Few questions from user

Groszek

Hello!

I've got few questions about DCS and it current state. There are some problems atm and i can not use full potential of the game.

1. What's the ETA for release of stable version 2.x? (Leaving 1.5.x dead)

2. When u will remake Caucas map? (strange hot ground areas unable to use FLIR systems, cant spot hot vehicle/people)

3. Trees... When trees will be fixed? AI shooting through trees and aiming through them? (I can't spot them/lock/shoot, but they can just fine)

4. Will u add r-73 missile to ka-50 in near future?

5. Are u planning to remodel Combined Arms? Adding inside look/more simulation like steering?

Edited by Groszek

1) After Caucasus has been upgraded to the new engine (No ETA)

2) After Normandy is done. (No ETA)

3) No ETA, but it's on the list

4) No

5) There has been some talk about a reworked Combined Arms (CA 2.0) but not much info on that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1) After Caucasus has been upgraded to the new engine (No ETA)

2) After Normandy is done. (No ETA)

3) No ETA, but it's on the list

4) No

5) There has been some talk about a reworked Combined Arms (CA 2.0) but not much info on that.

Any quote/link to official statement? It sound like Star Citizen we will do this, then this and this... Oh and this! Still no game released ;) If you know what i mean.

Would be nice to get answer from community manager or sb from the team, whats the progress on this things.

Short answer to all the questions and where to find official announcements.

1. No announcement of when.

2. No exact information about a release date.

3. It'll be announced when there is some definite info regarding incorporation.

4. No, there is no announcement saying they are releasing an R-73 for the Black Shark.

5. CA 2.0 has been mooted, but there has been nothing said about exactly what form it will take or when it will come.

For further details - do a search. ED do not answer queries of this nature, they communicate through weekend updates. That is the place to start looking - every Friday.

I've done some research then...

Once versions 1.5 and 2.0 are debugged and working well next year, we will integrate them into a common Ver. 2.0 release (stable) version that will include both the free Caucasus map, the Nevada DLC map, and future maps. At that time, we will drop Ver. 1.5 and Ver. 2.0 will be the only supported DCS World version.

-December 11th, 2015

First they say that at maybe end of 2016 we will have integrated version 1.5 and 2.0 with 2 maps...

We see 2016 as a big year for aircraft carrier operations as we plan to release both Nimitz-class aircraft carrier and Kuznetsov-class aircraft carrier modules. Both of these modules will be incredibly detailed models with working elevators, interior hanger bays, animated ship systems, and the ability to walk around inside the ships. These will be optional modules that would replace the existing ships currently in DCS World.

-01-29-2016

They are working on aircraftcarriers! Detailed fancy etc. I can even walk inside the ships.

Our current focus is on the merger of DCS World 1.5 with DCS World 2.0. This version, termed DCS world 2.5, will return us to a unified DCS version with the new graphics engine and be capable of supporting multiple maps. In addition to these features, we also plan to include an improved Caucasus map, new and improved explosions and clouds, improved network code, and the new procedural grass and ground clutter.

In parallel with DCS World 2.5, we continue to make progress on the DCS: Strait of Hormuz map, DCS: Normandy map, DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, DCS: Spitfire IX, the option to add a Garmin GNS 430 navigation device that can be installed on various aircraft, continued improvements to Combined Arms, new additions to the DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range map, new campaigns, Kuznetsov and Nimitz-class aircraft carriers, Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft updates, new effects, and other efforts mentioned in previous newsletters.

They still focus on integration of 1.5 and 2.0 thats cool! In PARALLEL they will continue progress on 2 maps, F/A-18C!!! and much more...

Perhaps our biggest focus is on the huge DCS World 2.5 Update that will unify DCS World 1.5 and 2.0. Not only will the DCS World 2.5 be one version to rule them all, it will also include a vastly improved Caucasus map. Features of the new map will include improved and higher resolution textures and elevation mesh, improved trees, higher density of ground objects, improved lighting and shadowing, terrain projected shadows, procedural grass, and other improvements. Best of all, this will be our free gift to you.

DCS World 2.5 is still on track to be available in 2016.

Their MAIN GOAL is DCS World 2.5! Amazing and improved map Cacasus. And its still arrive in 2016. AMAZING!

We have determined that the DCS World 2.5 update will not be available in 2016 as we had earlier hoped. This is mainly due to additional work needing to be done of the Caucasus map update, and we don’t feel it can be accomplished within the next two months at a high level of quality. Before we can complete this map update, we first need to finalize and release both the Nevada map update and the Normandy map. Those, along with the Spitfire, are now our highest priorities. Once the Nevada update and the Normandy map tasks are complete, our map team can return to the Caucuses map and move the 2.5 closer to an Open Beta release.
What O.o 2016 in news covered that its coming out also 2 high detail aircraft carriers, f/a-18c, improved caucas map?

So change of mind to finish first normandy and spitfire first?! WTH?

Can sb explain me this? They almost finished dcs world 2.5,improved caucasus map(the best map in game, the most used one) and they just drop it for normandy map(3/4 of the map is WATER)?

Oh... It's almost end of the MARCH 2017 :) Still no update about 2.5, caucas map etc. etc.

• Like 1

I've done some research then...

(...) also 2 high detail aircraft carriers, f/a-18c, improved caucas map?

So change of mind to finish first normandy and spitfire first?! WTH?

Can sb explain me this? They almost finished dcs world 2.5,improved caucasus map(the best map in game, the most used one) and they just drop it for normandy map(3/4 of the map is WATER)?

Oh... It's almost end of the MARCH 2017 :) Still no update about 2.5, caucas map etc. etc.

I've been wondering about this for one heck of a long time now, but didn't want to be a rectal orifice and actually ask on the forum, so thanks for doing it for me :) The ED team members have their own lives and their own concerns, and ultimately it boils down to this:

They'll do what they feel like, when they get around to it.

Personally, I'd love 2.5 with the updated Caucasus map, and a really good PFM for the MiG-29, but I think it'll be a very long time before those things become available. It gets done when it gets done, but only when the development team feels like getting around to it, and when they aren't preoccupied with other more pressing matters (such as doing the kinds of work they can actually make a living at!) I'm not entirely sure, but I believe DCS World is actually a side project for the fine folks that comprise the ED development team, and they, frankly, have more important things to attend to than DCS itself. I could be wrong, but this is truly a niche product and I can't imagine anyone earning a living with full-time development on PC combat flight sims, especially not one like DCS World--it's too enormous in scope and complexity (as well as drive space!), but it appeals, by its nature, to only a very small number of people.

In other words, don't hold your breath!

Peace and happy warfare

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

The battle simulator website says they are full time, which would explain the constant sales to generate revenue.

Perhaps the reason they switched from Caucases to Normandy for the time being is money?

Maybe they need more money and thus went for a map that sells as opposed to 2.5 which is supposed to be free.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

The thinking probably went something like....

Need to get F/A-18C out. For that we need carrier ops.

For carrier ops, we need 2.5 integration, because it's a waste of time to band aid it to get it out for 1.5x just to have to add things back in for 2.5.

To complete 2.5 integration we need to finish Normandy, so it's 2.5 ready. No sense in releasing it just to turn around and have to patch it again, wasting more manhours.

Spitfire is almost done, so we can finish that and release "with" Normandy.

Now throw in the "usual" problems and setbacks in any development project and that's how we got here. I also believe that optimizing for VR has been an especially difficult challenge because the engine was probably designed with target FPS in the 60 range and now they're trying to push it to 90 and any of us with headsets will tell you that we're still suffering from hitching which destroys the quality of VR gameplay, in single player, much less multiplayer.

I'll agree it is a little disheartening to go back and see posts from years ago that made it sound it was less than 12 months away just to see delays longer than 12 months added on top of it, but really, what else is there?

Or, they spent like 9 months working on one thing, and realized quickly that everything's they did would be incompatible with everything they've ever done prior, unless first they reworked those codependent systems in a way that would honor the new changes.

This smells of naïveté directing.

- a director

TFC and ED are trying to balance this all out and stay in business while upgrading everything, quite a bit of juggling going on trying to get the Caucasus up to date with NTTR, Normandy etc, so the base can merge together into one install.

I'm sure ED is very very keen for this merge to happen, before this can happen ED is still trying to keep everyone somewhat happy, us consumers and commercial contracts. This is only from my perspective and looking at the latest updates that are rocking the boat a little.

I posted this below recently, it is a little old, Wags explains it very well in the interview, the direction and future of where DCS wants to be.

Old Interview: Matt Wagner On Black Shark 2009

Rock Paper Shotgun: Would ED rather work on sims for the military or the public? I get the feeling defence departments pay more and complain less.

"Matt: We want to work on both! The developments are very much complementary. We have a development engine, which for want of a better term we call TFCSE (The Fighter Collection Simulation Engine). This engine is under continuous development and enhancement. Therefore the military gains an advantage of using technology that is state of the art, and the public get an entertainment title that has improved fidelity from our military experience (obviously limited to those are areas that are not classified!). We therefore can amortise our development costs across two markets, to the benefit of all. Military contracts are not a license to print money, as often they are required to be done on a “cost plus” basis, and I can assure you that they are very demanding as the simulation has to be perfect so as not to introduce “negative training”. In addition, gaining/winning military contracts is highly unpredictable, whereas for entertainment titles, we can plan a business over several years."

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/200...n-black-shark/

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Constant updates of the progress...

ED's update policy is 'when they have something to say, they will say it'.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

U must be joking with development updates, every friday... Or u didn't read thread.

News » Official Updates main thread

DCS World Weekend News

DCS 2 NTTR changelogs and updates

DCS World 1.5 Changelog and Updates

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The Friday updates usually contain the latest information on upcoming developments, for example they have had information on the upcoming Normandy Map for the past few months now. This is why people have been repeatedly suggesting this as the best source of information.

Delay is pretty much a constant with software development. There have been times in the past where I have added a certain extra time to my estimates on when a project (completely unrelated to DCS) will be completed, so as to plan for unexpected delays when (not if) they occurred. The more complex the project, the more potential points there will be for unexpected delays to occur. Often the difficulty is not so much in the coding itself but the implementation: much of development consists of testing each component, figuring out why it is not working, and then (trying to) fix it. Rinse and repeat.

One thing that you might want to do is update your 1.5 installation to the Beta version (you can do this to the existing installation without having to re-install it, but I can't remember how). This way you will get any updates sooner, at the risk of also receiving a few bugs (although on the flip side, you may also receive bug fixes sooner).

The Friday updates usually contain the latest information on upcoming developments, for example they have had information on the upcoming Normandy Map for the past few months now. This is why people have been repeatedly suggesting this as the best source of information.

Delay is pretty much a constant with software development. There have been times in the past where I have added a certain extra time to my estimates on when a project (completely unrelated to DCS) will be completed, so as to plan for unexpected delays when (not if) they occurred. The more complex the project, the more potential points there will be for unexpected delays to occur. Often the difficulty is not so much in the coding itself but the implementation: much of development consists of testing each component, figuring out why it is not working, and then (trying to) fix it. Rinse and repeat.

One thing that you might want to do is update your 1.5 installation to the Beta version (you can do this to the existing installation without having to re-install it, but I can't remember how). This way you will get any updates sooner, at the risk of also receiving a few bugs (although on the flip side, you may also receive bug fixes sooner).

GUIDE: Using DCS Updater to Update, Revert, Repair, or Install Modules

A regular poster on the forums used to have as their sig:

Good - Cheap - Fast

Pick any two

Which two do you all want ?

"Good", we have. (Go ahead; disagree. Make my day.)

"Fast", we have. (To the limits of YOUR computer. I get just under 30 fps in Las Vegas.)

"Cheap", we have. ($50 for a top quality sim of a Spitfire? Hell YES. I'd pay double.)

chuck-yeagers-advanced-flight-simulator_9.gif

From 1987, thirty years ago.

fa93329ffbe5e7abb600ddabed20024cedade35f.jpg

December, 2015

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Any news when we will finally have 1 RELEASE? Not 2 versions which both are in some test phase, and in meanwhile we are getting bombarded by pointless DLCs, like dangling keys in front of baby`s face. What is the point of this while main core sim , along with its bugs and errors remain unchanged more or less...?

Im sick of wasting SSD space.

Can any of devs or community managers shed a light on this please?

Any news when we will finally have 1 RELEASE? Not 2 versions which both are in some test phase, and in meanwhile we are getting bombarded by pointless DLCs, like dangling keys in front of baby`s face. What is the point of this while main core sim , along with its bugs and errors remain unchanged more or less...?

Im sick of wasting SSD space.

Can any of devs or community managers shed a light on this please?

They're working hard on this. As much as it annoys you, it is even more annoying for the devs, because it's a pain in the ass to develop stuff for different versions!

And regarding size: If you run 1.5 and 2.0 now, you won't save space with the merge, because 2.5 with Caucasus and Nevada installed will be about the same size as 1.5 and 2.0 together. It's just an installation less, but size stays pretty much the same.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

And regarding size: If you run 1.5 and 2.0 now, you won't save space with the merge, because 2.5 with Caucasus and Nevada installed will be about the same size as 1.5 and 2.0 together. It's just an installation less, but size stays pretty much the same.

Actually he and others will save quite a bit of space. Sure the maps will take up the same space, but then there is the overhead, the engine, the multiple module installs, multiple save game folders, track folders etc. etc. etc.

Yeah 2.5 can't get here soon enough. It will make DCS World what it is meant to be, a unified open world high fidelity simulation platform.

Another benefit of 2.5 would be the ability of the developers to focus on improving features which are sorely missing or severly broken in the current release or beta 1.5 builds.

Things like improved explosions, improved visibility, new clouds, AI logic, ATC, etc. can't be developed until the merge, it simply doesn't make any sense to code them twice.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I thank you for prompt and concrete answers,but what sucks is that no devs tried to posted anything...

Meaning they either cant be bothered to read forum posts of their customers or (even worse) they cant be bothered and actually finish what they have started.

HELOOOO ED - You released Nevada year ago, as "stop gap measure" where is the promised end result finally after more then a year?!?!

BTW - Where are the new Horumtz or Normandia maps as well?