Engine power down

Hello,

I got a problem with the spitfire. I followed the tutorials, start up, take off, landing. When I leave low level to high altitude, engine loose power and goes idle. Did I forget something not explained in the tutorials? Thank you very much for your help!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I've just started flying the Spitfire too. I think you have to pressurize the tank once you pass a certain altitude. It's the turn switch on the bottom right of the front panel. Hope that helps,

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

I've just started flying the Spitfire too. I think you have to pressurize the tank once you pass a certain altitude. It's the turn switch on the bottom right of the front panel. Hope that helps,

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This. Sounds like the tank pressure valve is off. Need to turn it on when climbing.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

This. Sounds like the tank pressure valve is off. Need to turn it on when climbing.

you need only fuel pump for it to be turned on

tank pressure handle is for emergency

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

you need only fuel pump for it to be turned on

tank pressure handle is for emergency

The fuel pump is for all use while in-flight, and is only off while on the ground. The tank pressure is used for all times when at high altitude, about 16,000ft in my experience. If off, the engine will fail exactly as described in the OP. There are no adverse effects of turning it on while at lower altitudes, at least none that I've noticed. Some folks even include turning the tank pressure on as part of their startup procedure.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Better described here

c45ae81243ae6f81aa5a5cfde0f22544.jpg

38aea0fb0fcfa4cae085ffa010d6499c.jpg

hi gaby,

the fuel pump switch is the most annoying one to see in the spit as its slightly hidden under your large black elevator trim wheel to your left.

once the engine is running look down underneath there and turn it on. I believe this is what your experiencing.

The fuel pressure key or switch on the right hand side doesn't need to be used unless the low pressure light comes on.

Grafspee is right. Turn on the fuel pump (low left, first switch from front) and You will be ok.

Bye.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

No, see my post above. It is not for emergency.

It is possible that it could be the fuel pressure. I haven't considered this.

In this case, we can't determine what the problem is, based off what's provided in the OP. We need to know of the fuel pressure lamp turns on when the engine dies. If it does, turn on the fuel pump. If it doesn't, turn on the tank pressure.

“high altitude” isn't a number. To me, it's 12,000ft and up, so I immediately went to the tank pressure. But that depends on what your opinion of what “high altitude” is.

Edited by Magic Zach

Zach, if every time the engine go down is the pump... I'm talking because I had exactly the same problem when I started flying the Spitfire, tryied all the possible procedure to pressurize the fuel... Then one user on ED forum tell me to check the fuel pump... I completely missed it and also the autostart procedure apparently... Started to ignite it at the engine warm up and from that point I haven't anymore the problem

Zach, if every time the engine go down is the pump... I'm talking because I had exactly the same problem when I started flying the Spitfire, tryied all the possible procedure to pressurize the fuel... Then one user on ED forum tell me to check the fuel pump... I completely missed it and also the autostart procedure apparently... Started to ignite it at the engine warm up and from that point I haven't anymore the problem

Just because the engine dies (without damage or overheat) does not mean it is the fuel pump. While it could be it (very possible) it does not mean that it is. Just because you had problem X, and found solution Y, does not mean solution Y is the only possible solution for everyone else's seemingly similar problem.

So, maybe it is the fuel pump, maybe it isn't. Until the OP provides more details (like the fuel pressure lamp), or at this point, merely reads the replies, will there be a definite answer.

1And the autostart doesn't miss it, it excludes it. It is, as I said, only to be turned on after takeoff.

i climbed spit to 43k ft some day and had no problems with fuel pressure you need only switch fuel pump on thats it.

w/o fuel pup on engien will starve at high alt or after some negative g maneuvers

i have never ever used tank pressurisation on spit in dcs

you will get exact the same thing in p-51 if you start flying w/o fuel pump on too it will work fine at low alt and gentle flying but as soon you will make some negiative g loads or climb high yo uwill lose fuel pressure and engine will starve out of fuel

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

i climbed spit to 43k ft some day and had no problems with fuel pressure you need only switch fuel pump on thats it.

w/o fuel pup on engien will starve at high alt or after some negative g maneuvers

i have never ever used tank pressurisation on spit in dcs

you will get exact the same thing in p-51 if you start flying w/o fuel pump on too it will work fine at low alt and gentle flying but as soon you will make some negiative g loads or climb high yo uwill lose fuel pressure and engine will starve out of fuel

Me too, with fuel pump on, no need to do other.

Well, to be honest, that's unusual. While I haven't gone to 43,000, I have climbed to about 30,000, and my engine would not allow me to pass through 17,000 while I was climbing. It wasn't until I turned on my tank pressure that my engine stopped giving me problems. To not have any effects from having the pressure off at such an altitude is strange.

I can try running some experiments when I get home, but that's in 1.5 weeks :(

Regardless, it is best to turn on the tank pressure anyways, even if you don't experience any adverse effects. Because for A: realism and B: just in case you did need it, you already have it on.

Regardless, it is best to turn on the tank pressure anyways, even if you don't experience any adverse effects. Because for A: realism and B: just in case you did need it, you already have it on.

if you want realism fuelt tnak pressue shoudl be in normal position (normal = off)

pre-start up check list listing this hnadle to be in off position than this handle isnt mentioned in start up check list or taxi check list.

even in original spit manual this hnadle isnt mentioned even once in start up procediures

so in normal flight operations fuel pressure handle in normal position

if you want realism fuelt tnak pressue shoudl be in normal position (normal = off)

pre-start up check list listing this hnadle to be in off position than this handle isnt mentioned in start up check list or taxi check list.

even in original spit manual this hnadle isnt mentioned even once in start up procediures

so in normal flight operations fuel pressure handle in normal position

It is only meant to be turned on until you reach critical altitude. If you want realism, you set it to ON at the critical altitude, like I've been saying, again.

I really, REALLY don't think you two are even reading what I'm saying, and only little key words that look interesting. I'm done arguing. If you want to fly the Spitfire improperly, have it your way. I've tried to help, but you guys aren't willing to listen, and trying to teach two people in denial has gotten old and exhausting.

Good day o7

It is only meant to be turned on until you reach critical altitude. If you want realism, you set it to ON at the critical altitude, like I've been saying, again.

I really, REALLY don't think you two are even reading what I'm saying, and only little key words that look interesting. I'm done arguing. If you want to fly the Spitfire improperly, have it your way. I've tried to help, but you guys aren't willing to listen, and trying to teach two people in denial has gotten old and exhausting.

Good day o7

its cleary said that fuel pressure must be turned on only whne fuel pressure light is on if not dont touch it so tuning it on just in case not realistic at all

im just in process of reading through spitfire manual

AgOlyFv.png

Edited by grafspee

its even said in that picture what you linked that fuel tank pressure on only when pressure warning lapm is on

if it is still not clearly to not turn on it before i cant help you then

at 20k ft there is automatic tank preessuratio nsystem which kick in by it self

and handle is used only when pressure light popup on

cXWRTG1.png

still not clear enough ??

Edited by grafspee

Try these steps...

GABY330,

While climbing for altitude, make sure to check your OIL PRESSURE. If the oil gets too cold at higher altitudes, you get HIGH oil pressure causing the stall. Turn on the OIL DILUTION for about a minute (adds petrol to the oil) - check periodically for too high an oil pressure. I like to keep my oil pressure around 90-100 p.s.i.

Also, keep supercharger pressure to 8 lbs. while climbing below the 2nd stage altitude. Once above the 2nd stage (orange supercharger light comes on), I run the pressure up to about 10 lbs.

Keep engine RPM to less than 2800 RPM while climbing.

Keep the OIL and ENGINE temperatures down!! Open the radiators. These last few things will help prevent the engine from seizing up.

If you are using a drop tank, then make sure you do not climb too steep (too high a climb rate). This will cause engine fuel starvation and a stall.

Do these simple things, and you will VERY RARELY have an engine stall on you. Good luck.

ChuckIV

Edited by ChuckIV

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill

SYSTEM:

Processor - Intel® Core i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3600MHz water-cooled

Installed memory (RAM) - 32.0 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Windows 10 & DCS on SSD

Video Card - water-cooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Internet: Cable 200Mbps 12Mbps

GABY330,

While climbing for altitude, make sure to check your OIL PRESSURE. If the oil gets too cold at higher altitudes, you get HIGH oil pressure causing the stall. Turn on the OIL DILUTION for about a minute (adds petrol to the oil) - check periodically for too high an oil pressure. I like to keep my oil pressure around 90-100 p.s.i.

Also, keep supercharger pressure to 8 lbs. while climbing below the 2nd stage altitude. Once above the 2nd stage (orange supercharger light comes on), I run the pressure up to about 10 lbs.

Keep engine RPM to less than 2800 RPM while climbing.

Keep the OIL and ENGINE temperatures down!! Open the radiators. These last few things will help prevent the engine from seizing up.

If you are using a drop tank, then make sure you do not climb too steep (too high a climb rate). This will cause engine fuel starvation and a stall.

Do these simple things, and you will VERY RARELY have an engine stall on you. Good luck.

ChuckIV

i have difrent solution for low oil temp pedal to the metal :)i use throttle W/O rpm 2850 or even 3000 you dont have much power very high anyway. in normal climb i hit 12lbs/2840rpm for climb below crit alts.

at above 30k ft boost is very low so you cant damage engine even at 3000rpm, dont remmeber exactly what boost i had ad 40k ft but i think it was close to +0lbs at 3000rpm throttle w/o ofc

Edited by grafspee