TrackIR 5 Setup Questions (FNG)

Hi all, this is my first post here on the ED forums. I have recently rediscovered my love of PC flight sims and in my absence things seem to have developed a little bit...a lot!

I bought the TrackIR 5 with the pro clip and I've discovered an interesting problem. I'd be grateful for any insight you could offer.

Edit: Problem solved, I think. I rearranged the Pro clip sensors to a better alignment and the problem appears to have disappeared. For now :)

New problem...when I get in the aircraft the HUD display is half off the HUD to the left. If I lean right it seems to centre in the HUD...obviously not an ideal situation as my view of the cockpit also leans right. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I can fix it?

Also can any of you recommend which keys I should use to control the TrackIR without interfering with the Sim?

Phillip

p.s. How can I go back to desktop while the sim is running to make adjustments to TrackIR software?!

Edited by Phil73805
Solved old problem, now new problem :)

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

Bump due to edit :)

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

Welcome ! . So TIR center doesn't reset your view ? I try to sit centered on the screen , and look to the center of the screen with neutral eyeballs , and then hit TIR center . As to which key , depends on individual setup . I use Vaicom pro for voice comms with AI , so i don't need the comm menu key for example . You might try one of the snap view keys , as you don't really need them with TIR . You can bind a joystick button as well , recommended as center needs updated from time to time .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

In most flight sim games, the F1 key is used to return to the normal cockpit view, as such, I have a standard button on my HOTAS that I always map to this function (whether it is F1 or not). My TrackIR profile has the same button mapped to the recenter function rather than the default F12 button. So, I need to level my head, sit up straight, then look at the center of the screen and then press my cockpit view button. If by some chance I have been using another view, I have to always remember to return my head to the reference position before pressing my default cockpit view button.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome ! . So TIR center doesn't reset your view ? I try to sit centered on the screen , and look to the center of the screen with neutral eyeballs , and then hit TIR center . As to which key , depends on individual setup . I use Vaicom pro for voice comms with AI , so i don't need the comm menu key for example . You might try one of the snap view keys , as you don't really need them with TIR . You can bind a joystick button as well , recommended as center needs updated from time to time .

Hi there, thanks for your reply. TIR center does restore my view but the HUD display is still off to the left, half off the HUD. (I wish I could post a screenshot!)

In terms of binding a Joystick key for centreing, it doesn’t work in the TIR software.

In most flight sim games, the F1 key is used to return to the normal cockpit view, as such, I have a standard button on my HOTAS that I always map to this function (whether it is F1 or not). My TrackIR profile has the same button mapped to the recenter function rather than the default F12 button. So, I need to level my head, sit up straight, then look at the center of the screen and then press my cockpit view button. If by some chance I have been using another view, I have to always remember to return my head to the reference position before pressing my default cockpit view button.

I know I would forget in a crucial moment and find myself staring at the seat :)

It’s worth mentioning that the Track IR camera is not centred on my monitor. It’s off to the left so that it’s centred with the pro clip on my headset. I thought that’s how it’s supposed to be done? I can’t see why that should be a problem as the sensors are centred in the software.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. TIR center does restore my view but the HUD display is still off to the left, half off the HUD. (I wish I could post a screenshot!)

In terms of binding a Joystick key for centreing, it doesn’t work in the TIR software.

Sure it does ! Look to the left where you select a profile . "Hotkeys" , select "center" , click your button . O yeah , all three boxes on mine are checkd (enable , etc) Re hud , it's almost certainly a centering problem . Adjust center or seating position . You don't have to be off by much to get the misplaced hud .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It’s worth mentioning that the Track IR camera is not centred on my monitor. It’s off to the left so that it’s centred with the pro clip on my headset. I thought that’s how it’s supposed to be done? I can’t see why that should be a problem as the sensors are centred in the software.

Mine as well .

Sure it does ! Look to the left where you select a profile . "Hotkeys" , select "center" , click your button . O yeah , all three boxes on mine are checkd (enable , etc)

When in the TrackIR software, I tried to assign one of the Joystick keys to the View Reset command and it just ignored me. What am I getting wrong?

Re hud , it's almost certainly a centering problem . Adjust center or seating position . You don't have to be off by much to get the misplaced hud .

It's weird. I am clearly centred in the cockpit but the HUD view is half off. When I get home I will post the picture to a profile album and link it here so you can see. The HUD is in NAV mode. Is that why it's off centre? Because I am not facing the waypoint heading?

picture.php?albumid=1601&pictureid=10247

Gents, I could do with a hand.

I've managed to map TrackIR Recenter and Pause to two buttons on my stick. I've got the Track IR setup perfectly and can look around quite naturally. However, I'm still having that HUD to the side issue and I don't think it's a Track IR issue. If I turn the aircraft I can bring it back to center but it seems to have a mind of its own! I'd be so grateful if someone could please clarify this :)

picture.php?albumid=1601&pictureid=10248

Another question if you all don't mind; I have the Zoom View set to the throttle slider on my flight stick (Thrustmaster T16000m w/Throttle) instead of the paddle on the throttle (which I use for Rudder) but I can't figure out the right 'middle' setting that would create an appropriate field of view that would simulate the pilot's FoV when seated in the cockpit leaning back against his seat. Can anyone tell me how to set that up?

Your HUD view looks perfect. Are you in a crosswind?

Hi Livers, thanks for answering :)

Not sure (Noob here), I just jumped into freeflight (air) to do some setup and calibration of controls (...and didn't check the winds aloft). Why are the HUD pitch bars off to the left along with the velocity vector indicator?

Any ideas regarding my second question? (Zoom View center and appropriate FoV)

Hi Livers, thanks for answering :)

Not sure (Noob here), I just jumped into freeflight (air) to do some setup and calibration of controls (...and didn't check the winds aloft). Why are the HUD pitch bars off to the left along with the velocity vector indicator?

Any ideas regarding my second question? (Zoom View center and appropriate FoV)

That does look like crosswind. You will notice that your heading tape and your WP info are still centered...the Hornet has a cage/uncage function for the HUD which is probably what you need to familiarize yourself with. Try changing your heading and see if the pitch ladder centers.

P.S. Woopsy, did I say Hornet? ^^ Not sure if the A-10C has a similiar function or not.....but in any case it's not an issue with your TIR, that's the HUD functioning as intended.

Edited by smallberries

Inadvertent rudder input ? Try setting a decent deadzone in your rudder axis

Edited by Svsmokey

Inadvertent rudder input ? Try setting a decent deadzone in your rudder axis

Highly improbable as I’m using a brand new Thrustmaster T16000m and the rudder is bound to the paddles on the throttle, which I wasn’t touching.

That does look like crosswind. You will notice that your heading tape and your WP info are still centered...the Hornet has a cage/uncage function for the HUD which is probably what you need to familiarize yourself with. Try changing your heading and see if the pitch ladder centers.

P.S. Woopsy, did I say Hornet? ^^ Not sure if the A-10C has a similiar function or not.....but in any case it's not an issue with your TIR, that's the HUD functioning as intended.

You’re right smallberries, when I turn to a particular heading the pitch ladder does centre. It’s a weird function and I’m not entirely sure of its purpose. Why would the velocity vector also be right on the edge of HUD? That’s not where I’m going!

I cannot possibly be the first person to encounter this? Anyone who has flown the DCS A10c must have encountered this and know what’s going on. Does no one fly the A10c anymore?

I love the aircraft, it’s the first, and so far only, aircraft I’ve bought.

The VV should always show where the aircraft is going , not necessarily where the nose is pointing . A crosswind or inadvertent rudder input can displace the VV laterally . It can also be displaced vertically , as in , for example , a sink rate with nose up . These are general rules across all aircraft . As to the A-10 specifically , I cannot comment as i don't have it . Glad to hear you are excited to fly it though . Enjoy !

Edited by Svsmokey

Alrighty people, I think I've solved it...

Here's my theory; When my HUD is set as SOI there is a target designation cursor (TDC) that is operated by the Slew on the Throttle. I think that as a default the Total Velocity Vector (TVV) is slaved to the TDC. So when I turn the aircraft without slewing the TDC back into the HUD FoV my TVV tries to follow the TDC. When I was looking through the HOTAS commands I came across "CAGE TDC to TVV" which should solve the problem! (I hope, I really do)

I'll test this theory tonight and report back.

If I've solved the problem we can add it to the IAQ (Infrequently Asked Questions).

Edited by Phil73805

Nope, that made no difference at all...damn! I thought I was onto something.

It seems that it reperesents the difference between between aircraft heading and aircraft track based on the winds aloft. If that is the case it’s a rather daft system that’s, at best, counter intuitive. I’ll continue this conversation over on the A10C section of the forum.

Thank you all for your help :)