Thinking of getting Samsung Odeyssey +

Quekel

I've got an Odyssey+ and I'm pretty happy with it, but I don't have a previous HMD to compare it to. I don't actually have complaints about the HMD, just still adjusting to the clarity/fidelity tradeoffs :D

You definitely have to give it a chance to adapt to your head; it'll start off a bit uncomfortable. After a week or so the foam and I had adapted and I don't find it uncomfortable at all. One suggestion is to pull the back strap down a bit further than you might think, almost like you're tilting it backwards. It seemed to make a big difference compared to just placing it straight down. I definitely love the anti-SDE.

In terms of performance, I'm still trying to find the right configuration to get the right balance between clarity, FPS and quality for my tastes. DCS seems like it's a lot harder to find that balance compared to, say, Elite: Dangerous. Especially because many of the settings (like PD, or the SteamVR settings) require reloading the whole game, so it's really tedious and difficult to compare.

I've started with the VR preset then set PD 1.3, Cockpit display at 1024 (I think it's required for the mig-21 radar), Rain drops On, Cockpit Global Illumination On and Smoke Density to 1 or 2 (i don't really know how much this matters; haven't tried it much), and Preload set to like 60k instead of the default.

I've got a Ryzen 2700 @ 4ghz, 16GB ram and a 1070Ti so probably similar in terms of performance to your specs. You might have more single-threaded CPU performance available, not sure where the 4790 is compared to the 2700.

In terms of actually using VR; I will say this -- know the plane before you go VR in it. It'll be super slow to interact with if you don't know where all the switches are already. Like the IFF dial for the M200C is completely unreadable. I'm also really, really liking VoiceAttack + VIACOM Pro.

It's excellent, much better than all of the other headsets. I had the Rift and original odyssey and have used the Vive and Vive Pro (has same screens as the original odyssey).

I have found that PD of 1.3 give the best clarity in the sim.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I love my O+ as well. Haven't looked back at my Rift since.

As I wear glasses, I also got prescription inserts from VROptician.com (made in Germany), and made a silly makeshift strap for wearing it more comfortably (that's the only thing the Rift does better than the O+ -- comfort).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I love my O+ as well. Haven't looked back at my Rift since.

As I wear glasses, I also got prescription inserts from VROptician.com (made in Germany), and made a silly makeshift strap for wearing it more comfortably (that's the only thing the Rift does better than the O+ -- comfort).

That's a good point; I also wear glasses and that's one thing the O+ doesn't have a lot of room for inside the headset. I got lens adapters from WIDMOvr. Super happy with them.