows 10 HDD Died and hasnt been replaced).

From What I understand, is Windows 10 Integrated a new Selective Suspend Setting, Or Rather, Changed the Default from OFF to ON.

Where USB Devices will Randomly Power Off in a Cycle.

From What I can tell, the only way to disable it is to turn it off by Device in the registry.

Microsoft may or maynot have put out a hotfix that added the option to power plan settings.

The Issue is Selective Suspends Cycles through each USB Port putting them in low power mode,

When you remove a Majority of the Voltage from the USB Port, Devices Like Joysticks, TrackIR, Oculus, Vive, etc, all Power Off. Then Windows Detects activity and puts the power back on.

The Issue is, for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, all Vendors should have re-compiled their drivers to tell Windows 10 if the device supports Selective Suspend or not, thus preventing Windows from Powering down those Ports. If not Windows 10 Will Assume its Selective Suspend Capable, throw the USB Port in Low Power Mode, Knock any device connected to that USB Chain offline, then turn it back on when it senses device activity.

So Far, AFAIK, only Oculus has Released Such Drivers, and Natural Point (at least that I'm aware of).

Further, Microsoft Themselves Warn not to Disable Selective Suspend, because it "Saves Power".

But I know Overclockers that have disabled it fine w/ no difference in power consumption (Measured at the wall), as most USB Devices that use High Amounts of Power (ie Oculus Rift), Suspend on their own when the API isnt Running.

Things like Mouse/Keyboard use Minimal USB Power.

I doubt Thrustmaster Makes the Warthog or other USB HOTAS/Devices Sleep on their own.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 4 weeks later...

Update 2: Back to square 1... lasted for 30minutes in 1.5 without issues. tried 2.0... issues straight away... back to 1.5, almost immediately my toggle switches self toggle on the groovey game gear board resulting in CICU switch cycling on and off... I do note since the changes below I am not getting track IR message any more though...

Update.... I think my usb issues appeared resolved.... search from a windows 10 perspective today and did this....

results:

---------------------------------------------

Open Device Manager by typing devmgmt.msc in the Start > Search panel. The Device Manager window will open. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch then double-click the USB Root Hub device, and choose the Power Management tab.Oct 3, 2009

----------------------------------------------

search string

windows 10 disable usb power management

no more trackIR disconnects and no more groovey game gear homemade panels with toggle switches toggling on usb power cycling

hope it works for some of you guys

I am testing in 1.5retail standalone... will try 2.0 later and report

Edited by Von Thrud

• 1 year later...

Anyone still having this problem?

The problem I'm seeing... The USB devices seem to re-initialize every 5-15 minutes. When it occurs, (1) some of my USB devices get reset (like my Logitech G940 FFB stick recentering and losing it's force trim and (2) I get a 1-3 second lockup in DCS while it re-discovers the USB devices. I have to retrim my FFB stick and then all continues normally except that I have often crashed or been shot down because of the lockups.

Not all USB devices are affected the same - my Microsoft FFB 2 stick, for example, does not reset it's trim - just as some of you found that some cockpit USB boards were resetting and losing button states, but other boards didn't have issues.

This appears to be both a Windows 10 and DCS issue. It is a Windows 10 issue in that they changed something in the summer 2016 update that caused problems for USB devices like hard disks and WiFi devices as well as gaming devices. It is a DCS issue because DCS locks up momentarily when the USB devices reset. DCS needs to do something to prevent the lock up. No other game/sim I run has these issues, not even sims where I use the same USB devices. It seems DCS is seeing the change in USB state and stopping all operations while it reinitializes the USB devices.

I use a TrackIR 5 with latest software. I have occasionally seen the messages in DCS saying TrackIR disconnected/TrackIR reconnected when the problem occurs, but not often.

Details of my efforts to solve the problem:

Note all of the devices I tested with used to work before this problem started. The windows 10 Update in 2016 and/or the DCS update around the same time started this issue, but I had never seen this issue before in Windows 10 or 7, or in any prior version of DCS. The issue has existed since it started - no update to DCS or Windows 10 has affected it.

1. Disconnected every USB device and hub on my computer except for one joystick and the keyboard (even disconnected my wireless mouse and it's wireless dongle). Problem continues. Moved that single joystick and keyboard around to various USB connectors to make sure it was not a bad connector, or to make sure I wasn't using an on board motherboard hub. No change. Occurs with USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports equally. Occurs using hubs or direct motherboard USB ports.

2. Turned of "USB Selective Suspend" in the Advanced Settings Dialog for Power Management. No change.

3. Turned off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the Power Management tab (in the Device Manager) for all USB hubs, HID compliant mice and keyboards, and Human Interface Devices (which includes joysticks, and other USB controllers). No change.

4. I rebooted and then verified that #3 above was still true for all USB devices and hubs. Some devices re-enable this feature on reboot so you must uncheck the power off box again every boot. No change. Note, if some of you solved this issue by doing #3, check your power management settings after reboot. I bet several of them re-enabled the power management. If this is the solution, it is not a good one as you might have to disable power management every boot for multiple devices.

5. Verified that #3 above was still true for any virtual HID devices like the G940 key remapper or Thrustmaster TARGET (if I was using them). No change.

6. Deleted and updated as many USB device drivers as I cold find on my system and uninstalled a few pieces of software that might have had some connection to USB devices (just to be sure). No change.

7. Verified that I have the latest BIOS for my motherboard as well as latest motherboard chipset drivers (anything having anything to do with USB hardware). No changes.

8. Tried USBLogView to see if any USB devices are disconnecting and reconnecting. No. All USB devices are remaining connected throughout the problem occurring. This shows there is no hard disconnect of a USB device occurring.

I'm to the point of trying to reinstall windows from scratch, but as that is days of effort, and no guarantee it will solve the issue, I am reluctant to try it just yet. Sadly, I have to curtail my DCS flying until I can solve it.

@Drakoz

Do you connect you devices directly to USB provided by the motherboard?

I did have a very similar issue, which was resolved only by using a USB PCI-E expansion card that has a separate power input (12V from 15 pin SATA power connector) directly from the power supply.

I used this;

https://www.amazon.de/Inateck-3-0-Expansion-Schnittstelle-USB3-0-Ports-einbeziehen/dp/B00FPIMICA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510131341&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+pci+karte+3.0

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64