Abeam Call

grant977

I'd say as long as your wingtip has left the runway threshold...

Intel Core i7 6700 3.40 GHz / Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming / 16 Go DDR4 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / 2x SSD Samsung de 250GB / HDD Toshiba 1To

Oculus VR Rift + HOTAS WARTHOG + SAITEK RUDDER PEDAL + TRACKir V5

"Fly high or stay home.. But avoid contrails"

F-16 Flight Simulator Instructor:joystick:

Pretty much immediately, as soon as you pass the LSO platform and are inline with the round down, start your turn (basing this off of your head position, not anything else on the aircraft). If you can see the back of the ship you are about to be too long. Also, should be about 1.2nm abeam as it is optimum.

on launch, make your 20 deg. clearing turn, then turn back to the BRC, climb to 600ft and at 1.0nm you can turn back into the downwind as long as there is no other traffic there.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Awesome thank you guys I get the picture now. I have been ripping it left as soon as the deck is cleared.

Cats 1 & 2 clear to the right 20 deg. then back to BRC and Cats 3 &4 clear to the left 20 deg. then back to BRC

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Just a quick question how long after abeam do you start the turn in?

Also another question after cat launch what is the proper procedure before I begin turn down wind? Do I fly out to 1nm at 600 feet Then start turn to downwind?

At the rundown (LSO platform), you begin the turn to the ninety. As you cross the ships wake, you expedite turn to final bearing and put your datum on the crotch. Then you zoom in, and follow the ball all the way down.

Once shot off the catapult, you do a clearing turn depending on which cats you were shot from (1/2, bow cats turn right, 3/4 waist cats turn left) climb to 500 ft/300 kts out to 7 DME then circle back reciprocal to BRC continue to 10 DME then turn in to BRC at 600/ 350 kts overflying starboard beam. Once at 1.5 DME, begin the 1% G turn following Lex's videos.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Also a good way to determine good abeam turning point is to look at your TACAN (scale set to 10) and when you at downwind leg look at arrow on the left side on the HSI and start turn when arrow is 5 degrees below 9 o'clock.

Yep, that's exactly what I do.

In my own mission, I have a trigger that tells me "abeam" when I am within those parameters 1.2 - 1.5 miles abeam.

Also a good way to determine good abeam turning point is to look at your TACAN (scale set to 10) and when you at downwind leg look at arrow on the left side on the HSI and start turn when arrow is 5 degrees below 9 o'clock.

I thought one of Lex's videos had the final turn starting at 10 degrees past perpendicular to the ship, in other words directly opposite the round down.

Scale of the TACAN display has no effect on this by the way.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I thought one of Lex's videos had the final turn starting at 10 degrees past perpendicular to the ship, in other words directly opposite the round down.

Scale of the TACAN display has no effect on this by the way.

Yeap, you are right, but it is a good habit to have scale set to 10 which gives you additional reference point for separation from the carrier (tip of the "wing" on HSI should touch the CRS line).

Really the turn is started when you see the white paint of the round down, or at the earliest, when parallel to the elevator hangar deck.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Really the turn is started when you see the white paint of the round down.

Good luck with that in VR :)

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals