Opinions please.....

Folks,

Please forgive me if this has been asked many times before. I did do a search before asking, but couldn't find a definitive answer:

Situation: New to DCS and very much at the beginning of the learning curve. I'm currently using a SpeedLink Black Widow controller. A combined joystick and throttle, ridder and power unit. At present i'm enjoying the UH-1, Gazelle, SU25 and SU27 modules.

Question 1: Should I consider trading up to a controller set which includes pedals - will there be a big enough improvement in my capability to control the aircraft with the inclusion of pedals?

Question 2: Assuming the consensus is that I should purchase a set containing pedals, what should I get? There seems to be hundreds of configurations out there, all with reviews on YouTube claiming that its simply the best. I have approx. £200-300 UK sterling to invest.

Thankyou

Sure you can go for hi-tech, extreme durability and precision, but when you just start, you might want to consider something less expensive. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars/euros to gain massively in funfactor

I went for 2nd hand Saitek Pro Pedals a few years ago and they've never let me down. It made me save money te be able to purchase other stuff down the road

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Sure you can go for hi-tech, extreme durability and precision, but when you just start, you might want to consider something less expensive. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars/euros to gain massively in funfactor

I went for 2nd hand Saitek Pro Pedals a few years ago and they've never let me down. It made me save money te be able to purchase other stuff down the road

With respect , i disagree . The OP clearly likes helos , which are much-enhanced with better pedals .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

With respect , i disagree . The OP clearly likes helos , which are much-enhanced with better pedals .

I also fly helo's a lot and I can do everything I want (e.g. land pretty much anywhere, slingload, weapons delivery etc.)

Sure, better and more expensive pedals might be more accurate and give better feedback.. all I'm saying, you don't need expensive pedals to do pretty much the same

This can be a really expensive hobby and it might scare people away if they think they need $300 pedals (aside from all other stuff needed), especially the newcomers. I'm merely saying it doesn't have to be that expensive to properly enjoy

I do agree though, that pedals in general are pretty much a necessity to this sim, especially if you fly helo's

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I also fly helo's a lot and I can do everything I want (e.g. land pretty much anywhere, slingload, weapons delivery etc.)

Sure, better and more expensive pedals might be more accurate and give better feedback.. all I'm saying, you don't need expensive pedals to do pretty much the same

This can be a really expensive hobby and it might scare people away if they think they need $300 pedals (aside from all other stuff needed), especially the newcomers. I'm merely saying it doesn't have to be that expensive to properly enjoy

I do agree though, that pedals in general are pretty much a necessity to this sim, especially if you fly helo's

Agree. If you have the doug to shell out, sure.

Myself started DCS with an old Saitek CYBORG with twist grip, as my old TM F-22, TQS and rudders ain't got USB. No issues with it except for spiking, though I went for a complete setup, aquired the TM T.16000M full package. Works perfect! Works even better when I discovered a little hatch under the rudders, so now I can whip out the spring and convert them between centering/non-centering in a heartbeat.

Now, how to mod the stick to be non-centering?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Folks,

Please forgive me if this has been asked many times before. I did do a search before asking, but couldn't find a definitive answer:

Situation: New to DCS and very much at the beginning of the learning curve. I'm currently using a SpeedLink Black Widow controller. A combined joystick and throttle, ridder and power unit. At present i'm enjoying the UH-1, Gazelle, SU25 and SU27 modules.

Question 1: Should I consider trading up to a controller set which includes pedals - will there be a big enough improvement in my capability to control the aircraft with the inclusion of pedals?

Question 2: Assuming the consensus is that I should purchase a set containing pedals, what should I get? There seems to be hundreds of configurations out there, all with reviews on YouTube claiming that its simply the best. I have approx. £200-300 UK sterling to invest.

Thankyou

You'll need to specify what you prefer to fly. Helicopters or fixed wing. If it's the former, yes pedals; if it's the latter, new HOTAS. Ultimately in the short term your choice will come down to this decision.

If you realy enjoy DCS and you're willing to stay with flight sims, IMO there is no way around decent pedals and on the long term, a good HOTAS as well. For helicopter use, the VKB T-Rudders and the Virpil WarBRD Rudders are some great pedals within your price range. Especially the VKB Rudders have a great reputation. Just be aware, that both are primarily aiming towards helicopters, as they don't have a toe brake axis wich can be annoying when flying jets. If you want a toe brake axis, the MFG Crosswinds are propably the best you can get for your budget. The Virpil ACE-1 pedals are probably in your price range as well (300€ excl. shipping, don't know what this is exactly in UK £), but as stated before Virpil rudders are all the time sold out and difficult to get. I'd recommend the the MFG Crosswinds, as you seem to like both helos and jets.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2