Suggestion: Reduce cockpit frame and improve visibility - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
yngvef

Default Suggestion: Reduce cockpit frame and improve visibility

I love the F-14, but a problem that became apparent on day one is the poor visibility from the cockpit. Especially to the front, with all the window frames in the way.

But, is this really realistic? That we can barely see the guy we're in formation with or fighting in BFM? Or that during the final turn towards the carrier on a case 1 landing, we can't see the entire boat because of the window frame?

In reality, a pilot has two eyes, while our viewpoint in the game is a single point (unless you use VR). With two eyes, close obstacles like beams, hud frame and such will become much less intrusive, as one eye will see what the other won't (as I hope every two-eyed person on the planet is already aware of).

So I think it should be a possibility to make the cockpit frames a bit thinner or something to make up for the fact that we are one-eyed in the game.

I know that the cockpit frames are correct shape and size compared to the original plane, but since we are one-eyed in the game, some adjustments should be done, in my opinion.

For the purists, it should maybe be an option you could toggle.

And, before anyone says it: I don't think the solution is that everyone MUST play in VR to be able to see out from the cockpit. A lot can't or won't play in VR for a multitude of reasons, including motion sickness.

Currently, I can only fly the F-14 for a little while before I feel I'm getting tired from not seeing properly. So I hope this could be altered in some way.
yngvef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
yngvef

I mean. There is a MiG here somewhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_191021_170925.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	219853  
Old 10-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
lunaticfringe

The frame is the frame. Using TIR, I find no problem maintaining bearing on the boat during landing, and flying BFM the frame isn't a big deal- because you shouldn't be pulling the bandit into the windscreen until it's time to shoot him.

Similarly, I'm hard pressed to think of a formation in which I'm holding a bearing at ten or so degrees. Even tanking is solved more reliably by a switch to a wider POV, and if required, a minor lowering of the view (in lieu of a seat height switch at this time).
lunaticfringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Relic

Perhaps the dimensions of the forward frame of the canopy are a bit small but it's not much. Seems like it's just a poor visibility cockpit. And in reality you have a large helmet and not much wiggle room, so I doubt you'll be looking around any better than we can do with track ir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecbe7cadc262605c7dd31407632ebc14.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	219854   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	219855   Click image for larger version

Name:	F14_fwd_cockpit.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	219856  

Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
yngvef

But my point about the two eyes still stands. I am not arguing that the cockpit is the wrong shape from Heatblur. I am simply saying that with the handicap of viewing through a monitor, some adjustments should be made.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Wilcino

As mentioned by lunaticfringe, a non-vr solution (though still requiring spending money) is Track IR. There are open alternatives (I switched to Track IR as I had issues with these). This will allow you to move your head around laterally to look around the cockpit frame. You still use your monitor, but do have to mount to a cap, or buy a separate clip for a headset.
Wilcino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
lunaticfringe

handicap

It's the reality of what it was, and exhibits itself in VR as much as a flat panel- they have more compressed fields of view than can be experienced on an LCD. Operate regularly with your FoV relative to what one would actually see from a given seating position, rather than compressing the frame. It becomes far less of a bother- and, quite frankly, a useful tool for the employment and general handling of the airplane, especially in the panel-based world.
lunaticfringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
yngvef

Yeah, I have TrackIR, but still I feel half blind when I fly the F-14B.

Am i truly the only one who feels this?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
DD_Fenrir

No, there have been other complainants before on this topic.

Whilst I don't disagree with you that having stereoscopic vision can help mitigate some masking effect of the canopy framing, I can tell you as a user who regularly jumps between stereoscopic VR headset and 2D monitor, the advantage of stereo vision is not so great as you might hope, and for the sake of a little extra lean on your part I doubt that every developer is suddenly going to feel compelled to remodel - inaccurately as well - every one of their carefully crafted and textured cockpits.

There will forever be some compromises on translating the 3D experience of flight to computer software experienced via a 2D monitor - your current woe being one.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
Cobra847
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Perhaps the dimensions of the forward frame of the canopy are a bit small but it's not much. Seems like it's just a poor visibility cockpit. And in reality you have a large helmet and not much wiggle room, so I doubt you'll be looking around any better than we can do with track ir
The canopy frame dimensions are correct to ~1-2 mm precision.

As for this thread topic; As VR very pointedly illustrates, the canopy frame is quite obtrusive even with stereoscopic vision.

Founder & Lead Artist
Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
Cobra847 is offline   Reply With Quote