DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #71
56RAF_Talisman

Sincerely hope that DCS are able to provide low level bombing delayed action fuses before the Mosquito is released; officially commissioned history of the Royal Air Force specifically mentions 10 second and 30 second delayed action fuses.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Spitfire! 'That's no aircraft, that's a bleedin' angel'
56RAF_Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #72
DD_Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56RAF_Talisman View Post
Sincerely hope that DCS are able to provide low level bombing delayed action fuses before the Mosquito is released; officially commissioned history of the Royal Air Force specifically mentions 10 second and 30 second delayed action fuses.

Happy landings,

Talisman
+1,000,000,000

Something of a prerequisite for low-level Mossie ops
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #73
Weta43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogonaut View Post
Management of ww2 birds are pretty straight forward. For a newbie an a10c is overwhelming, but a ww2 bird not so much.
Except if you hot start the A-10C, guns, A2A or Iron bombs are all simple, and you don't have to worry about managing the aircraft at all.

You never have to worry about reducing boost before rpm, about watching engine temps (ever cooked the A-10C climbing out at full power ?), about switching tanks etc, etc.

Yes, WWII aircraft have simpler weapons delivery systems, but engine management & navigation (+ TO & L) are generally more complicated.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #74
56RAF_Talisman

Time fused bombs get 2 mentions on this historical film of the day:

https://defenceoftherealm.wordpress....-world-war-ii/

Happy landings,

Talisman

Spitfire! 'That's no aircraft, that's a bleedin' angel'
56RAF_Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #75
rogonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
Except if you hot start the A-10C, guns, A2A or Iron bombs are all simple, and you don't have to worry about managing the aircraft at all.

You never have to worry about reducing boost before rpm, about watching engine temps (ever cooked the A-10C climbing out at full power ?), about switching tanks etc, etc.

Yes, WWII aircraft have simpler weapons delivery systems, but engine management & navigation (+ TO & L) are generally more complicated.
its really hard to compare an a-10c to ww2 birds in the first place.

navigation is not complicated in ww 2 planes, just looking out the window basically... TO and L are definatly harder but that´s the fun of it i think.

engine management in the german planes is fairly simple actually, just watch the temperature gauges and watch your rpm´s. i dont have lots of flying hours in the mustang so i cant really tell, tho i never had problems. is that really so demanding?

anyhow i think i get what your trying to say,

have fun flying
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #76
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
is that really so demanding?
The MAP/RPM relationship is something you'll need to watch. Low RPM + high boost = blown engine.
Hey doubters, check this out: "P-51D has another variant with new higher octane coming later, the K-4 and D-9 are getting new cockpits, all the WWII warbirds are getting their cooling reworked, and a DM is in internal testing"
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #77
rogonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
The MAP/RPM relationship is something you'll need to watch. Low RPM + high boost = blown engine.
yes i get that, thx
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #78
msalama
Veteran

K dood
Hey doubters, check this out: "P-51D has another variant with new higher octane coming later, the K-4 and D-9 are getting new cockpits, all the WWII warbirds are getting their cooling reworked, and a DM is in internal testing"
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #79
Robert31178

I don't think it's hard to compare warbirds to "modern" jets at all. Each has it's own set of problems to tackle.

Sure you don't need to keep an eye on your systems when flying the Warthog, but the prudent pilot does.....

Are the systems on warbirds simpler? Yep! Easier? Not necessarily!!

I've been flying warbirds for YEARS now in sims and had no problems adjusting to fully functioning Spits and Mustangs because I knew the systems. Um, the weaps employment on the Warthog was another issue all together, I'm amazed at how all of you are able to memorize all of the steps necessary to fully and capably employ that jet and others with modern avionics / weapons systems. I have a friend who is a top notch Warthog driver, and he tells me about how intuitive the systems are, and I'm like "hell, it's 40 steps to get the damn thing started!!"......so easier is a mindset in my opinion, it's all in what you are used to.

I found myself gravitating towards Huey because of it's simple systems, stuff I could easily grasp, and 3 years later I still fly it almost exclusively. The rest of the things I have that I enjoy are pretty much warbirds with jet engines it seems like. Sabre, F-5, etc.....

Last edited by Robert31178; 02-13-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote