VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle Reviews?

Foul Ole Ron

In short it’s amazing. Coming from a Warthog it is a big step up. While not perfect, it’s darn close.

User overview:

Virtual Detents (since the physical were removed...best channel for Virpil software tutorials)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's ok for WWII sims, but no afterburner detent = no go.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

The vast majority of throttles sold over the last couple of decades didn’t have detents. Those that did/do were not sold in great numbers.

CH Pro Throttle - no detent

Saitek X55/56 - no detent

TM TWCS - no detent

* Logitech G940 - no detents (it kind of had them, but they failed within days/weeks of use)

* Virpil T-50 V3 - no detent

* *Virpil T-50CM2 - no detent

* Saitek X55F - detent

TM Cougar/TQS - detent

TM Warthog - detent

* Virpil T-50 V1/V2 - detent

* not sold in large numbers

** will be sold in greater numbers over time assuming another design doesn’t replace it.

With the exception of the short lived Virpil V1/V2, only TM or a relatively few X65f owners who ponied up the cash for the high end kit got to play with detents.

While it is disappointing that detents were removed from the newer design, that is an odd line to draw writing off arguably one of the best options offered to flight simmers.

All is not lost...The Hornet and Viper use mappable throttle lifts, and you can create a virtual detent for other jets in the Virpil software. Mine is mapped to the shift key at 79.5% which is perfect for the F-14. My left hand still executes an action (button press vs lifting/pushing through on my modded WH) to effect a detent.

Personally I lost a little and gained a lot more functionality across the board upgrading to the CM2. I now have 8 axes (6 physical and 2 virtual) with zoom literally at my finger tips. I finally have radar elevation and range which has been missing since upgrading from a TM cougar years ago. The additional 5way hats are icing on the cake filling in even more gaps in DCS while only sacrificing physical detents.

In addition 3D printable plans for finger lift detents already exist for the Virpil V3, and it is likely only a matter of time before the same option exists for the CM2 (it might already exist and I just missed it). So it will likely be possible to have your cake and eat it too.

Cheers.

It's really sad that they removed the detents... The problem naturally is that some people have reported that they wear out, but I have been using my T50 V2 for a year now rather extensively and the detents feel as crisp and nice as they did day one. The detents are actually awesome on the V2, a very nice metallic "deep" click and perfect friction to "push through".

They really should get them back with some updated design and write a disclaimer that they might wear out with time. Even if they would lose some click power after a while (not seen it in mine) - I am pretty sure that there will be some detent feeling left. I guess the problem is that a non ignorable percentage of the V1 and V2 users got problems with them and with their full right demanded a replacement to be sent. This really is too bad as my V2 detents works great.

I will not upgrade to a throttle without a detent. In a Jet sim it is way too important to have. And this is THE minus of the new CM2 that every reviewer mentions. It's just mechanical engineering which is a parade dicipline of the region. And it needs to be fixed...

PS. I had a Logitech G940 for 10 years+ and the detents did wear out with time - but they never went away completely. And I was fine with that, even if they where very "weak" in the end I could still feel them.

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

Yep same here. Until I can get a better throttle that does have detents I will stay with the Warthog.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The vast majority of throttles sold over the last couple of decades didn’t have detents. Those that did/do were not sold in great numbers.

CH Pro Throttle - no detent

Saitek X55/56 - no detent

TM TWCS - no detent

* Logitech G940 - no detents (it kind of had them, but they failed within days/weeks of use)

* Virpil T-50 V3 - no detent

* *Virpil T-50CM2 - no detent

* Saitek X55F - detent

TM Cougar/TQS - detent

TM Warthog - detent

* Virpil T-50 V1/V2 - detent

* not sold in large numbers

** will be sold in greater numbers over time assuming another design doesn’t replace it.

With the exception of the short lived Virpil V1/V2, only TM or a relatively few X65f owners who ponied up the cash for the high end kit got to play with detents.

While it is disappointing that detents were removed from the newer design, that is an odd line to draw writing off arguably one of the best options offered to flight simmers.

All is not lost...The Hornet and Viper use mappable throttle lifts, and you can create a virtual detent for other jets in the Virpil software. Mine is mapped to the shift key at 79.5% which is perfect for the F-14. My left hand still executes an action (button press vs lifting/pushing through on my modded WH) to effect a detent.

Personally I lost a little and gained a lot more functionality across the board upgrading to the CM2. I now have 8 axes (6 physical and 2 virtual) with zoom literally at my finger tips. I finally have radar elevation and range which has been missing since upgrading from a TM cougar years ago. The additional 5way hats are icing on the cake filling in even more gaps in DCS while only sacrificing physical detents.

In addition 3D printable plans for finger lift detents already exist for the Virpil V3, and it is likely only a matter of time before the same option exists for the CM2 (it might already exist and I just missed it). So it will likely be possible to have your cake and eat it too.

Cheers.

Point of order, sir! :lol: All of the Saitek HOTAS from 2000ish thru X65f had detents and sold in great numbers. Since these were the starter HOTASes, it made us get used to detents:

Saitek X36 (I remember moving the throttle, thinking "what are these bumps?!?" with my gameport version)

Saitek X45

Saitek X52/X52 Pro

Also the pretty rare Suncom had detents.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

FWIW, my Saitek X65F throttle is still my throttle across all military fighter platforms and the stick is my F-16 stick. But overall, I like the realism of a physical lift more. I cutout a board for my Cougar that required me to tilt the throttle to go to AB/IDLE so it acted as a lift. That's hard to do with the X65 base. So while I have my curve set for the AB to come on about at the X65 detent, I'm playing with a button for the AB "lift". Same with idle. But I don't necessarily see not having detents a major downside, especially since DCS makes it a little difficult to adjust for the detent. Lifts are arguably more realistic for a lot of platforms anyway.

What about WEP? It's been a long time since I played around with WWII sims and haven't in DCS at all but a quick search shows a lift maybe realistic for WEP in the Spitfire Also if the lift could be locked up to simulate the wire being cut, it would be realistic for the P-51. However, the MW50 wouldn't be tied to a lift/detent though from what I can tell.
Edited by Snake122

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

The X-52 had throttle detents? I had this thing more than 10 years ago... Maybe it's just me, but i can't remember any physical throttle detents...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

The X-52 had throttle detents? I had this thing more than 10 years ago... Maybe it's just me, but i can't remember any physical throttle detents...

Yeah, there were pretty weak and like pretty much all of them, you could remove them:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=67680

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

A virtual detent is hardly a suitable replacement for a physical detent or detents. A big step up from the Warthog throttle is nothing more than opinion. A big step up in QA issues perhaps. Sticking with the Warthog throttle, Black Hog add-on and a variety of detent options in Shapeways.

Edited by zcaa0g