Radiators open or auto? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
Campbell

Default Radiators open or auto?

Curious how many of you guys fly the 51 with the rads full open instead of Auto? Do you guys see any benefits to one vs the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
Magic Zach

You want to drop the coolant door into manual before turning on the battery when starting up. Leave the oil in auto. It will warm up quicker.
After takeoff, flip it to auto.
Now, the more closed the coolant flap is on the back of the intake, the faster you can go. The intact actually produces a bit of thrust, so not only it makes it seem like it's not even there, it increases speed. If it's closed, or near-closed.
Having them open will increase cooling the more it is open. But for the coolant door, the more it is open, the slower you can generally go. Not sure on the oil doors though.
Generally, after takeoff, it's best to leave them in automatic.
Solty would know more.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
You want to drop the coolant door into manual before turning on the battery when starting up. Leave the oil in auto. It will warm up quicker.
After takeoff, flip it to auto.
Now, the more closed the coolant flap is on the back of the intake, the faster you can go. The intact actually produces a bit of thrust, so not only it makes it seem like it's not even there, it increases speed. If it's closed, or near-closed.
Having them open will increase cooling the more it is open. But for the coolant door, the more it is open, the slower you can generally go. Not sure on the oil doors though.
Generally, after takeoff, it's best to leave them in automatic.
Solty would know more.

I fly with Solty pretty regularly, he keeps his in Auto, I’m just just curious as to what others are doing.

Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #4
Captain Orso

I open it manually when oil temps go above green, otherwise on auto.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:23 AM   #5
M1Combat

I map Open, Close and Auto for both the oil and coolant radiator. I pay attention to them and if they go over the green at all I'll manually open them while fighting for a bit and then continue to pay attention to them. As soon as they start to stabilize I put them back on auto.

Essentially...
The system that opens them doesn't kick in as quick as I'd like so I open them manually and then switch them to auto at more optimal times.

Nvidia GTX970 (HTC Vive)
MSI Z77 MPower
Core i5-3570K
24GB G-Skill Trident-X

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals
(UCR - mapping throttle and clutch pedals together to form a rudder Axis)
GamesCom/Plantronics 780 USB Headset
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #6
Reflected

Always on auto. As Zach said, flip them to manual before turning on the battery (both) so that you don't drain it while the engine is off. Flip them to auto when the engine is running. I wouldn't leave it on manual until after takeoff, because you spawn with them closed, and you risk overheating the engine during takeoff.

My Music
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,6 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / TrackIR 4 PRO
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Solty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
I fly with Solty pretty regularly, he keeps his in Auto, I’m just just curious as to what others are doing.

Most of the time I fly on auto but if an enemy is trying to run in a straight line and especially if we both have high speed above 400mph I close it. But you have to keep your eyes on the ball and temperatures. If you fly uncoordinated your engine dies, if you turn and do not change to auto, it dies, if you fly too slow it dies. And always run (at low altitude) Emergency rich mixture. If you don't your engine dies. I told you that you know...

Anyway, flying with any other setting is a waste of time. Especially for me as I already have to use RPM regulation via buttons and look around by using the HAT and not to mention the radiator door open themselves on auto if your temp is too high.

I have not noticed any reduction in engine failure when opening manually the radiator anyway. I have to check again during climb but flying at 61' killed my engine last time I tried

In DCS you can't really climb on MIL and WEP. It always leads to engine failure when you are climbing at the listed climb speed :/

PS. Real life manuals say to leave it on auto during flight at all times.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
M1Combat

The problem is that the radiators are set to auto open/close when the temp is already just outside of the green (on the cold or hot side). Also... and maybe the larger problem... they open and close VERY slowly. So..

I find if I'm going to do something that will heat the engine quickly then I can start opening a radiator after a quick glance at the gauges to see if either are close to the top of the green or warmer. That said... don't check if there's pretty much any chance of losing sight of your enemy. I can guarantee that I've been able to make the engine survive longer in a vertical fight manually opening the rads for a few seconds before getting to the top and having more power doing it. Of course after opening them just before the apex I then click them back to auto just as I start to gain real speed.

Like Solty says though... If I need to bug out or chase someone down I'll close them down but not all the way. I close them until I can hear them hit the stops then I open them for 1.5-2 seconds. Just for a bit of safety. Especially on a hot day...

Nvidia GTX970 (HTC Vive)
MSI Z77 MPower
Core i5-3570K
24GB G-Skill Trident-X

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals
(UCR - mapping throttle and clutch pedals together to form a rudder Axis)
GamesCom/Plantronics 780 USB Headset
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
MACHiavelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post

Thanks
System Specs: i7-8700K @ 5.3GHz 1.36V HT Off|Asus Maximus X|Nvidia Titan Xp SLI|Corsair Platinum 32GB DDR4 2400MHz C10|Samsung 2TB 960 Pro M.2 SSD (DCS)|Samsung 1TB 960 Pro M.2 SSD (Win 10)|Corsair AX1500i|Custom Loop
MACHiavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:28 AM   #10
BSS_Sniper

If they worked right you could leave them in auto. Just open both fully and you'll rarely overheat. Anything else is wrong.