SAM Groups And Templates. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
FlankerMan

Default SAM Groups And Templates.

In the past, I've seen some confusion over how to get the medium-to-long range, medium-to-high altitude, multi-part SAM systems to function. So, I thought I'd post a thread that tries to explain this stuff and help future DCS users. Please make this a sticky.

1-All components of a SAM system must be in the same group. Putting all the parts on the ground, close together, won't do it. They must be in the same group. If they are, I think they can be placed as far apart as you want.

2-All parts must be present. For instance, if you're setting up a Patriot system, you need to have all the units labeled "SAM Patriot xyz". Having more than one of any unit won't harm anything, and in fact can sometimes help if one unit is destroyed. However, usually there are 4-8 launchers, and one of all the other types.

In future posts I will give instructions on how to build the Patriot, Hawk, SA-10, and SA-11 systems. For now, though, I will leave you with a mission that includes various set-ups of each of the aforementioned types.
Attached Files
File Type: miz SAM Template Mission.miz (9.1 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by FlankerMan; 08-19-2018 at 11:06 PM.
FlankerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
FlankerMan

Default Correct Hawk Set Up.

The Hawk is a British-designed medium-range SAM. It's moderately effective, but ought to be used along with, say, a Patriot system. To make this, you will need:

1-One SAM Hawk CWAR AN/MPQ-55; I think this is some kind of a search radar.

2-One SAM Hawk PCP; this is the command unit, and as such it has no radar or weapons. The only command unit that I know of with a radar is the Russian CP Sborka ("Dog Ear"). I think PCP stands for 'Portable Command Post'.

3-One SAM Hawk SR AN/MPQ-50; this is the Search Radar, which locates the targets.

4-One SAM Hawk TR AN/MPQ-46; this is the Track Radar, which locks onto and guides the missiles towards the target.

5-Several SAM Hawk LN M192s-these are the LauNchers, which hold the missiles. These guys each have three externally-held MIM-23B SARH missiles.

According to the encyclopedia, the missiles have a range of 16 KM.

Congratulations, you have now made your very own Hawk system!

Last edited by FlankerMan; 08-19-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
FlankerMan

Default Correct Patriot Set Up.

I will now tell you how to make the Patriot, an American long-range SAM. It can be quite deadly when used correctly. You will need:

1-One SAM Patriot AN/MRC-137; I don't know what this does.

2-One SAM Patriot ECS AN/MSQ-104; this is the command unit.

3-One SAM Patriot EPP-III; I believe this is the power unit.

4-One SAM Patriot ICC; I don't know what this does.

5-One SAM Patriot STR AN/MPQ-53; this is the Search and Track Radar; it does both the jobs of separate searching and tracking radars.

6-Several SAM Patriot LN M901s; these each hold four MIM-104 radio command+TVM missiles in launch tubes.

The missiles have a stated range of 90 KM.

Ready to move on the Russian SAMs?

Last edited by FlankerMan; 08-19-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #4
FlankerMan

Default Correct S-300PS/SA-10B "Grumble" Set Up.

Here we go, the long-ranged Russian SAM. It's about as effective as the Patriot. You need:

1-One SAM SA-10 S-300PS CP 54K6; this is the Command Post, which coordinates the other units.

2-One SAM SA-10 S-300PS SR 5N66M ("Clam Shell"); this is one of the Search Radars, though it is possible to get away with just one.

3-One SAM SA-10 S-300PS SR 64H6E ("Big Bird"); this is the other Search Radar, and it has a much larger detection range. As I said before, only 1 SR is required, though having each type is much better.

4-One SAM SA-10 S-300PS TR 30N6; this is the Track Radar, which locks onto the targets and guides the missiles to them.

5-Several SAM SA-10 S-300PS LN 5P85C/Ds; these are the LauNchers, each of which hold four 5V55 radio command+TVM missiles. The only difference between the two types of launcher is the spare tire covering; It's covered by a grate, making it visible, in the D, whereas in the C it's covered by an opaque something. The missiles are held in internal launch tubes.

The encyclopedia says the missiles have a maximum range of 45 KM.

Prepared for the final type?

Last edited by FlankerMan; 08-19-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #5
FlankerMan

Default Correct Buk-M1/SA-11 "Gadfly" Set Up.

Last one, ready for it? The SA-11 requires the fewest amount of units so far, and is probably the best medium-range missile in the game. To set this up, you are required to have:

1-One SAM SA-11 Buk CC 9S470M1; this is the Command and Control vehicle, which guides the other machines in the group.

2-One SAM SA-11 Buk SR 9S18M1; this is the Search Radar, which detects the targets from a long way off, though it takes around a minute or so to turn on.

3-Several SAM SA-11 Buk LN 9A310M1s; these are the LauNchers, each of which hold four external 9M38M1 SARH missiles. They each have their own internal tracking radar, so they can keep firing after the searching radar has been destroyed.

The missiles have a range of around 32 KM.

Well done, you now know how to make 4 excellent SAM systems!

Last edited by FlankerMan; 08-19-2018 at 11:17 PM.