Game: Spot the of-the-shelf-joystick

TomOnSteam

I watch a lot of sci-fi and I play a lot of DCS - and because of my familiarity of simming hardware, when a movie uses a joystick that I have seen many, many times, it tends to stick out like a sore thumb to me :)

The latest one is from this trailer from Matt Damons new movie "The Martian"

CumZP6_9sHU

It's very obviously a TM Warthog as they still have the yellow arrow sticker on the handle (which has long been worn from mine!). It can be seen when they are in the cockpit both times.

I can think of a few more movies where I have spotted either a TM Warthog or an X52.

But I would like to see if others want to play a game of "spot the joystick" and see if we can get a list going of all movies / scenes where we recognise a common of the shelf gaming / simming hardware - and extra points if you find one which has been modded and disguised.

Also please post either a screenshot or a clip of the movie so we can all see :)

:thumbup:

Edit: that would be right, I spelt "off" with one "f" in the title :S

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Furious 7 had a Silver X52 in it. If you look in the trailer you can see the throttle for a second.

Edited by Mtnbiker1998
Embedded video... Hopfully.

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

The dark knight rises (Dish Dish Balala Balala) he had a TMWH in his switchblade (or whatever). I believe also X men had a X52 Saitek.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

X52 Pro in the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still:

18626886946_13366b4289_z.jpg

unZExd

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Riddick (2013) there was an X-52 pro at the end in the space shuttle.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

The dark knight rises (Dish Dish Balala Balala) he had a TMWH in his switchblade (or whatever). I believe also X men had a X52 Saitek.

Yep the Dark Knight is a smart guy - why reinvent the wheel, when you can just use a USB device in your batmobile? :)

K5vkUGi.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

What's that inside Battlestar Galactica's Raptor? :)

600_raptor-10.jpg

Ahahha! Logitech 3D something, near the Commodore C64 thing. :D

By the way, I think there was a X52 in Real Steel (2011) movie...

(Too lazy to get a screenshot...)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 4 months later...
Yep the Dark Knight is a smart guy - why reinvent the wheel, when you can just use a USB device in your batmobile? :)

the funny part is, the un edited footage from that scene, you can clearly read the lit throttle labels.. lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Pretty interesting.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."- General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262.

JayRac3r/Lt_Mav YouTube Channel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Mom, would you tell dad to stop taking my Warthog to work!"

:lol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Wow! This practice of using off the shelf top class joystics to impress sci-fi movie fans is more common than I thought.

Here's a TM Warthog in the final Batman vs Superman movie trailer

3QhkRXw.jpg

881TLmL.jpg

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR