New Pilot navigation Question

rossto1965

Hello All,

I apologize in advance for the basic nature of this question. if someone can direct me to some good navigation tutorial that would be a big help...

Any how, i am a new pilot to DCS and I have been learning the F-5E and was very happy to see the new Aggressor Campaign released this week. Mostly because I want to fly in 2.0x and NTTR but there was not much content there until now.

So I was flying the Familiarization tour mission and most of the nave points FLEX, FYTTR etc are given as radian and distance form LSV. That was cool until I got about 60 miles out from LSV and the signal was lost.

How do I locate these way-points( for example GARTH) when I am outside the range of LSV?

Thanks!

Edited by rossto1965

Thanks, I also found this thread. Looks Like TACAN requires line-of-sight which can get a little dodgy with the mountains in Nevada and the whole curvature of the earth thing...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=167517&highlight=tacan+range

Curvature of the earth isn't a thing in DCS

And mountains yes, just either navigate around them via other TACAN stations or fly high enough

+1 for "fly high enough"

Basically, you should know (from your flight planning) which heading you should be flying between waypoints, and you continue on that course until the new TACAN signal can be picked up. If you're at low altitude you need some form of inertial navigation, or you need to navigate by using pilotage (visual identification of mountains/roads/towns/etc.).

On the real charts, every navaid has specific notices about minimum bearings/distances/altitudes at which the signal cannot be received.

For example, the LAS VORTAC:

https://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info?id=LAS&type=VORTAC&name=LAS+VEGAS

includes the note:

VORTAC UNUSBL 025-160 BYD 20 NM BLO 6,000 FT; 160-200 BYD 20 NM BLO 9,000 FT; 200-220 BYD 15 NM BLO 9,000 FT; 200-025 BYD 25 NM BLO 11,000 FT; 220-245 BYD 35 NM BLO 15,000 FT; 245-260 BYD 35 NM BLO 14,000 FT; 260-275 BYD 35 NM BLO 14,000 FT; 275-310 BYD 35 NM BLO 16,500 FT.

If you parse this out and plot it on a sectional, you'll see that these correspond to various mountain obstructions around the Las Vegas basin.

--gos