GNS 430 graphics

sdflyer

Hi,

I just purchased NS430 for Mi-8 and kind of disappointed. I actually own real GNS430 (which is installed in my airplane) I know the actual unit graphic is not that great and it’s kind of slagish, even though my is factory upgraded to GNS430W.

I totally understand that DCS is simplified version, but graphic is just unreadable especially when it comes to little airplane icon that very poorly depicted in NS430. Its hard to make sense where airplane is actually situated.

Please check the real counterpart just see scale and readability

3b402a27e29b7a59ddd8611f8ee9f594.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi,

I just purchased NS430 for Mi-8 and kind of disappointed. I actually own real GNS430 (which is installed in my airplane) I know the actual unit graphic is not that great and it’s kind of slagish, even though my is factory upgraded to GNS430W.

I totally understand that DCS is simplified version, but graphic is just unreadable especially when it comes to little airplane icon that very poorly depicted in NS430. Its hard to make sense where airplane is actually situated.

Press SHIFT-ALT-B to create a panel copy of the NS430. You can drag this panel to any position of the screen.

When press and hold the top left corner you can resize this panel to any size.

In moving map mode the enlarged panel shows the tiny airplane symbol more clearly.

However, in sim and real flying I prefer using the CDI NAV page only.

Small course deviation is shown immediately and allows immediate steering correction.

The moving map with the tiny airplane symbol is meant for overview and rough orientation only.

If you are complaining about display quality you would have to buy a huge Garmin glass cockpit.

As far as I'm concerned I’m glad that they have given us some kind of modern NAV equipment, regardless if you want to use or not.

Press SHIFT-ALT-B to create a panel copy of the NS430. You can drag this panel to any position of the screen.

In moving map mode the enlarged panel shows the tiny airplane symbol more clearly.

Small course deviation is shown immediately and allows immediate steering correction.

The moving map with the tiny airplane symbol is meant for overview and rough orientation only.

If you are complaining about display quality you would have to buy a huge Garmin glass cockpit.

As far as I'm concerned I’m glad that they have given us some kind of modern NAV equipment, regardless if you want to use or not.

He said that readability of display in 3D model is much better on real life unit and would like someone to have a look at it. Sorry but, what does anything you said have to do with it?

Smash 1-1 | Hawk

He said that readability of display in 3D model is much better on real life unit and would like someone to have a look at it. Sorry but, what does anything you said have to do with it?

. . . and flying is much better on a real aircraft . . .

Are you truly comparing the display quality (e.g. resolution) of a real Garmin GPS with the NS430 sim module?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2 is a simulation! It’s coded as close as it can gets and so is the NS430 module.

If you by all means want to navigate using the moving map only you may well enlarge the size of the NS430 on the screen

until the moving map and the plane icon is clearly visible.

Everything can be better, for my share I’m satisfied to have such a GPS module at all.

Edited by wernst
  • Like 1

I agree. First time lookin at the DCS 430, I was a bit confused on what that symbol was actually showing. On first glance it just looks like a weird blob.

Especially with the map "north-up" it is very hard to tell which direction you are actually facing...

Screen_170216_164755.jpg

This is one of the pictures from the ED Shop page for the GNS 430 (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/ffc/Screen_170216_164755.jpg) and you can hardly make out the plane-symbol as such.

If you compare that to the picture from sdflyer, that is taken from even further away, the diffrence becomes easily noticable.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Just FYI in real life I shoot precision GPS approaches with my GNS430W down to the minimum (just like ILS) In this case. And i use completely different nav page from what you suggest above. If you like no graphics try KLN89B - that above only page you are going to see; however , there are no precision approaches

. . . and flying is much better on a real aircraft . . .

Are you truly comparing the display quality (e.g. resolution) of a real Garmin GPS with the NS430 sim module?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2 is a simulation! It’s coded as close as it can gets and so is the NS430 module.

If you by all means want to navigate using the moving map only you may well enlarge the size of the NS430 on the screen

until the moving map and the plane icon is clearly visible.

Everything can be better, for my share I’m satisfied to have such a GPS module at all.

Just a note from someone who not only own and and flies airplanes, but also teach in them. GNS430 in teal life have pretty bad resolution. For the most part I use my iPad as secondary source for maps, charts and so on. However, 430 provides essential navigation cue that must be used for instrument flying.

The real counterpart has a very small screen but even with bad resolution it’s much more readable that DCS version. With my screen size it actually blow NS430 little bit larger than real thing, but yet it absolutely unreadable.

P.S. My GNS430 also has also traffic fed to it via ADS-B. Even with this clutter it looks better.

Just FYI in real life I shoot precision GPS approaches with my GNS430W down to the minimum (just like ILS) In this case.

GNS430W has WAAS which enables LNAV, the name for non-precision approaches. LNAV/VNAV and LPV approach minimums approximate (!) ILS approach minimums.

That’s why Garmin refer to them as “precision approaches”, the FAA still considers them to be non-precision approaches.

But how does your information about "real life" flying “precision approaches” with the GNS430W helps us improving the graphics (e.g. resolution of the aircraft icon) of the NS430 module?

The NS430 has no signal output to the CDI/HSI, not even non-precision approaches are possible.

And i use completely different nav page from what you suggest above.

I wonder which NAV page you are using? No CDI page, no moving map page, which one else?

GNS430W has WAAS which enables LNAV, the name for non-precision approaches. LNAV/VNAV and LPV approach minimums approximate (!) ILS approach minimums.

That’s why Garmin refer to them as “precision approaches”, the FAA still considers them to be non-precision approaches.

But how does your information about "real life" flying “precision approaches” with the GNS430W helps us improving the graphics (e.g. resolution of the aircraft icon) of the NS430 module?

The NS430 has no signal output to the CDI/HSI, not even non-precision approaches are possible.

Technically you are correct, but functionally many DH for LPV approach a few feet apart from ILS (if not exactly the same). I'm pretty sure FAA will update its definition of precision approaches when ICAO squares off its annex 10

How does improved graphics in NS430 improves flying experience? For starters you can see aircraft position in the respect of terrain elevation. (pretty useful for heli pilot in IMC). BTW current DCS version doesn't show heading or ground speed. Furthermore, a better situation awareness of surrounding. By the way if lateral navigation is only readable page why not implement first generation of "graphicless" GPSs? In combat environment graphic cues

are faster perceived specially when constrains apply.

Of course traffic wouldn't make much sense in DCS, it does pay off in real life when two class Bravo airspaces overlap each other

I wonder which NAV page you are using? No CDI page, no moving map page, which one else?

In context of DCS?

I am not quite following the discussion. What, exactly, is the bug being reported?

Is it about the design of the helicopter icon showing current position in the north-up map page? (Helicopter icon and plane icon are not the same, I believe)

Edit: nevermind, in overhead view they're the same.

Or is it something else?

Edited by gospadin

I am not quite following the discussion. What, exactly, is the bug being reported?

Is it about the design of the helicopter icon showing current position in the north-up map page? (Helicopter icon and plane icon are not the same, I believe)

Or is it something else?

I’m sorry I really can’t say what that icon represent (I didn’t know it suppose to be helicopter). But yes it’s a part of overall screen readability and graphics

it doesn't look like a helicopter or plane and hard to understand where the icon's nose is pointing.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yeah, comparing to the real photos, the pixelated effect in DCS is overdone, and also the aircraft symbol looks nothing like the one in real life.

IMG_4490.JPG

Screen_170824_125617.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

We can mod this. Files are here ;

Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\NS430\Cockpit\Scripts\avionics

This is the file with the avionics symbols and is called SIGNS

qZWfL2Q.jpg

And this one looks really bad... file is called MANEURS

PWauesc.jpg

I dont have time to make new symbols but someone else that wants to could pick it up from there.

g8PjVMw.png

• 3 months later...

I flew a king air 90 from 2009 till 2015. It first had the KLN90....not user friendly but got the job done. We then upgraded to the Garmin 400 (same nav as the 430 just no built in comm) and I loved that gps. Then in 2013 we upgraded to a Garmin 1000....thought I’d died and gone airplane heaven. The Garmin’s are so user friendly than even an older guy like me...I’m well into my 60s ... adapted to it quickly. I really did like that little 400 and now after going through this forum think I’ll buy it while on sale. Would be nice to have it in the Huey. I flew the Huey in the real world as a younger guy and enjoyed my time in it and having the 430 in the dcs one would be great.