F-18 SIMPLE Cold Start procedure

Akula

Hello all,

This list is for those that don't often do a manual cold start for the Hornet and often forget how to do it AND, hate going through the mundane lenthy training tutorial in DCS. There are a lot of steps involved and it takes time but it's fairly simple if you know your way around the cockpit.

**NOTE: Wags calls them DDI's. Although I'm sure that's what it's called today, they were always known as MFDs (Multi Function Display). Why they changed it is beyond me and moronic and since I'm a grumpy old man I call them MFDs :D

I keep this list on my iPhone and the phone between my stick and throttle for easy reference.

F-18 COLD START

- LOWER RIGHT PANEL: battery ON

- Fire test HOLD RIGHT CLICK

- Wait 10 seconds

- Fire test HOLD LEFT CLICK

- APU ON

- Crank Right engine on RIGHT CLICK

- @20% Press SHIFT HOME

- Bleed air NORM TO NORM

- Set left and right MFD to DAY, set brightness to MAX

- Set Center MFD brightness to MAX

- Set HUD brightness to MAX (On the left of the UFC panel ... Where you usually turn on TACAN. Label for knob is hidden)

- LEFT MFD Press menu button to SUPPORT

- LEFT MFD Press FCS

- Reset Master Caution

- Set INS to GROUND

- Crank Left engine on LEFT CLICK

- @20% Press ALT HOME

- Reset FCS

- SET OBOSS to ON (Far left behind you)

- Set radar to OPR

- Set flaps to AUTO

- RIGHT MFD Press FCS-MC GO

- Hold “Y” and Press FCS on RIGHT MFD (BIT TEST)

- Once flaps test is done set flaps to HALF

- HOLD TAKEOFF TRIM DOWN 10 seconds

- ON ATTITUDE INDICATOR rotate knob AFT to stow red flag

- Close canopy

- Set INS to NAV

- Set left MFD to HUD

- Set right MFD to FCS for takeoff

- Release P-brake

- NOT mentioned in training.... ARM YOUR SEAT or Betty will nag you

- DONE!

Edited by Akula
  • MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

I worked on the F-18 A and C models back in the mid to late 80's....we called them DDI's then. But if memory serves me right we did call the lower center one a MFD.

Edited by airdog

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

HAHA glad I can help.

I found this necessary after entering a server where cold starts were the norm... I was like "SHIT! OK how does this go again???"

:megalol:

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

You can skip the fire tests and as a result the bleed air cycle as well to shorten it up a bit more.

True.... Since this is still a game and you get a perfectly working Hornet on start you can fore go the unnecessary formalities. You can also close the canopy from the get go so it's not too loud.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Is the FCS bit run with flaps on auto (like ED says) or in half (like hornet pilots say)?

I don't really know the answer because I just did the training tutorial and wrote the steps down. Basically what you see is what you get. If there's any confusion in the steps let me know and I will tweak them a little.

I just had a second look at the steps and the answer is there. Follow the steps and you're good.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

The F18 is as easy or maybe easier than the F5 to start. I find it hard to believe anyone even needs an easy checklist. lol

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

The F18 is as easy or maybe easier than the F5 to start. I find it hard to believe anyone even needs an easy checklist. lol

It's not easy because it's not something most players will do every time.

You have to understand that this game has risen tremendously in popularity over the past year due in part by the YouTube videos from the community. As a result there are a LOT of people out there who start their missions either on the runway or parked "HOT"

YOU, are probably more hardcore and prefer to manually start every jet you have... Good for you. Most are not and thereby will find this list helpful. Hardcore simmers could probably muddle their way to getting any jet started but I'll bet a kidney they can't do every jet by memory and pull of a flawless start procedure. Even REAL pilots use a checklist. You're just bragging.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

I would interpret "simple" as "without checks" - short. If you take the NATOPS manual, ignore the checks, you will have a 100% combat ready hornet with not too much steps. You are definitely ready before alignment is finished. If you get too lazy and e.g. don't set QNH you can miss in auto mode.

I hope ED adds the "alert" start one day. Rather than having a ready to taxi jet, you have one that did the alert start up. They did a good job on the setups but there is still some tweaking needed like the radar altimeter setting and trim on the carrier for a hot start.

The hornet startup will get more "difficult" with progress on the systems (HMD,...) involved.

Hold rubber trim for 10 seconds:huh: had not seen that anywhere before. Is that correct.?

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

I think he means the T/O Trim (takeoff) button.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

I think he means the T/O Trim (takeoff) button.

Corrected, thanks :)

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Maybe because not everyone knows the procedures and are comfortable with airplane startups ;) As it'S easy to do Carrier patterns without any instruments/Tacans/ILS when you're used to it simply with memory visual references, but Tacan and instruments are stilll nice to have. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am one to love to just jump in and check it out , probably like many right?... but I took the check list or pdf file "early Access" starting at page 47, and followed the cold start set up. I usually do not do this but I felt I should give it a try since there has been so much work put in the making of such a cool module ... I was surprised at how rewarding it seemed. I still have to follow along the step procedures... but soon I will get it down. Then I returned to land and parked and shut it down. Now I think it is more fun to do it this way as opposed to being quick and off I go...type mode

I don't know the procedures. Man there's a whole boat load of stuff I don't know, but now I am a bit inspired and want to learn a few things. All the little information is pretty overwhelming on all the systems and checking to do...But I have found... for me", that it has made the Hornet more interesting and fun flying this thing a bit.

I recommend a cold start habit for the sake of just checking it out and later one can always start off hot on parking grids or runways. Starting it up and shutting it down is pretty cool when I follow it along ....

I loaded up the pdf on my tablet and just open it up and follow it along in cold start mission.

I'm impressed and it is rewarding.

Edited by DragonFlySlayer
spelling

What about a shutting down procedure? Is there one available?
Check out Mags video on shutting down the Hornet

in the link below.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Is there a reason why the RWR/EW is not part of the start up procedure?

Thats probably because most are based on the procedure of NATOPS Flight Manual, that doesn't include information on EW, Sensors nor Weapons.

I power up the RWR during step 21 of NATOPs "Before Taxi" procedure:

"21. Mission data - ENTER"

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Maybe they don't consider the "surprise attack on your air base as you take off" scenario...:)

I expect that the base or a link has a pretty good ground radar. I can't imagine a WWII sneak attack in a modern scenario that hasn't been detected by something other than a RWR.