1st Module

rossto1965

Ok, after a couple of weeks learning the sim and the SU-25T, I am ready to buy my first module. What is the best choice...

F-5E - Looks great, moderate level of difficulty

A10A - Ground pounder like the SU-25T, moderate level of difficulty, older module (FC)

F-15C - moderate difficulty, older module(FC)

A10C - Looks great, looks like a very detailed (read difficult) module, looks very popular among on line squadrons.

or something else - M-2000? Flaming Cliffs?

Thanks for the comments!

A bonus 2nd question. what is the best way to get in to multiplayer? It is getting lonely out here on my own. What do I need for talking to other pilots?

Thanks

Edited by rossto1965

M2000C is the only 4th gen fighter for DCS World with advanced systems modeling (ASM)

easier than A10C though

A bonus 2nd question. what is the best way to get in to multiplayer? It is getting lonely out her on my own. What do I need for talking to other pilots

Ciribob's SimpleRadio

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F-5 would be a great first module as opposed to the usual FC3 route. Imo it would be better to start with a single full fidelity module, also its going on sale this weekend to celebrate it getting out of beta!

While simple radio is good for hard core comms, use TeamSpeak first ;)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

You should cancel the idea of F-15C or A-10A. If you like the low simulation level of such modules get flaming cliffs. More content for your money.

A-10C is one of the oldest modules and still one of the best. I highley can recommend it for those who like high fidelity technologies and weapons (compared to other modules). This modules is less about flying. Its more about handling weapons and blowing something up ;)

F5E is the opposite. Less technology and weapon handling but much more flying. No fly-by-wire or something. You will have much more feeling for the plane itself.

Both are awesome in their own way.

Did you think about WW2 planes?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I bought the A10 and KA50 bundle first but I fly the Mirage way more than those.

It is a highly capable dogfighter / interceptor and it can accurately (with a bit of practice) hit ground targets with bombs, rockets and guns. Its no tank killer though.

You already have the SU25T which can mostly do what the A10 can, but its not quite as slick and of course, it doesn't have THAT gun.

Maybe taking advantage of the F5E special now isn't a bad idea, the Mirage is pricey and still in early access. You get a fast jet, some air-to-air capability and some air-to-ground (similar to mirage but no wizzbang systems like the mirage). I'm considering the F5 but thinking I should wait for Viggen. :-)

Welcome aboard rossto!

First you should decide whether you want a 'study' aircraft or something that you can get in the air quickly without moving too many switches in the cockpit.

All FC3 aircraft are similar to the SU25T in fidelity (no interactive cockpits). But you get a lot of planes in one package.

If you want a 'study' sim, then before jumping to something demanding like the A10C I would recommend the F-86 or L39. They are not as fast or as deadly as other planes, but they are excellent planes to start with that give you the full "sim" experience.

They are also multi role in the sense that they can dogfight as well as drop some unguided munitions on ground targets.

Good luck!

If you're planning on getting into multiplayer then either A-10C or Mirage are great choices with different roles depending on whether you want to destroy AI ground targets with friends or shoot players down with friends. Of course both planes can do both but excel in only one respectively.

Alternatively you can just buy FC3 and have all options with several aircraft but at the cost of having the same fidelity as the Su25T.

If being a fighter pilot is your thing and you're pretty green then FC3 is the best route to access one of DCS's toughest learning curves, jet fighter tactics, from BVR to BFM there is so much to master.

If being the underdog and you think you're up to it go for the MIG-21, if you can handle getting shot out of the sky for the first few weeks without knowing why while still smiling then this is DCS hardcore for you.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Ugh! I just bought the Nevada module last night. Today it is bundled with the F-5. Guess I should jump on the FC/F-5 bundle. That will keep me busy for a while! Not the worst thing in the world, but bad timing on my part. the lesson here is never buy a module mid-week..

Tom

Edited by rossto1965

Welcome to the Community!

Alot of good advice here as always.

Whatever you choose for starters you will certainly expand your hangar eventually.

A10C to me is a must have. If you master its systems, all the rest will come easy.

Of ourse the F18 will be quite the learning curve when it comes.

So much goodness to look forward to here...you have landed in a good place. Well done!

<S>

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

welcome mate.

A bonus 2nd question. what is the best way to get in to multiplayer? It is getting lonely out here on my own. What do I need for talking to other pilots?

Teamspeak 3 and a Headset is usualy all you need.

Some time ago the Virtual Aerobatics server was a good startingpoint, even more so when you join some pilots on their Teamspeak Server.

You can talk to mostly nice folks and fly without being shot at, learn a bit of formation flying and at least on teamspeak can ask questions.

i liked to fly there, even if alone, as the world was not that empty :D

dont know the status of VA though, but you may take a look in the serverlist to find out :)

regards & have fun,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

F5E is a very pleasant aircraft to fly and its certainly more user friendly/ forgiving, than its closest technological counterpart: the Mig21BIS . The F5 is a multirole function aircraft. However Id suggest going for the M2000C as it is a 4th generation aircraft, and whilst not being as complex as the A10. It still offers much more modern technology over F5, most notably BVR capability, and CCIP/CCRP bombing modes. handling wise, M2000 handles well since it has a fly by wire system ( a feature of 4th gen fighters), and has an autopilot function which is convenient for longer distance flights. it is nice to be able to let go of the stick or not have to trim the aircraft, last but not least the m2000 allows a greater combat radius, or range, meaning you can travel farther or be able to afford to loiter in a area for longer periods.

Its primarily for air to air, however its still multirole due to its secondary abilities to use unguided bombs and Smart bombs ( with guidance by an external laser source). being a more modern fighters itl simply fit in to a greater deal of multiplayer servers.

A10C is complex,, but its also arguably acquired taste for some. Its a dedicated ground attacker that flies at subsonic speeds., but nonethless a cable attacker.

At the end of the day its your call.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

You didn't really indicate what you like to do when you're flying, or if you've flown other sim's and enjoy that so I'll respond on the assumption that you're new to flight simming in general and for that reason alone I'd advocate FC3.

Going with FC3 will give you a chance to fly a bunch of different types of platforms and a variety of mission profiles. You'll do some ground pounding in the A-10A, You can fly fighters, etc and that should give you some insight into your high fidelity model purchases. For example It'd be a shame to drop $50 on the A-10c only to find you really dislike flying AG missions.

Just my two cents.

Weekend sales. Flaming cliffs was my start. Later on the rest. Now i am addict and have everything. I can pick learn all i want. Best curve FC3 and then further.:pilotfly:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: