OK, now we need a proper INS alignment procedure.

DmitriKozlowsky

I'm pretty sure Caucasus should be minus (-)6°, as magnetic north is always about 6-7° left of true in DCS. At least that's been my experience on every pattern where I need BRC and every attack run when I need to line up on a column. Right add, left subtract, no?

In ground force units of Army and Marines, magnetic variation is called Grid Declination or just declination. It appears on every MGRS map, paper or digital.

MAGE is used as training rhyme when converting magnetic azimuth to grid azimuth.

To convert MAGNETIC azimuth to GRID azimuth ADD declination to MAGNETIC when declination is EASTERLY

Magnetic

Add

Grid

Easterly

Its weird but that is how were taught.

I'm pretty sure Caucasus should be minus (-)6°, as magnetic north is always about 6-7° left of true in DCS.

In the Caucasus, magnetic north is approx. 6° East i.e. +6°

page1-1024px-World_Magnetic_Declination_2015.pdf.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=193490&stc=1&d=1536147404

A bearing of 0° Magnetic = approx. 6° True

http://www.magnetic-declination.com/

734510760_ButumiMagneticDeclination.JPG.e4dc006cd331443f0ccc9e56d559008b.JPG

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

No, the AV-8B parking brake doesn't just block the throttle, it actuates cables that are also attached to the brake pedals that connect to the brake control valve and applies braking pressure when engaged.

That said, I'm pretty sure you're correct that there's nothing in the INS logic that should prevent someone from attempting a GND alignment without the parking brake set. The parking brake is just to ensure the aircraft doesn't move from its original location as that would foul the alignment and cause INS drift/failure.

The INS does not "sense" if the parking brake is not set. The AV-8B engine is so powerful that without the parking brake the aircraft tends to move forward. The INS detects this movement and puts itself on hold.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

That's very strange, because when I put a carrier on a 270 course, the BRC is 264..... minus 6 degrees.

Not at all strange.

BRC 264° Magnetic = 270° True (as measured on the F10 map or in the ME)

Magnetic +6° = True

True -6° = Magnetic

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Since all this magnetic explanation just keeps going over my head. Is it safe to say that no matter where you are parked at any airport. Input should be

Caucasus map E 6.0

Nevada map E 12.0

Persian Gulf map E 1.6

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

Not at all strange.

BRC 264° Magnetic = 270° True (as measured on the F10 map or in the ME)

Magnetic +6° = True

True -6° = Magnetic

This is screwing with my head. If I place a carrier heading 270 in the ME, then it is 270 true. Therefore to get magnetic heading it would be -6. Thus magnetic declination is 6 degrees west. But all the charts say magnetic declination is east. Does "magnetic declination" as written on the charts (east vs. west/positive vs. negative) refer specifically to the change from magnetic to true, and not from true to magnetic?

If so, that's etymologically counterintuitive.

Thanks!!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

Does "magnetic declination" as written on the charts (east vs. west/positive vs. negative) refer specifically to the change from magnetic to true, and not from true to magnetic?

Yes, i.e. what is your True heading when facing Magnetic North (0° Magnetic). In the Caucasus this is approx 6° East (+6°)

guys u may help me out here.

i am playing on servers not allowing external views and not showing own position on f10

is there a place where i can get the heading/pos for ins alignment?

guys u may help me out here.

i am playing on servers not allowing external views and not showing own position on f10

is there a place where i can get the heading/pos for ins alignment?

Control y I think. Or alt y. One of them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Hope they will add the infos in the kneeboard like the M2K.

And you dont need the heading but in manual sea alignment.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

The instruction is hosed! AV-8B alignment does not work as he describes. It falls apart as soon as he getting current pos from F10 theater view. Current location of unit only displays longitude, but no lattitude. So we are forced to leave lat entry at zero.

Entry of ELEV data does not remember data entered. Same for MAGVAR, as soon as ENT or SVE or SVE and ENT are pressed the MAGVAR resets itself to zero. Ins is in DATA/AC mode, and set to OFF.

And I still cannot find where to enter current TIME.

So I am forced to cheat by taking off and doing IFA.

Personally I find 99.99% of DCS AV-8B instruction on YT to be krap more or less. They posters themselves have no clue, or they miss some important detail. Its just too bad, really. M2KC instruction is even worse.

So the instruction is useless.

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

Control y I think. Or alt y. One of them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thx , found it , for me it was CTRL+Z

The instruction is hosed! AV-8B alignment does not work as he describes. It falls apart as soon as he getting current pos from F10 theater view. Current location of unit only displays longitude, but no lattitude. So we are forced to leave lat entry at zero.

Entry of ELEV data does not remember data entered. Same for MAGVAR, as soon as ENT or SVE or SVE and ENT are pressed the MAGVAR resets itself to zero. Ins is in DATA/AC mode, and set to OFF.

And I still cannot find where to enter current TIME.

So I am forced to cheat by taking off and doing IFA.

Personally I find 99.99% of DCS AV-8B instruction on YT to be krap more or less. They posters themselves have no clue, or they miss some important detail. Its just too bad, really. M2KC instruction is even worse.

So the instruction is useless.

follow these steps in the exact sequence!!!!!! ground alignment is at half , ground power not needed

works for me on latest beta

Dude! Seriously! Is this an ;effin;g joke ? It is unfollowable. That is the worst single case of instruction I have come across. It is even worse then previous YT link where heavily Scottish British accented posted was clueless. This Frenchie is even worse. He goes so fast and instruction is just plain does not work. With or without subtitles.

His instruction is nonfunctional becouse he is not doing right, and he does not even realize it. I suspect. In the end, on ground, he sets INS to IFA, inflight alignment. Just as I do. Becouse INS ground alignment procedure , as shown is incorrect. Not to mention the numbers he is entering, such MAVAR are ?. Instead of E 6, he enters E 001.6 and does not press ENT or SVA. If he did the MVAR display would revert to zero, as it does for me. If he switches to another function, MVAR remains at zero. Like other instruction this one is hosed.

Unbelievable!

Thanks for having fun at my expense.

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

i do press ENT , as long as u follow his sequence, it will work!

VAR varies, obviously

btw all are noobs and u are the only right,

out

If you don't like people trying to help via YT videos, go read the Pocket Guide and/or the NATOP. Most people were able to align the INS using his "frenchy" video, so the problem could be on your side…

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg