Noob Question: Weapon Format for AIM-120C

memoric

Hello

So I just watched the Air to Air AIM 120 Missile youtube turorial.

There, he selects on the Weapons Format Page for the AMRAAM, size "small" and RCS also small. Previously i ignored this, and so my question: is it necessary to select this? Or can i let it on medium/medium setted as default?

I noticed that I sometimes need two missiles to really kill the target, is this affected by said settings?

Thank you!

regards

Hello

So I just watched the Air to Air AIM 120 Missile youtube turorial.

There, he selects on the Weapons Format Page for the AMRAAM, size "small" and RCS also small. Previously i ignored this, and so my question: is it necessary to select this? Or can i let it on medium/medium setted as default?

I noticed that I sometimes need two missiles to really kill the target, is this affected by said settings?

Thank you!

regards

I would like to know what does that programming really do. Affecting the aircraft radar filtering and target guidance, or missile seeker in the active state? As I believe it has something to do with the chaff rejection...

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 1 month later...

As per manual p.201:

Target Size Select. Allows selection of missile fuzing based on intended target size. This can be cycled between SML (small), MED (medium), and LRG (large). When this pushbutton is pressed, each option is shown as a separate pushbutton across the top of the Stores page.

Target Radar Cross Section. Allows selection of missile radar seeker priority based on the radar cross section of the intended target. This can be cycled between SML, MED, and LRG. When this pushbutton is pressed, each option is shown as a separate pushbutton across the top of the Stores page.

RCS setting effect is not very clear…

Size and RCS settings have been already discussed in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=219979&highlight=size+rcs

But we never had an official answer if it's really coded in-game and how it works, or if it's only an eye-candy option.

It would be nice if ED could be more specific on what is really working and how in their modules's manual. And if it's not working the function should not be selectable in the MFD or the switch/button/rotator/selector manipulable.

It's not the first time I ask myself such questions on a system. Often even when asking the question on this forum you don't have an official answer. Pretty frustrating.

Edited by diditopgun

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Sounds like these should help the missile determine when to explode (i.e. getting closer to a smaller target to ensure you actually hit something) and maybe which target to prioritize (i.e. fighter vs. awacs) among several in the seeker FOV. My guess is this is not modeled in the sim at all, regardless of what it does. The modeling of fuzing logic and target selection in DCS seems pretty unsophisticated by most accounts, and it's unlikely they would have implemented advanced capabilities for the Hornet without so much as mentioning it. It could probably be tested if someone had the time and inclination. In any case, it would be nice to know if it is in the works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

As per manual p.201:

RCS setting effect is not very clear…

Size and RCS settings have been already discussed in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=219979&highlight=size+rcs

But we never had an official answer if it's really coded in-game and how it works, or if it's only an eye-candy option.

It would be nice if ED could be more specific on what is really working and how in their modules's manual. And if it's not working the function should not be selectable in the MFD or the switch/button/rotator/selector manipulable.

It's not the first time I ask myself such questions on a system. Often even when asking the question on this forum you don't have an official answer. Pretty frustrating.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this I believe, refers to the missile's proximity fuse. The fuse can be set to have the detonation sensor set to small (you have to be really close to the missile before it goes off) Medium (you have to be reasonably close to the missile before it goes off) or Large (the missile will detonate even if it's fairly far from the jet)

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

It has to do with the fuze sensitivity, not how close you have to be. If you use 'small' vs an actual 'large' target (eg bomber), that warhead might go off well outside of lethal radius.

Use 'large' on a 'small' target (cruise missile) and you'll practically have to physically hit it (Which the 120 can demonstrably do, interestingly enough) to get a detonation, the detonation might be late etc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this I believe, refers to the missile's proximity fuse. The fuse can be set to have the detonation sensor set to small (you have to be really close to the missile before it goes off) Medium (you have to be reasonably close to the missile before it goes off) or Large (the missile will detonate even if it's fairly far from the jet)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Personally I like that functions are selectable even if not modeled (as with turning on IFF and squawking, etc...), but certainly it should be made clear in the manual what is selectable but not actually implemented.