Su33 recent carrier landing information

ruddy122

Starting to fly the Su33 to Learn carrier ops for upcoming F/A-18 and F-14A DCS modules

Any recent 2014 or newer info on Su33 carrier landing techniques in this forum?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

Ok

Thanks for the info

Do you know where I can see some screenshots on an on glide path approach to the Kutznetsov on short final?

Had pitch problems yesterday resulting in three ramp strikes not good

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

Oh well

Practice makes perfect

My gouge speeds are

290 kmh and 3 m/s for minimum speed (no weapons and at 2500 kg)

310-320 kmh and 4 m/s for all configurations

Just using them as starting points til I get better

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

Oh well

Practice makes perfect

My gouge speeds are

290 kmh and 3 m/s for minimum speed (no weapons and at 2500 kg)

310-320 kmh and 4 m/s for all configurations

Just using them as starting points til I get better

Just look at the AoA indicator and follow the waypoint indicator. You can also use the Autopilot for the beginning

here is my attempt on carrier landing. i am not a pro, just a few tries. i prefer to be little fast and high for the last min suprises

Edited by ebabil

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I can't help you with that i'm afraid. I just started to land consistently on the carrier. I first tried to use the instruments and avionics to guide me in. But that always failed me (i'm doing things wrong here).

Then i started to ignore the instruments and avionics and use my gut feelings and eye's and now i can 99% of the time. Maybe i should just try this approach with AAR as well cause i can't refuel for sh***t using all the indicators.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Thanks for the advice

I'll keep practicing till I get it right

Just trusting my gut and my flying abilities right now

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the great advice!

I'm starting to land on the Carrier :thumbup: at a decent speed 270-280 KMH

A lot more concentration that shooting rockets, bombs, Alamos and Archers :joystick:

Here some screenshots for today catching the two wire on the Kutz from my ancient computer.

Someday I will get a new one once I get more funds

Cheers

Lucky

Screen_170514_101501.thumb.jpg.a50d92cf7b0ad1843990f43f6b27ed56.jpg

Screen_170514_101537.thumb.jpg.fe3382e0dd2b13224772bd91641e5bcb.jpg

Screen_170514_101552.thumb.jpg.be0dfec71aa759458ae85cc361f2879d.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

• 3 weeks later...

You need to be in nav mode, select the carrier in landing mode. Then you put the little circle in the big circle and you follow that until the landing.

Speed should be from 240 to 290 kph, the flight computer will calculate it for you depending on the weight of your aircraft.

There's no such thing as visual approach here, the landing mechanics are old and scripted so you'll just explode if you don't come in with a proper approach

I have noticed that sometimes keeping the small circle inside the larger one can get you crashed. Keep an eye on your surroundings too. I've tried a landing and had to speed up and put the small circle above the larger one or else I would have crashed into the carrier's port side :D Whereas more often it will succeed.

If you notice that the circle puts you way too low I would advise to ignore the circle once you are at 1.0 nm away from touchdown.

Edited by ZeeMan90

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO

yeah i didn't mention id but if the carrier moves (and it should) it'll get you a little behind so the last 500 meters you'll have to see if you need to increase your RPM a bit or decrease it

• 3 weeks later...

Just something I noticed while flying the Su33 in 2.1 with the Normandy map

The Su33 is a little more responsive on approach and easier to fly and trim to land on the carrier

It could also be that I'm getting better at carrier ops

Anybody else noticed that in DCS 2.1?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody confirm this?

If I hit the deck before the cables my Cy-33 explodes although AoA speed is fine, gear is down, hook is out, flaps to the max.

Happened now for the third time. However if I land somewhere between cable 4 and 3 it's a smooth landing with no calamity involved :D

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO

Can somebody confirm this?

If I hit the deck before the cables my Cy-33 explodes although AoA speed is fine, gear is down, hook is out, flaps to the max.

Happened now for the third time. However if I land somewhere between cable 4 and 3 it's a smooth landing with no calamity involved :D

In ver 1.5 it's always been that way. On the Kuznetsov you cannot touch the deck short of the wires without exploding.

• Like 1

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

In ver 1.5 it's always been that way. On the Kuznetsov you cannot touch the deck short of the wires without exploding.

You can touch down and catch the very first wire (closest to the stern) but you need to be in just the right position and close to the first wire to do it without exploding. I've done it a few times (once just a few minutes ago). Hopefully the F-14 and F-18 are better and will not explode just because you're not close enough to the wires. :thumbup:

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

It was shown in the Video @E3 that they clearly touched down prior to the wires and rolled across the first one.

The video I saw I could barely make out where they touched down. :P That's good for the F-18. I just hope the F-14 is that good. :thumbup:

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

• 4 weeks later...

I have downloaded the new Entry.lua which should enable the new PFM, and tried my luck with carrier landings. I've never tried this before.

I use auto-thrust to keep my speed stable and I manage to touch down and catch one of the cables with my tailhook. It slows me down very effectively, to full stop. But then it pulls me backwards and throws me back over the carrier's stern right into the sea. I have tried to disengage the tailhook when I've come to a halt, but that had no effect.

I also tried to reduce the final approach speed with auto-thrust ON, but even with the speedbrake out and at practically horizontal flight, I cannot get below 250 km/h.

It seems to me that there is a bug in the function of the catching cable. Or am I doing something wrong?

Unfortunately I haven't found anything about carrier landing in the flight manual

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I have downloaded the new Entry.lua which should enable the new PFM, and tried my luck with carrier landings. I've never tried this before.

I use auto-thrust to keep my speed stable and I manage to touch down and catch one of the cables with my tailhook. It slows me down very effectively, to full stop. But then it pulls me backwards and throws me back over the carrier's stern right into the sea. I have tried to disengage the tailhook when I've come to a halt, but that had no effect.

I also tried to reduce the final approach speed with auto-thrust ON, but even with the speedbrake out and at practically horizontal flight, I cannot get below 250 km/h.

It seems to me that there is a bug in the function of the catching cable. Or am I doing something wrong?

Unfortunately I haven't found anything about carrier landing in the flight manual

Was the carrier moving or stationary? I ask because, with PFM enabled, you don't "stick" to the carrier deck. It simply moves at whatever speed it's going right out from under you. From your description, that's what I think is happening.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Was the carrier moving or stationary? I ask because, with PFM enabled, you don't "stick" to the carrier deck. It simply moves at whatever speed it's going right out from under you. From your description, that's what I think is happening.

Oh s.... yes the carrier was moving as I think they do in reality. So I was frozen in my position and the carrier was moving forward underneath me. And of course gravity wasn't switched off, so splash...

Well this smacks of a bug!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Oh s.... yes the carrier was moving as I think they do in reality. So I was frozen in my position and the carrier was moving forward underneath me. And of course gravity wasn't switched off, so splash...

Well this smacks of a bug!

Actually, a WIP probably. I'm sure it's something they're aware of. No friction between the tires and carrier deck. Kind of hard to miss given the -33's operating environment.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

SU-33 Aircraft Carrier Landing (PFM)

My first attempt at creating a video on YouTube.

I've read the comments of the RL F-18 pilot, and I respect everything he is saying. But I have had no training of any kind and I haven't found much in terms of tutorials. So I tried various approaches until I had one that worked reproducibly. And the one that works for me is to let auto-thrust manage the throttle, and I focus on the glide plath using the stick. And I land on sight.

In this mission I was caught by the second rope, and Bitching Betty did not yell "Over-G!!!" so that wasn't too bad. When I have recovered from the stress I will try to use the glide path and AoA indications, and probably kill myself. I find that the SU-33 throttle has a somewhat delayed response, which is not ideal for controlling anything.

PS: I would like to hear from an experienced SU-33 pilot what he or she thinks about auto-thrust.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

I've read the comments of the RL F-18 pilot, and I respect everything he is saying. But I have had no training of any kind and I haven't found much in terms of tutorials. So I tried various approaches until I had one that worked reproducibly. And the one that works for me is to let auto-thrust manage the throttle, and I focus on the glide plath using the stick. And I land on sight.

In this mission I was caught by the second rope, and Bitching Betty did not yell "Over-G!!!" so that wasn't too bad. When I have recovered from the stress I will try to use the glide path and AoA indications, and probably kill myself. I find that the SU-33 throttle has a somewhat delayed response, which is not ideal for controlling anything.

PS: I would like to hear from an experienced SU-33 pilot what he or she thinks about auto-thrust.

I know that auto-thrust is not used during landing and refueling in the air.

For the video: You can press '1' multiple times to switch to landing mode and press 'LCTRL + ~' to select the carrier. Use the big circle to navigate toward the carrier till you find a small circle popped-up, indicating your ILS deviation. You can use it as 'ball' reference since the ball on kutz is barely perceivable.

Position yourself so that the small circle is in the center of the HUD, meaning you're on glidepath and lined up. If you did it right the big circle and the small circle will both in the center. Do not chase them however.

Try to keep in the glideslope and on-speed AOA at least 1.4km (3/4nm) from the carrier. IRL that's the range to call the ball. In the video you flew too low and there's barely any time for you to adjust to landing glideslope.

Sight picture should be like this:

2d1jwp4.jpg

2djun3n.jpg

A guide that seems quite well written to me and sticks to NATOPs standard: http://www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/http:/www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/styled-9/styled-6/index.html

Fly the ball and AOA as always.

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.