Pre-Setting Flight Instruments in Editor?

Vedexent

Especially with aircraft like the F-86, MiG-21, and L-39, it would be very useful to be able to set up the instrumentation in the editor pre-flight: HSI needle setting, radio preset selection, NDB tuning, RSBN channel selection, barometric altimeter, etc.

This would be especially helpful for "hot" aircraft slots which spawn mid-air; fumbling around setting everything up in flight is a pain-in-the-ejection-seat :P

However, all I can see in the editor is the ability to set the radio preset frequencies.

Am I missing something, can something be set by editing the raw MIZ file, or am I just out of luck?

Thanks,

I'm not familiar with flying those aircraft. But if they are like the rest of the modules minus FC3, they are preset by the Lua files. I set my flare despenser settings in the Ka50 by editing the UV26.lua for example. You might be able to do the same with your aircraft.

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Wouldn't this be setting globally for all my aircraft, though? If so - that's very useful in and of itself; thank you :)

I'm wondering if it's possible to set the cockpit instruments specifically "one time" for the mission, in the mission file - so that anyone spawning into that mission slot is pre-setup for the mission (appropriate mission NDBs, radio preset selected for the return airfield, HSI setup on the desired ingress course, etc.).

In the ME, under the Flight menu is a Prepare Mission button. It is documented on page 65/66 in the DCS User Manual.

PREPARE MISSION. The PREPARE MISSION mode is used for integrating navigation

and environment data into the saved mission file. When near the end of creating a

mission, you can start the mission in the PREPARE MISSION mode (it will look much like

usual FLY MISSION start) and configure various avionics in the cockpit. Your avionics

settings can then be saved and will start in the saved states whenever other players

open the mission.

This will let you do what you want to the cockpit instruments.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Perfect. Thank you very much.

Guess I should read the documentation more carefully...

It was easy for me since I already knew the function existed. I didn't even realize they had moved the button until I found the page in the manual, though.

It is easy to miss even if you read it. It might not even mean much until you realize what the function is meant for.

In the old days it was it's own button right at the top of the ME which probably made folks more aware of it's existence.

Have fun.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hmm - I put a L-39 down on the Sukhumi runway (starting "hot" from the runway), went into Prepare Mission, set the NDBs and the HSI course needle, exited out, saved the mission, and then played the result.

None of the settings seem to have been preserved.

The manual doesn't mention any specific save step or operation other than exiting the Prepare "play through".

Am I still missing something? Or does this not extend to the L-39C (yet?)? OR does this only apply to ramp cold starts (experimenting with that next).

EDIT: No - doesn't seem to work for ramp start either.

Edited by Vedexent

Hmm - I put a L-39 down on the Sukhumi runway (starting "hot" from the runway), went into Prepare Mission, set the NDBs and the HSI course needle, exited out, saved the mission, and then played the result.

None of the settings seem to have been preserved.

The manual doesn't mention any specific save step or operation other than exiting the Prepare "play through".

Am I still missing something? Or does this not extend to the L-39C (yet?)? OR does this only apply to ramp cold starts (experimenting with that next).

EDIT: No - doesn't seem to work for ramp start either.

You will have to edit the lua files for the specific instrument, and then drop them into the .miz file.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.