Single player crashes

Manyoces

:helpsmilie:

Hi All, I have reached my frustration point with constant crashes in all maps I have, Nevada, Caucasus and Normandy. 5 to 10 minutes into a mission the game will crash (unless I crash first :music_whistling: ) at times with a BSOD, but normally it will just quit to Windows.

I've tried:

- reinstalling GPU drivers,

- repairing DCS,

- removing all USB inputs except HOTAS, rudder and track IR,

and no difference.

I will now uninstall the Beta and move to the stable version as my next attempt, but just in case, I wanted to post 3 of the last crashes to see if I can get some feedback or if they could turn out to be useful for the devs.

By the way, Windows 10 and DCS are up to date also.

I can't pinpoint any changes in my system which could be causing the crashes, so before the attached crashes happened I tried first:

- removing the OC in my GPU (GTX1070) -> no improvements, first attached crash

- next I reduced Visibility and Textures to make it easier for the GPU -> no improvements, second attached crash

- finally I uninstalled Tacview (just a wild guess as I installed it recently), but naturally, no improvements... :mad:

Any ideas will be more than welcome, thanks!

dcs.log-20180923-204126.zip

dcs.20180923-210840.zip

dcs.20180924-181240.zip

:helpsmilie:

Hi All, I have reached my frustration point with constant crashes in all maps I have, Nevada, Caucasus and Normandy. 5 to 10 minutes into a mission the game will crash (unless I crash first :music_whistling: ) at times with a BSOD, but normally it will just quit to Windows.

!

Looked at logs, would try:

1. With All logs - Show too little a swapfile - Up your Windows Swapfile to 16 or 32 gb so that you have 16gb of real ram and a minimum of 16gb of virtual ram on hdd / ssd (Highly recommend 32gb swapfile).
  2. With 3rd log- Shows crashes in Video drivers, since you have tried uninstall and reloading it, I can't recommend any remedy for this.
  3. Try the classic "dcs_updater.exe cleanup" to see if any mods left over in install.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Looked at logs, would try:

1. With All logs - Show too little a swapfile - Up your Windows Swapfile to 16 or 32 gb so that you have 16gb of real ram and a minimum of 16gb of virtual ram on hdd / ssd (Highly recommend 32gb swapfile).
  2. With 3rd log- Shows crashes in Video drivers, since you have tried uninstall and reloading it, I can't recommend any remedy for this.
  3. Try the classic "dcs_updater.exe cleanup" to see if any mods left over in install.

Regards, Ian.

Ian, thanks a lot for your answer!

I tried increasing the page file, it was set at a miserable maximum of 2900Mb, but unfortunately the game crashed again after 20 minutes. The log file for this crash is wierd, it's nearly empty.

I have a feeling that my DCS installation is corrupt in some way or other. I just realised that I can't activate the labels on the aircraft or vehicles (actually the crash happened when I pressed Lshift+F10 to activate labels on vehicles, pure chance?), and I'm also remembering that flying the P-51 the other day was too easy, no torque on take off at all, even with autorudder off and take off assistance at 0...

Too many freaky issues, I'll just go for a full clean installation and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

dcs.20180925-210505.zip

Ian, thanks a lot for your answer!

I tried increasing the page file, it was set at a miserable maximum of 2900Mb, but unfortunately the game crashed again after 20 minutes. The log file for this crash is wierd, it's nearly empty.

Too many freaky issues, I'll just go for a full clean installation and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

1. Swapfile has not increased as of yet, reboot and recheck, keep changing the figure (recommend system managed) and saving until windows insisted that it needs to reboot to implement (If it doesn't ask to reboot, it will not change it or fix it)
  2. With video card drivers did you go from a 3xx.xx or earlier version straight to a 399.xx or 411.xx versions by just installing straight over the top of the older version, if so I would recommend, uninstalling graphics drivers once again and running the DDU util software to wipe all traces of Nvidia drivers and associated software for a clean install, disable any antivirus whilst installing drivers.
  3. The labels problem is a known bug.
  4. List of unusual errors that I don't see very often in log files (some listed multiple times, and I don't know the cause, other than graphics drivers not installed correctly on some systems, which has been happening in resent times with nvidias installers):

• 2018-09-25 20:45:46.125 ERROR DX11BACKEND: Texture /textures/
    p51d_damage_main_2.dds is 3d but has depth == 1.

• 2018-09-25 20:46:03.983 ERROR EDTERRAINGRAPHICS41:
    VTI loading slice error. ???

• 2018-09-25 20:46:23.772 ERROR DX11BACKEND:
    Can't open texture land_16_57_15.png for texture array at index 456.

• 2018-09-25 20:51:28.585 ERROR
    SOUND: invalid source_params(woLA-16799488:aircrafts\engines\rollsroycemerlin\engine): gain

1. Video drivers inplicated due to:

• C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_cad5fc8f5ca41c15\
    nvwgf2umx.dll

• 2018-09-25 21:05:05.522 INFO EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 2D94BF9E 00:00000000

• 2018-09-25 21:05:05.525 INFO EDCORE: 00000000 00000000 0000:00000000

• 2018-09-25 21:05:05.527 INFO
    EDCORE: 2D94BF9E 6C1DDF80 0000:00000000 C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_cad5fc8f5ca41c15\nvwgf2umx.dll OpenAdapter12()+38FE

I suspect windows, swapfile and graphics drivers or a general system glitch, coupled with the general instability of DCS itself at the moment, making it difficult for you. A fresh install of DCS will help diagnose whether it is in the Windows system or DCS.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Ian, thanks for taking the time for your detailed answer!

Today I tried the swapfile again, I would swear I did reboot after changing it, see picture of what I put today in any case (it also asked for a reboot today). I added a swapfile in the SDD that has the sim's folders, (I wonder if that was intelligent :smartass:)

Surprisingly I managed a complete mission with no crashes... So I checked the log and all the unusual errors you pointed out still appear, but none of the GPU ones. So that kind of points to the Nvidia drivers as a probable cause.

This weekend I will do a clean install of DCS, and also install the Nvidia drivers using DDU. Looks promising :thumbup:

I'll post any weird things that keep happening.

Thx!

dcs.log.txt

598377650_Virtualmemory.JPG.26340fba2ee80003e82a8665bf1bc624.JPG

Today I tried the swapfile again, I would swear I did reboot after changing it, see picture of what I put today in any case (it also asked for a reboot today). I added a swapfile in the SDD that has the sim's folders, (I wonder if that was intelligent :smartass:)

Surprisingly I managed a complete mission with no crashes... So I checked the log and all the unusual errors you pointed out still appear, but none of the GPU ones. So that kind of points to the Nvidia drivers as a probable cause.

This weekend I will do a clean install of DCS, and also install the Nvidia drivers using DDU. Looks promising :thumbup:

I'll post any weird things that keep happening.

Thx!

Could be that the graphics drivers just requires a larger amount of ram than before, the same as DCS does, that is why the swap file should be large enough so that they can both work, A combined total of 32-48gb of usable ram and swapfile would be my recommendation as heavy dcs missions can easily use up to 32gb by itself and lighter missions up to 16gb, leaving little or nothing for the operating system and drivers.

The normal for swapfiles years ago was to have 2.5x you system memory, but things have changed since then, some will argue that you don't need swapfiles now that you have 16gb or 32gb of real ram, others will say it must me this or that, but generally windows works best if you set it high enough yourself, or let windows manage it itself which will increase the limit on the fly if need be.

Re putting the swapfile on the SSD drive, that is your decision, me personally, I put it on my games drive which is a hybrid ssd/hdd and not my SSD which is souly for the operating system (Don't want to wear it out any quicker that I have to, all temp directories, DCS missions and configs have all been relocated off the SSD and onto my games SSHD).

From the DCS log, this reports your real system ram and the Pagefile - However the pagefile shown is a total of your real ram and the swapfile, so I would like to see your Pagefile setting in DCS log to show 32768MB or 49152MB:

018-09-26 19:49:30.593 INFO    DCS: CPU cores: 4, threads: 8, System RAM: 16323 MB, Pagefile: 18323 MB

My DCS log with swapfile at 32768MB:

2018-09-19 10:37:58.467 INFO    DCS: CPU cores: 4, threads: 8, System RAM: 32637 MB, Pagefile: 65405 MB

Regards, Ian.

762528373_WindowsSwapfile.jpg.33ad878698953f867f81e65026d645b8.jpg

Edited by MadDog-IC

DCS Tech Support.

:-( SSHD wear out as SSD from temp and swap files; double RAM size swap on HDD is unacceptable! System do nothing but swapping data unnecessary.

The SSD is lot faster than the virtual RAM, swapping DCS files is a bad idea, direct access would be faster.

I using fix 16GB swap on HDD (since persian gulf) with 16GB DDR3.

Edited by discwalker

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Thanks Ian for all your help. I can now play without crashes, at least I have done a couple of 45 minutes missions from T/O to landing. The pity is I can't pinpoint the issue I was having (hopefully it will not appear anymore). All the things I have done are:

- Increase swapfile, now minimum is the same as maximum, set at 48Gb

- Updated GPU BIOS

- Uninstalled Nvidia drivers with DDU from safe mode and installed version 3.99

- Uninstalled DCS and installed it again (now the stable version)

I still get a lot of errors of the "VTI loading slice error" in the log file, but I have no idea of what this might mean, the game seems to work perfect.

2018-09-30 16:03:16.023 ERROR DX11BACKEND: Can't open texture land_16_57_30.png for texture array at index 1663.

2018-09-30 16:03:16.036 ERROR EDTERRAINGRAPHICS41: VTI loading slice error. ???