[Old] FAQ Eurofighter Typhoon - Guided Discussion

DashTrueGrit

the difference that you notice between EUROFIGHTER and RAFALE and that RAFALE is an embarked plane.

Maybe the French when the Eurofighter was developing they wanted to make a boarded version and therefore they decided to detach themselves from the project and make their own plane for their own facts

The French pulled out before development of the Eurofighter was actually launched. Each side has its story to tell about the reasons why. Factually the French haven't decided on a common platform for AdA and MN by the time they left the program. Their stated requirement within the EFA program was 250 A/C which was also later on the specific requirement for the AdA only. So the French weren't particularly pushing for the EFA to be carrier capable. It was more about workshare arrangements and how the programme was setup, about the weighing of mission priorities and specifications.

The Eurofighter side's view was tje French wanted all and let others pay the bill and having settled their mind with no compromises towards their own requirements. The French view was that the Tornado programme was already overly complex and bound to become more expensive and late.

They all had their reasoning and there is probably some truth in all of these views.

The Rafale and Typhoon are in fact two quite different aircraft, albeot closer to each other than most other contemporary fighters. At the first glance they have a similar appearance, but they are different by design. The Rafale has an entirely different fuselage and intakr design, it has mid mounted delta wings with a lower sweep angle and close coupled canards, compared to the Typhoon with low mounted delta wings and long coupled canards. The underlying philosophy lies in these details.

Close coupled canards directly interface with the wing for increased lift generation and better AoA performance at the expense of more drag. Typhoon's long couple canards are designed for little interferwnce with the wings and less drag, but their long moment arm is creating the sort of instability and pitch authority the Typhoon has. The Rafale is argueably more maneuverable at low to medium subsonic speeds, the Typhoon scores at supersonic turn rates. The difference in engine thrust is actually not as significant if you factor in the weight difference in compareable configurations. But becomes more evident high up and when the Rafale is loaded heavily. Despite being somewhat smaller and lighter the Rafale has a higher MTOW than the Typhoon and thus a notably higher payload capacity.

it is in fact in the video where we see the assembly of the aurofighter nuts that this plane and ensures for high speeds and not for low speeds.

surely low speed and low altitude eurofighter and very unstable to fly and it is also dangerous.

Typhoon isn't unstable or dangerous to fly. The FCS will keep it safe, but it also constraints performance to some extend. The TKF design from 1979 featured two important design elements that where latter omitted from the eventual Eurofighter design, in particular twin fins and cranked delta wings. The EAP retained these and achieved a noticeably higher AoA. The Typhoon is lacking AoA authority which compromises its maneuverability in the lower speed regime. That's the reason why the EFEM program was launched which culminated into the development of the AMK which addresses some deficiencies of the current design with relative simple means, namely eing apex strakes, optimised fuselage strakes and enlarged flaperons.

Typhoon isn't unstable or dangerous to fly. The FCS will keep it safe, but it also constraints performance to some extend. The TKF design from 1979 featured two important design elements that where latter omitted from the eventual Eurofighter design, in particular twin fins and cranked delta wings. The EAP retained these and achieved a noticeably higher AoA. The Typhoon is lacking AoA authority which compromises its maneuverability in the lower speed regime. That's the reason why the EFEM program was launched which culminated into the development of the AMK which addresses some deficiencies of the current design with relative simple means, namely eing apex strakes, optimised fuselage strakes and enlarged flaperons.

But the AMK to date is still an unfunded upgrade like TVC nozzles and CFTs right? They did the developmental work and put together an upgrade roadmap, but none of the customers or partners have actually purchased it, or am I mistaken?

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

But the AMK to date is still an unfunded upgrade like TVC nozzles and CFTs right? They did the developmental work and put together an upgrade roadmap, but none of the customers or partners have actually purchased it, or am I mistaken?

That's correct. The AMK has been flight tested on IPA7 in late 2014/early 2015. It's precursor where the strakes trialed on DA5 in 2007. The AMK is still an option pitched for future capability programmes, which aren''t on contract. I'm somewhat optimistic that it will come, as it offers a number of advantages.

That's correct. The AMK has been flight tested on IPA7 in late 2014/early 2015. It's precursor where the strakes trialed on DA5 in 2007. The AMK is still an option pitched for future capability programmes, which aren''t on contract. I'm somewhat optimistic that it will come, as it offers a number of advantages.

I read a little about it, apparently its more then a little improvement. The pilot in the interview said it increased the roll rate by 100 percent and significantly improved its high AOA stability.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airbus-dands-completes-typhoon-aerodynamic-testing/117638.article

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

To my knowledge the Mirage 4000's canards were already trimable. The fixed canards already emerged from the 1960s on Mirage III knockoffs.

Well Dassault Refers to them as

"a fixed canard ancillary wing, dismountable and adjustable in flight"

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/mirage-4000/

And as to the Mirage III Knockoffs.

Are you thinking of the Mirage III Milan?

(Which was a pretty interesting design with those Whiskers)

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/milan/

Edited by mattebubben

Well Dassault Refers to them as

"a fixed canard ancillary wing, dismountable and adjustable in flight"

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/mirage-4000/

And as to the Mirage III Knockoffs.

Are you thinking of the Mirage III Milan?

(Which was a pretty interesting design with those Whiskers)

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/milan/

No I'm talking about the fixed, close coupled canards on the Kfir and Mirage IIIS for example. The Milan was merely a testbed woth long coupled canards, but non moveable IIRC.

No I'm talking about the fixed, close coupled canards on the Kfir and Mirage IIIS for example. The Milan was merely a testbed woth long coupled canards, but non moveable IIRC.

Oh well Since you were talking about 60s i assumed you were talking about the Milan.

Since the Kfir is mid 70s

(With the C1 having Small "Canards" and the 1976 C2 and later variants having full size canards)

And the Mirage IIIs got their Canards in the 80s to my understanding.

(With the Swiss Mirages getting theirs in a 1985-1988 upgrade program and Brazilian Mirage IIIs got theirs starting in 1989,+

The South African Atlas Cheetah around 86-87)

So i think the only Mirage III variant with canards in the 60s is the Milan.

Edited by mattebubben

• 2 weeks later...
PIRATE is the IRST - the German Tr.1 verison lacks them (which is a pity). IRST or Sidewinder, but not ASRAAM I would expect.

But all models - IIRC - had HMDs, so should get a HOBS capability.

I doubt MBDA would give details on current, advanced weapons so Storm Shadow, Meteor and Brimstone are likely out.

The Storm Shadow model is already within DCS. It is called 'SCALP' and you can add it to aircraft config files. However it is just for show, it does not launch (I added it to a tornado and tried ... no luck with launching it). Therefore as DCS has added the model, it says to me they intend to release it in an update at some time.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello, Typhoon avionics engineer here for over 13 years, working on the Tranch 1,2 and 3.

This is a huge task you have undertaken and I wish you the best of luck.

Just started building an A10 cockpit.... although might have to cancel that now :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Any news on the state of development? It would be nice to have more frequent information. Thank you.
+1

The ears are getting itching for some news.

Something to ameliorate the long wait.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

+1

The ears are getting itching for some news.

Something to ameliorate the long wait.

we will just have to wait and be patient, eurofighter is a long ways out, if they posted constantly they would be very quickly to run out of stuff to talk about. maybe when its closer to release we could see a more constant stream of pictures and videos

might i suggest reading one of the 3 manuals of the typhoon that have been found on the internet?

one option is you could cryogenically freeze yourself until the eurofighter comes out. that way you don't have to wait ;)

Edited by hi41000

Any news on the state of development? It would be nice to have more frequent information. Thank you.

The Eurofighter is in a very early stage of development. There's probably not much to report at this stage. That will change when it gets somewhat closer to release (in a few years).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

:cry:

Unfortunately that's the reality of developing such complex modules for DCS. I also wish it would be different. :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Unfortunately that's the reality of developing such complex modules for DCS. I also wish it would be different. :(
An interview with one of Ed's top rank personnel reported taking dcs eurofighter for a spin so I quickly ran away with the impression that she would be close to a-less-than-a year release.

A few years! I am going to reset my expectation I guess.

Very cool with having a robust release version.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

An interview with one of Ed's top rank personnel reported taking dcs eurofighter for a spin so I quickly ran away with the impression that she would be close to a-less-than-a year release.

Haha, I believe that when I see it. DCS history has shown it always takes much longer then expected!

That's not against TrueGrit (especially as they haven't even provided a release estimation AFAIK). It's just the nature of DCS due to its complexity.

Tornado3 small.jpg

no way it would be less then a year

but i would not find it hard to believe eurofighter coming out at the end of next year or early 2022

it really comes down to how they want to release the eurofighter, with all of its bells and whistles, bells and whistles for a german eurofighter, and or ed route of releasing it with several features missing and adding them down the road.

Edited by hi41000

no way it would be less then a year

but i would not find it hard to believe eurofighter coming out at the end of next year or early 2021

Early 2021 or early 2022?

Tornado3 small.jpg