Flying f-18 With Wings Folded

JimmyWA

I did a perfect landing onto the carrier, taxied (slipped - deck was rolling) along the deck, managed to successfully launch and fly away. I kept wondering why there was a warning tone. Then I realised I'd forgotten to unfold my wings before launching to take off! Should the F-18 be able to fly with wings folded? Because I did.

FoldedWings.png

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller

The F/A-18 can in fact fly with the wings folded. I think it loses about 30% of the wing lift with the wings folded. The F-4 Phantom that I worked on in the U.S.M.C. was the same. I saw them take off with the wings folded. The engines are so powerful that they are basically reusable rockets. That's why you get the warning tone:-D

Word to the wise; always look to see why you're getting a warning tone!

Edited by Balzarog

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I would have bet this was a bug but you never learn out.

When the F-4's took off with wings folded, was that a Pilot's mistake or was it planned ? That I am curious to know

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I did a perfect landing onto the carrier, taxied (slipped - deck was rolling) along the deck, managed to successfully launch and fly away. I kept wondering why there was a warning tone. Then I realised I'd forgotten to unfold my wings before launching to take off! Should the F-18 be able to fly with wings folded? Because I did.

Don't see why not. The wing loading is a good chunk higher with the wings folded, so your minimum speed will be higher too, and turning performance not as good.

So, no reason why it shouldn't.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!