Suggestions For New System

I have a question on the new system. I've never owned a system with two HDD before. I assume the OS will come installed on the main HDD and nothing will be on the SSD? When I install DCS will it ask me which HDD I want to put it on? I've never been asked that in the past, so i'm not sure.

Buzz

I thought the idea was to keep the OS separate from the games? Otherwise, what's the sense of the SSD?

The speed, the loading speed. :thumbsup:

The OS will come installed. Where would they have put it?

Probably on the SSD.

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

This confuses me. If I put everything on the SSD. What is the main HDD for? It's huge at 1TB. The SSD is only 250g. I'll fill that up if I put the OS and all my games in it.

All this time I thought an SSD was just for games to keep them separate from the OS that's so snoopy with W10. It's always doing something in the background.

Buzz

This confuses me. If I put everything on the SSD. What is the main HDD for? It's huge at 1TB. The SSD is only 250g. I'll fill that up if I put the OS and all my games in it.

All this time I thought an SSD was just for games to keep them separate from the OS that's so snoopy with W10. It's always doing something in the background.

I would get bigger SSD and maybe even two of them if can. You definitely want Windows on SSD along with games.

I have one 256GB SSD for my Windows 10 and program files, and another 256 GB SSD for all my games ( and it is starting to get cramped). Will probably upgrade to a larger SSD for my games, or add a third.

I use my 1TB HDD for documents, pics, videos etc.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My present system has only one 500g HDD. It has W10 and all my games on it. It has everything on my computer on it. I only used 250g of it. How is what i'm doing now any different than my new system coming if I put everything on the SSD drive? What I have now is hardly fast. DCS takes forever to load.

Pictures are only 50mgs. I don't store any videos. I don't even need the pictures I have. My goal with the new system is all about the games. I want them fast and smooth. Wouldn't putting them by themselves on their own drive be better? A fast OS is no concern of mine.

Hey if that is all you are doing, and won't be adding more games and other things then yes your are likely ok.

Keep in mind DCS be a growing though, Normandy soon to be released followed by the eventual 2.5 merge and at some point Straight of Hormuz.

Currently my Caucasus are round 30 GB, 2.0 with only Nevada around 62 GB, not sure what total size of Normandy will be...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You read my original post. I edited it. I read up on SSD drives and I understand what they are now.

How about if I get a 120g SSD for the OS and what little else storage i need and keep the 240g SSD I have now for just games?

Can I just dump the HDD completely or is it still needed?

Buzz

You read my original post. I edited it. I read up on SSD drives and I understand what they are now.

How about if I get a 120g SSD for the OS and what little else storage i need and keep the 240g SSD I have now for just games?

Only you can guesstimate your storage needs going forward.

Personally for me my preference in order:

1: Have a SSD for Windows and Program Files. Another SSD dedicated for games. A third large HDD for everything else.

2: A larger SSD for Windows, Program Files, and Games. However I suggest installing games outside of the default Windows Program files install folder, like a custom folder such as C:// Games.

If you feel that 360 GB is enough for you, then go with your option of the two SSD's. They are always better than platter discs. Also keep in mind you cannot really fill completely a SSD, I think maybe around 80% or so is about all you will be able to utilize of it's total storage space.

I myself prefer to have a platter disc for everything else, as they are cheap as all get out.

Hey if nothing else, go with the one or two SSD's and you can always add another drive later if needed.

The reason I like two SSD's is it gets the game off of the same physical drive than Windows is installed on, and my philosophy is that is a good thing for read/write processes. But that may be just total conjecture on my part who knows LOL.

Don B

That's why I originally thought the OS would be on the HDD and the SSD would be empty to use for games. I don't care if the OS is a little slower. That's where it is on my present system and it's fine. All I want to be fast are the games.

Buzz

I don't care if the OS is a little slower. That's where it is on my present system and it's fine. All I want to be fast are the games.

Since your swap file along with other Windows background processes occur on your OS drive, having a slower drive for the OS can, and most likely will, affect the performance of your games, even if the games are on an SSD.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ok, thanks. I keep learning. It looks like an extra SSD is the answer.

:thumbup:

Most definitely do not put that OS on a platter drive...

Don B

:) !!!!!!!!

Finally

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Look my sig....I have to keep adding SSD after SSD as my son has TONS of games and I started recording DCS flights as well.

HDD is only for cold data these days, music files, videos, pictures, BACKUPS, etc...

Anything you work with, rip, transcode, game, xyz-it....onto a SSD ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well. I got the new system and ran DCS with everything turned up to max. 16x AA and AF. I'm getting 60-90 fps and it runs smooth. I'm happy.

:thumbup:

Congrats and have fun!

Don B

Look my sig....I have to keep adding SSD after SSD as my son has TONS of games and I started recording DCS flights as well.

HDD is only for cold data these days, music files, videos, pictures, BACKUPS, etc...

Anything you work with, rip, transcode, game, xyz-it....onto a SSD ;)

There's nothing on the HDD right now. The SSD is 223g and i'm using 143g of it with DCS with all my modules and IL2 BOS installed. Quite a difference in how fast it loads now.

One question. I've always used ATI cards. If someone with a 1060 card can give me their settings. There's a lot of them. I haven't touched anything yet.

Buzz