Sparrow, Sidewinder, Vulcan

Pac-Man

Coming close to the end! This course we'll go over how to effectively employ the AIM-7 Sparrow, the AIM-9 Sidewinder, and the M-61 Vulcan. So, strap on your flight suit and enjoy the ride!

Like and Subscribe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

I have a question i've wondered about for years. The Amraam has so many advantages over the Sparrow. Why use the Sparrow at all? I understand in real life it's a cost reason but i'm talking about in DCS.

Coz it's good for learning fundamentals of BVR.

And besides that, shooting Sparrows at Redheads is just plain fun.

Lord of Salt

The fundamentals you learn are good for the Sparrow. Not needed if you don't use them.

There are servers online that restrict the use of the Amraam. Also the fundamentals are the same for all radar guided missiles in the game, whether active or passive, since they are all passive up to a point.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You're missing my point. You only need to learn the Amraam if that's all you use for BVR. I don't fly online anymore.

I understand what you're saying. My personal response would be to prevent relying on the long range and free flight of the AMRAAM. With the Sparrow, you're going to have to learn ACM as you have to get significantly closer to use it or learn what your altitude separation needs to be at range. You're going to have to learn situational awareness. I would without question say that Sparrow requires much more skill to use and get back home.

So, I guess the short answer for DCS World's purpose would be to increase the difficulty of the match if that'st what you're into :).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

ACM is where I live. It's why I love WW2 sims. I must have a billion hours in IL2. Maybe not quite that much. :)

I didn't mean to just carry the Amraam. I love the AIM-9 and guns. I'm just leaving off the Sparrow. I watched your video and it's easy when you have a passive target. In a fight it's hard to hold lock for the whole flight of the Sparrow. The Amraam does fine up close in Sparrow range.

Buzz

If the conflict you're simulating engagements from takes place before the AMRAAM entered service, such as the first gulf war or a Cold-War-gone-hot scenario, the AIM-7 is the only tool on the table.

In a modern scenario, if there are any friendlies in the immediate vicinity of your target you run the risk of the AMRAAM's seeker locking a friendly instead of the bandit. In case this type of situation arises, I personally like to carry a pair of Sparrows in addition to AIM-120s. The Sparrow also makes a fine follow-up shot if you've already got the bandit defensive.

In a modern scenario, if there are any friendlies in the immediate vicinity of your target you run the risk of the AMRAAM's seeker locking a friendly instead of the bandit.

Like I was chasing the Frogfoot for a gun kill and got AMRAAM up the pipe from my Wingman. Or I was surprised when was accused of fratricide after a mission and this happened to be some lost AMRAAM too.

But I'm surprised you didn't mention the obvious reason to train with Sparrows - The Georgian War campaign ;)

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria