Introducing the VKB-Sim Gunfighter

rrohde

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thing really comes into its own with the extension. The fine control in formation flying is really impressive, and the whole thing is just a tight, sturdy unit. The Warthog grip is just a little too top-heavy for this application, but the MCG will be perfect. I might have to take some height off my stand, though. :doh:

ae7Rfqq.jpg

This thing really comes into its own with the extension. The fine control in formation flying is really impressive, and the whole thing is just a tight, sturdy unit. The Warthog grip is just a little too top-heavy for this application, but the MCG will be perfect. I might have to take some height off my stand, though. :doh:

https://i.imgur.com/ae7Rfqq.jpg

Set up looks good, brother. The springs don't tighten up enough on the Gunfighter to support the Warthog grip?

I've been leaning towards VKB for my upgrade (over VPC or BRD), but I won't be getting the MCG. I only fly NATO, so instead I'll be using the Warthog, Hornet, and Tomcat grips in rotation depending on my bird of choice. I'll definitely be going with the extension (currently use a 15cm extension on my WH and I could never go back)...but before I make a move, I need to know the base + extension can support the WH grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I need that curved extension but a redesigned mount will be required. Hi, ho, hi, ho, it is off to the shop I go. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Set up looks good, brother. The springs don't tighten up enough on the Gunfighter to support the Warthog grip?

I've been leaning towards VKB for my upgrade (over VPC or BRD), but I won't be getting the MCG. I only fly NATO, so instead I'll be using the Warthog, Hornet, and Tomcat grips in rotation depending on my bird of choice. I'll definitely be going with the extension (currently use a 15cm extension on my WH and I could never go back)...but before I make a move, I need to know the base + extension can support the WH grip.

I don't fly Russian jets either but the MCG has so much functionality I can't pass it up. I have 2 50 springs on both axes (strongest) and it's still a little loose with the Warthog grip IMO. Usable but just makes everything feel mushy. The lighter KG-12 grip however, feels amazing. Just perfect. Assuming the MCG will be a similar (reasonable) weight. The Warthog may as well be made out of lead.

I don't fly Russian jets either but the MCG has so much functionality I can't pass it up. I have 2 50 springs on both axes (strongest) and it's still a little loose with the Warthog grip IMO. Usable but just makes everything feel mushy. The lighter KG-12 grip however, feels amazing. Just perfect. Assuming the MCG will be a similar (reasonable) weight. The Warthog may as well be made out of lead.

Agreed, the MCG looks great...very well designed. Still a non-starter for me though, just a personal preference. Sucks that the Gunfighter Pro base feels mushy with the Warthog grip floating on top, but truth be told I wouldn't be using that grip that often anyway once the Hornet grip is out (will use that for the Hornet and Harrier) and I'll use the Tomcat grip for it the F-14 -- which in aggregate would be 99% of my flight time.

The Hog grip would only be used once in a blue moon for the A-10C, it would really only be used frequently if a F-16 came out for DCS (as that'd be the grip I would use for it).

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still deciding on whether to buy the TM mounted version or the MCG Pro one for the gunfighter pro base.

The TM version would be mounted to one of the Bauer bases. The only thing that worries me is that you cannot use the twist adapter (with a TM base) anymore apparently, at least is says so on the VKB website. Perhaps Bauer is different, can make a connection?

For comfort when using the grip with an extension (with the BRD-N), angling the grip seems kind of vital, no? Cockpit pictures of the A-10, Harrier ... all show angled grips.

Edited by RabidRider

The springs don't tighten up enough on the Gunfighter to support the Warthog grip?

I think you should consider BRD-N (Stork) base for your preferred and heavy grip, because this base is oversized.

http://www.mudspike.com/review-brd-n-black-stork-joystick/

Strong springs certainly keep the grip on center better, but then you need fight against this springs for move the grip around, what may fit well for the "Feel Simulator" but don't help in small corrections for formation, aiming. :joystick:

The only thing that worries me is that you cannot use the twist adapter (with a TM base) anymore apparently, at least is says so on the VKB website. Perhaps Bauer is different, can make a connection?

For comfort when using the grip with an extension (with the BRD-N), angling the grip seems kind of vital, no? Cockpit pictures of the A-10, Harrier ... all show angled grips.

If by this "twist adapter" you mean be able to offset the grip ~10/15 degrees for left (or right) this is possible using BRD (and VirPil) bases without extra modification in grip lower part, see in the review linked above.

But if this "twist adapter" is the "twist rudder" (like in X-52) this - for now - is exclusivity of VKB MCG grips on VKB Gunfighter base, although not released.

Edited by Sokol1_br

If by this "twist adapter" you mean be able to offset the grip ~10/15 degrees for left (or right) this is possible using BRD (and VirPil) bases without extra modification in grip lower part, see in the review linked above.

But if this "twist adapter" is the "twist rudder" (like in X-52) this - for now - is exclusivity of VKB MCG grips on VKB Gunfighter base, although not released.

Didn't know that. I might just order the BRD-N then and the TM MCG vkb.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by RabidRider

I think you should consider BRD-N (Stork) base for your preferred and heavy grip, because this base is oversized.

http://www.mudspike.com/review-brd-n-black-stork-joystick/

Strong springs certainly keep the grip on center better, but then you need fight against this springs for move the grip around, what may fit well for the "Feel Simulator" but don't help in small corrections for formation, aiming. :joystick:

Yeah, but I use a Wheel Stand Pro so the BRD-N is a no go for me.

• Like 1

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 4 weeks later...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks! Looks like this is for the Gladiator. Will it be a similar process for the gunfighter?

If you read what I linked all the way, you would have seen this statement: "Even though the video pertains to the Gladiator Pro, the gimbal design (including cams and springs), is pretty much the same for the Gunfighter."

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 4 weeks later...

Real Pilots Testing VKB Gunfighter + MCG

There are few things more valuable feedback-wise than an opinion of a professional flier.

Here, the Gunfighter+MCG user [who flies nearly everything that flies for a living] shares his impressions.

I can only say... thank you Max for sharing, and thank you our customers for supporting us and helping us make this happen!

:pilotfly:

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Holders

We're working on it.

This task is not on the very top of the list but anyway we already have a few pre-serial samples and are currently testing them looking for possible flaws to show out. (so far none has).

The holders are going to be a hit.

How soon? - hard to say. Not weeks, not years. Would be safe to say, months.

Sorry I can't be more specific on timeline.

>

AeroGator

There are few things more valuable feedback-wise than an opinion of a professional flier.

Here, the Gunfighter+MCG user [who flies nearly everything that flies for a living] shares his impressions.

I can only say... thank you Max for sharing, and thank you our customers for supporting us and helping us make this happen!

:pilotfly:

That's a great video, I would put that in it's own thread here and have it as a Sticky for others to find easily.:thumbup:

Anything new design on a desk mounting solution?

These guys HERE do one if you cannot wait, it's built out of that 80/20 ally, that many sim rigs are built from, looking for a solution myself.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I'm sure he's aware of the MonsterTechs, I assume he is looking for more info on this beast:

2c94d757de5d8c7746a858c67763167b.jpg

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

That's a great video, I would put that in it's own thread here and have it as a Sticky for others to find easily.:thumbup:

Thanks David. I am shocked by the fact we didn't come to the same idea ourselves. :doh:

Will do tomorrow!

:thumbsup:

>

AeroGator

Whats good having great product but hard to buy (out of stock, unavailable etc).

I was thinking the same thing....every time I think about buying one there's none available :dunno::

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2