Request VMFA-451 Warlords

Jetguy06

I'm hoping someone can do some skins for this squadron. It's the squadron Jay Stout was in in his book, Hornets Over Kuwait. I'm hoping, preferably, for CAG and line schemes. I'd love to fly around the Persian Gulf in this skin!!

Edit: I'm adding some pictures I've found online

Lt.Col. A.S. "Scotty" Dudley was VMFA-451's CO during their time in Desert Storm.

cr-modellbau-160917-57dced7b131d3-1024x768.thumb.jpg.fc2a04cfee0bad6ae04f5061ccd16ca7.jpg

f_a-18c_28.jpg.898f6ab5d07ff74585f971cce00962ef.jpg

f_a-18c_cu_29.thumb.jpg.98f7c3614e4fe92e3baa33095b43e9e7.jpg

f_a-18c_cu_33.thumb.jpg.402bcee9e7889d9e33420543c0c23338.jpg

f_a-18c_cu_28.thumb.jpg.0e6baf0927b087109f4b31f37275e142.jpg

Edited by Jetguy06
Adding pictures and some info

• 1 month later...

I'm eyeing it up man. I like it. Can't get started on it right now. Maybe a couple of weeks. Head down of VMFA-321 right now, then i have to do more VFA-204 birds. If I do do this one, I will have to do others in the squadron as well. I never release a standalone bird. Got any other pics of addition squadron birds of that time-frame?

Edited by Bananimal

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

I'm eyeing it up man. I like it. Can't get started on it right now. Maybe a couple of weeks. Head down of VMFA-321 right now, then i have to do more VFA-204 birds. If I do do this one, I will have to do others in the squadron as well. I never release a standalone bird. Got any other pics of addition squadron birds of that time-frame?

Thanks, man!! I'll start looking for some other pics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything, outside of the aircraft illustration site.

https://www.markstyling.com/f_a_18as_04.htm

Here, on page three, are a few examples, 39, 40, and 41.

Also, the first aircraft of the page four is from VMFA-451.

Another downside is that these aircraft on this site are only assigned to two pilots, Lt.Col. A.S. Dudley, "Scotty," CO of the squadron, and Lt.Col. J.E. Hunter, "Catfish."

Aside from these, I can't find any info on pilots with airframes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hehehehe! You're going to like this pack, dude. I've just about got 4 of them done so far. I'll be doing the following:

1986-1989

1991-1992

1996-1997

Three different packs, each with at least 5-6 birds in them.

Here's a few shots of early work on one of the 1991 birds and one of the 1996 birds. Much has changed since these were taken. Namely cockipit warning decals, striping on the inboard vertical stabs on the 01 color XO bird, cut away the no-slip walk and reduced it's visibility significantly so the stripe extends across the lex as it should, proper camo on the pilot's helmet and flight suit for the era, etc.

I'll be increasing the size of the "Warlords" decal on the tanks. I also have to hand make the "Steel Magnolia" decal for the 1991 CAG bird. I spent all day Saturday trying to find the correct font with no luck. They'll be right when they are done. Trust that.

Screen_181216_002949.thumb.jpg.aee8ab8d57db8afd48f733addb833fc3.jpg

Screen_181216_015634.thumb.jpg.842c18aae96bb11bc387e6a0b6bf7171.jpg

Screen_181216_003556.thumb.jpg.cfb86dbdfbfef0d1d817879c70d06e48.jpg

Edited by Bananimal

Putting the final touches on the 91-92 CAG and XO and the 96-97 XO. Once I get them done, I'll use them as a base for all the others. It's coming along nicely.

Wow! thank you very much for your work, i´m going to love this liveries too! Merry Christmas for you and your family.

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Wow! thank you very much for your work, i´m going to love this liveries too! Merry Christmas for you and your family.

F.

Merry Christmas to you too.

I planned on getting at least one day of painting in through the holiday, but was too busy. I'll resume these as this week progresses.

I spent about 1.5 days hand drawing the Steel Magnolia font on the 1991 CAG bird as I simply could not find that font for the life of me. Also spent a good bit of time fixing the "Warlords" and "Marines" text on the tanks. Probably about 2.5 days. Lots of different tanks on these skins. The text compresses with the model's mesh toward the front of the tank so you have to warp it back. And you have to warp it across a seam in the model. Pain in the butt, but they are done.

Here's a few photos of completed birds. They are definitely stout looking in game. Note the tail lettering on the 1997 XO bird. It's was changed to BM in 1997 just before the squadron was shut down. I also did the 1996 version with VM on the tail as seen in the lithographs posted earlier in this thread. Also of note is the camo on the pilot helmets. The Desert Storm era birds will have period correct Chocolate Chip Desert camo and the others will have the typical Marines Woodland camo as they should. Thanks to Carl for pointing that out to me.

Take a look at the tanks on the first few pictures I posted and the tanks on these below. Proper scale is everything in creating a convincing replica in the game. That first pic below just oozes authenticity to me. Everything is scaled correctly. It looks badass to be frank. I will spend whatever time is necessary to get it right. The results below are what I'm after when I paint.

Screen_181219_213936.thumb.png.771619e76d6b07a5769e149bfb2e9cdf.png

Screen_181222_022250.thumb.jpg.744c413b371289070a2ffc7b81bd7b03.jpg

Screen_181223_113808.thumb.jpg.c619700834433ed651990fb72c8209ad.jpg

Edited by Bananimal

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Did you ever finished this liverie? it looked awesome. Best for you and you family, thank you in advance.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok fellas, the files are uploaded. There's a total of 30 planes if you download all three packs. These are definitely cool. Many have unique fuel tanks. They should be approved by tomorrow and I'll update the OP with a link to the files then. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Edited by Bananimal

Ok fellas, the files are uploaded. There's a total of 30 planes if you download all three packs. These are definitely cool. Many have unique fuel tanks. They should be approved by tomorrow and I'll update the OP with a link to the files then. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD HERE

thank you Bananimal your work is so great! thank you for your time and effort.

did you plan to give the f-14 some love when the templete is releasedß