so which SA-2 variant will we get? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
Vampyre

Well, the newsletter says it is a S-75 Dvina but the screenshots actually show the RSN-75V (Fan Song E) and either a V-755 or V-760 missile on a SM-90 launcher. The components shown indicate that it is a S-75M Volkhov. That would make it an SA-2d Guideline Mod 3 or SA-2e Guideline Mod 4 in the NATO designation system, not a S-75 Dvina (SA-2a Guideline or SA-2b Guideline Mod 1).

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #12
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Somewhere in Russian playground yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180507_135132.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	184087  
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #13
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
Well, the newsletter says it is a S-75 Dvina but the screenshots actually show the RSN-75V (Fan Song E) and either a V-755 or V-760 missile on a SM-90 launcher. The components shown indicate that it is a S-75M Volkhov. That would make it an SA-2d Guideline Mod 3 or SA-2e Guideline Mod 4 in the NATO designation system, not a S-75 Dvina (SA-2a Guideline or SA-2b Guideline Mod 1).
Mod 4 presumed optical channel and a camera at the "P" shack?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #14
Vampyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
Mod 4 presumed optical channel and a camera at the "P" shack?
The RSN-75V2 (Fan Song F) introduced the optical tracking. It can be distinguished by the boxy structure atop where the twin parabolic dishes are on the RSN-75V (Fan Song E). That system was known as the S-75M2 Volkhov designated by NATO as the SA-2f Guideline Mod 5. The S-75M2 fired the V-759 missile which is visually distinctive from the V-755 and V-760 missiles of the S-75M Volkhov system that is shown in the screenshots on the ED website.

EDIT: I think the missile is a V-755 in the screenshot because I think the V-760 had a larger nosecone.

Last edited by Vampyre; 05-08-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #15
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Send a message via MSN to Silver_Dragon

Quote:
The RSN-75V2 (Fan Song F) introduced the optical tracking. It can be distinguished by the boxy structure atop where the twin parabolic dishes are on the RSN-75V (Fan Song E). That system was known as the S-75M2 Volkhov designated by NATO as the SA-2f Guideline Mod 5. The S-75M2 fired the V-759 missile which is visually distinctive from the V-755 and V-760 missiles of the S-75M Volkhov system that is shown in the screenshots on the ED website.

Fang-Song E with camera

Others "HardWare":
AV and UV Vans (control and electronic vans)

P-18 Adquisicion radar

The S-75M3 Volhov (SA-2E Guideline) system has capable to launch the V-760 15D (Guideline Mod.4) Nuclear tipped (15kt) SAM Missile.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104115
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Spanish 4Th Perrus Squadon Member: http://www.4thperrus.com

Last edited by Silver_Dragon; 05-08-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #16
Vampyre

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...reenshots/572/

Last edited by Vampyre; 05-08-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
I guess, something wrong with your designations. First of all, the shack "P" I see in DCS is a classic Volkhov. 75M2 or 3, I think. Two narrow and two wide beams. The station itself always was named SNR but never RSN. As the whole SAM position was named S-75xx (SA for the earlier versions) the complex of radioelectronic means was named SNR at least for S-75 generation. The photo you posted is 75M4 with a camera at the pylon at the shack "p" and RD-75 behind the shack.
By the way, this article
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-SNR-75-Fan-Song.html
giving a good walk-around has the same mistake in designation: it is M4 with the optical channel.
And finally, I have no idea what is the version with a doghouse instead of narrow beam antennas...

Last edited by Yo-Yo; 05-09-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
Vampyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
I guess, something wrong with your designations. First of all, the shack "P" I see in DCS is a classic Volkhov. 75M2 or 3, I think. Two narrow and two wide beams. The station itself always was named SNR but never RSN. As the whole SAM position was named S-75xx (SA for the earlier versions) the complex of radioelectronic means was named SNR at least for S-75 generation. The photo you posted is 75M4 with a camera at the pylon at the shack "p" and RD-75 behind the shack.
By the way, this article
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-SNR-75-Fan-Song.html
giving a good walk-around has the same mistake in designation: it is M4 with the optical channel.
And finally, I have no idea what is the version with a doghouse instead of narrow beam antennas...
Here is my source:
https://www.amazon.com/Red-SAM-Guide.../dp/1846030625

Old 05-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #19
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
It's very interesting, what sources he used...
Old 05-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #20
MAD_MIKE
Veteran

Somewhere in Russian playground yard