Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, the topic title talks about the Rift (S) in DCS. For Quest headsets there are other topics.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2023 at 4:19 PM, amigastar said:

Hello,

I have a problem with my new Meta Quest 2. The Headset is so blurry in DCS that i can't even read the instruments like the Abris in the KA helicopter properly, i mean they are there but really blurry. Also when i move my head the picture get blurry even more.

Do i have to change a setting or something?

I hope someone can help me.

try making sure your (ipd) eye distance adjustment setting is correct.  I found even being off a fraction can cause vision issues. Example, mine is 62.5. Also, even though it is VR try a different distance to the screen itself. I have no cluse why that makes a difference with VR on your head, but it did for me.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I'm doing this for every VR game

Running a C8H,3800x,32g RAM, 3080Strix, 2TB PNY M.2, Quest 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosshair VIII hero wifi, 3800x w/ Enermax 360 AIO cooler (push-pull), 32gigs DDR4 Ripjaws 3600, Win 10 home on a Plextor PCI-E x4 3gb/s HD, EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 ultra+, Soundblaster Z

Rift S, M$FFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek pedals

BS2, A10C, P51D, SPITFIRE, FC3, Uh-1H, F86, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, MIG21-bis, AV8BNA, F14, F16, FA-18C, SUPERCARRIER

A good way to save VRAM with Oculus headsets is using Virtual Desktop for PCVR, now VD can launch native OpenXR game without Oculus PC or Steam VR and those are a VRAM hog

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

1 hour ago, 5ephir0th said:

A good way to save VRAM with Oculus headsets is using Virtual Desktop for PCVR, now VD can launch native OpenXR game without Oculus PC or Steam VR and those are a VRAM hog

I’m not sure how much difference it really makes. Maybe if you have less the 12 gb VRAM!? I find that performance is better with oculus link-cable than VD with Quest Pro. I have a lot of experience with VD using Pico 4, and it is very good software especially since VDXR, but oculus link is a better in terms of image clarity and no difference in VRAM. I think the biggest issue with oculus is turning off oculus home. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

• 4 weeks later...

I recently got the Quest 3 and my system isn't that bad.  I have i9 11000k with RTX 3080 and 64 GB RAM @ 3600 MHZ.  I did all the tweeking and downloaded occulus tray tool, openXR tools . Well after a months of trying to get out of this thing a reasonable quality at least close to 1080p nevermind 4k, I gave up. the image is blurry, too blurry I am afraid to ditch the flat screen. just not yet. I am about to return my Quest 3 back to amazon. Do you have any suggestions?

22 minutes ago, killerwhale said:

I recently got the Quest 3 and my system isn't that bad.  I have i9 11000k with RTX 3080 and 64 GB RAM @ 3600 MHZ.  I did all the tweeking and downloaded occulus tray tool, openXR tools . Well after a months of trying to get out of this thing a reasonable quality at least close to 1080p nevermind 4k, I gave up. the image is blurry, too blurry I am afraid to ditch the flat screen. just not yet. I am about to return my Quest 3 back to amazon. Do you have any suggestions?

Really? I'm very happy with mine - I find that either increasing the resolution slider in the Oculus software to the right, or increasing pixel density in DCS to at least 1.3, the image is nicely sharp. I also have DLSS/upscaling turned off since that makes the image blurry for me.

Also make sure the IPD dial on the headset is right for you.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

31 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Really? I'm very happy with mine - I find that either increasing the resolution slider in the Oculus software to the right, or increasing pixel density in DCS to at least 1.3, the image is nicely sharp. I also have DLSS/upscaling turned off since that makes the image blurry for me.

Also make sure the IPD dial on the headset is right for you.

I did all of that, plus you can clearly see screen door effect on this headset. I don't have problem reading what is in the cockpit, it is beyond the cockpit where the mess is, it is too blurry and shimmering. I cannot believe people actually enjoy this.

2 hours ago, killerwhale said:

I did all of that, plus you can clearly see screen door effect on this headset. I don't have problem reading what is in the cockpit, it is beyond the cockpit where the mess is, it is too blurry and shimmering. I cannot believe people actually enjoy this.

It shouldn't look like that. I get a realistic view if buildings with my quest pro and Pico 4 and no noticeable screen door effect. Have you verified that your output resolution is what you think it is? OXRTK will show you the full Res if you set it to FSR or NIS.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 2/18/2024 at 6:06 AM, killerwhale said:

I don't have problem reading what is in the cockpit, it is beyond the cockpit where the mess is, it is too blurry and shimmering. I cannot believe people actually enjoy this.

All shimmering is gone with DLSS/DLAA but you'll have some ghosting (esp. with low fps) and blurring (you can use sharpening slider and higher PD).

With MSAA and higher PD (or upscaling in Oculus) you can have less blurring but you'll still get some shimmers, probably with worse fps.

For screendoor and resolution of the display itself you cannot do antyhing - either you accept it or not. Check other headsets if you can.

Pick your poison because no VR headset can get flat screen quality.

@freehand You want my opinion on Rift S? I could still improve the image with better card and higher PD but no way I'm going back to flat screen.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

8 minutes ago, draconus said:

All shimmering is gone with DLSS/DLAA but you'll have some ghosting (esp. with low fps) and blurring (you can use sharpening slider and higher PD).

With MSAA and higher PD (or upscaling in Oculus) you can have less blurring but you'll still get some shimmers, probably with worse fps.

For screendoor and resolution of the display itself you cannot do antyhing - either you accept it or not. Check other headsets if you can.

Pick your poison because no VR headset can get flat screen quality.

@freehand You want my opinion on Rift S? I could still improve the image with better card and higher PD but no way I'm going back to flat screen.

Sure I want your opinion I have owned many headsets in the past but have the chance to buy a rift s very cheap and would like to give it another go I run a 3080.  

2 minutes ago, freehand said:

Sure I want your opinion I have owned many headsets in the past but have the chance to buy a rift s very cheap and would like to give it another go I run a 3080.  

For sure you can get it cheap, it's old tech. With that card you could run it with high fps (if not CPU bound), no shimmering and pretty high PD, tracking is great, but it's low resolution these days - you have to take it into consideration. I never had any comparison though.

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

5 minutes ago, draconus said:

For sure you can get it cheap, it's old tech. With that card you could run it with high fps (if not CPU bound), no shimmering and pretty high PD, tracking is great, but it's low resolution these days - you have to take it into consideration. I never had any comparison though.

Thank you.

Rift-S (since that was what the topic was created for):
I still use it (although on half the refresh rate through ASW).
Think it's a good headset but i only have (had) a Pico 4 to compare it to and i prefer the Rift-S over the Pico simply because it has a display port. The Pico has too many artifacts when using ASW (or it's implementation of it) compared to the Rift-S.
Biggest drawback for me of the Rift-S is the disconnection (not being recognized) each time the PC has been shutdown. So i need to un-plug / re-plug the USB each time after a PC restart.
I had that also with my previous headset on my previous PC but there it would only disconnect 20% of the reboots and even then simply stopping and starting the Oculus service would make it re-connect. On this PC my first Rift-S never disconnected but my second one does disconnect each time and cycling the Oculus service doesn't do the trick with this one. So it's a bit headset depended.

Edited by Lange_666

25 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Biggest drawback for me of the Rift-S is the disconnection (not being recognized) each time the PC has been shutdown.

During 3 years I've seen it only a few times, I even changed the CPU, GPU and RAM in the meantime.

My current problem is huge RGB noise (since a few months) and I have no idea what's the cause. Sometimes it's clear image but most of the time now it's more or less noised and sometimes it's huge noise up to flickering and black screens. :dunno:

I'm quite shocked that you quit on the Pico 4 with such big resolution and still prefer Rift S.

Edited by draconus

1 hour ago, freehand said:

I used to have a rift s interested in people opinions in 2024 ?   

It's still a viable headset. The main issues are FOV and visible screen door. Push the resolution up and the image is pretty good. I use a QP now so find it difficult to go back to. 

I have owned a questpro pico4 , g2 and other older headsets my all time favourite is the G1 very light comfy easy to drive but we all know how wmr is going to pan out so thought I would give the rift s another go the VR snobbery is all washed out of me now I just want something useable, I give up trying to find a unicorn many moons ago lol.   

1 hour ago, draconus said:

My current problem is huge RGB noise (since a few months) and I have no idea what's the cause. Sometimes it's clear image but most of the time now it's more or less noised and sometimes it's huge noise up to flickering and black screens. :dunno:

I'm quite shocked that you quit on the Pico 4 with such big resolution and still prefer Rift S.

RGB noise: Could be the cable

Pico: Overall clarity is better but there are so many ghosting artifacts when the image moves quickly while using ASW. Without ASW at native refresh freq it was very good but it was difficult to keep the FPS above the native refresh freq on my setup (5800x3d+3080Ti). Once it dropped below that it started to stutter. And since ASW was so bad i did send it back.
ASW also only worked with Virtual Desktop, with their own Streaming Assistant it even didn't.
So i preferred a headset with less resolution but with a lot better overall performance.

12 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

RGB noise: Could be the cable

Pico: Overall clarity is better but there are so many ghosting artifacts when the image moves quickly while using ASW. Without ASW at native refresh freq it was very good but it was difficult to keep the FPS above the native refresh freq on my setup (5800x3d+3080Ti). Once it dropped below that it started to stutter. And since ASW was so bad i did send it back.
ASW also only worked with Virtual Desktop, with their own Streaming Assistant it even didn't.
So i preferred a headset with less resolution but with a lot better overall performance.

If you are looking for a good upgrade to the rift s I can recommend the QP. I got one used, immaculate condition as I think a lot of people bought them for the "pro" standalone experience. Where it shines for me is relatively low pixel count, eye tracking and DFR, and wide horizontal FOV. Link Cable gives 960 Mbps. I can run DCS on high/ultra with an fps of 40-80 and ASW is a lot better than VD SSW. Overall a better experience than the P4. 

Might be an option if my current Rift-S dies but I'm preferring one with a DP connection instead of wifi/USB-link.

• Like 2