Request help from Rift CV1 w 1080 / 1080Ti to run F/A-18C performance test.

Hippo

I wonder if an Oculus Rift CV1 user with a 1080 Ti OR 1080 would be so kind as to run the following test on their system, so that I can gauge whether to buy one of these (£800+ :() cards.

And for the test itself:

Keep the HMD on your desk, we do not want its screens to activate at any point. Be careful not to accidentally trigger the sensor with fingers while moving / placing the headset.

Start Oculus Home. I'm running version 2.whatever the latest update is.

Start DCS OpenBeta 2.5.2.17978.

Change DCS settings so that they match the settings below.

Bring up the frame rate counter (ctrl - pause).

Run the instant action mission "Airfield Takeoff and Navigation", i.e. click on "FLY".

Centre the view with VR Centre. You may need to move the HMD before keystrokes register.

Let me know what your frame rate is (just sitting in the cockpit).

(optional) Do the same for the missions "Carrier Takeoff" and "Ready on the Ramp".

This would be very helpful to me. Many, many thanks for any replies. I would like to get an idea for both the 1080 and 1080 Ti.

picture.php?albumid=1534&pictureid=9893

picture.php?albumid=1534&pictureid=9890

picture.php?albumid=1534&pictureid=9891

picture.php?albumid=1534&pictureid=9892

Sure.

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord

Your Settings:

Airfield Takeoff: 75

Carrier Takeoff: 70/75

Ready on the Ramp: 75

My settings are different and yield slightly more consistent results. In all cases, after takeoff, FPS climbs to 90 pretty much stays 80-90 with some dips to 70. No tearing or skips and I don't get seasick effect at all. But I'm a pilot and I almost never do anyway.

FRAPS counter in the bottom left. Drops it's rate counter when I take a screenshot. Otherwise, it keeps the same rate as internal.

Screenshots with your settings:

https://imgur.com/a/nshqdY9

Edited by Thudster

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Your Settings:

My settings are different and yield slightly more consistent results. In all cases, after takeoff, FPS climbs to 90 pretty much stays 80-90 with some dips to 70. No tearing or skips and I don't get seasick effect at all. But I'm a pilot and I almost never do anyway.

FRAPS counter in the bottom left. Drops it's rate counter when I take a screenshot. Otherwise, it keeps the same rate as internal.

Ctrl + Pause ingame to get ingame on screen counter, rather than fraps, then you can post screenshots to show your fps.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Ctrl + Pause ingame to get ingame on screen counter, rather than fraps, then you can post screenshots to show your fps.

I also prefer in-game FPS count. I do not have a Rift (own Vive and Vive Pro), and it would only show either 45 or 90 FPS for anything above 45 fps (and any numbers that are lower than 45). Does Occulus Rift work differently allowing FPS between 45 and 90 because with Vive you either get 90 or 45 and not something in between? Mind you I never see 90 in the game, only in the main menu, lol.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I also prefer in-game FPS count. I do not have a Rift (own Vive and Vive Pro), and it would only show either 45 or 90 FPS for anything above 45 fps (and any numbers that are lower than 45). Does Occulus Rift work differently allowing FPS between 45 and 90 because with Vive you either get 90 or 45 and not something in between? Mind you I never see 90 in the game, only in the main menu, lol.

Yes with the Oculus Rift one can disable ASW ( I use Oculus Tray Tool for this ), and then will see fps between 45-90, as well as below 45.

With ASW enabled, only 45 fps or 90 fps.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The Vive has ASW controlled in SteamVR - I'm at work so can't put up a screenshot, but it's under the Developer option in the SteamVR Settings. Once you turn this off then frame rates between 45 and 90 will occur, although there is a doubling-up effect depending on the frame rate fluctuations.

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

Dont forget, where your view is centred will give different FPS values. Even slightly looking in certain directions off the HUD can vary it immensely. Looking at sky/floor and not near the front makes a large difference.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Dont forget, where your view is centred will give different FPS values. Even slightly looking in certain directions off the HUD can vary it immensely. Looking at sky/floor and not near the front makes a large difference.

Def does change. Doesn't for long and no frame drag, lag, or jumps associated with the occasional flux.

As long as it stays smooth and in the top range of FPS, now I just fly. No more tuning until something in-game changes and demands more adjustments.

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

• 4 weeks later...
Your Settings:

Thanks again for doing that. If my PM from a month ago seemed a bit strange, it's because for some reason I couldn't see some of my screenshots in the post whilst I was banned. Now I've served my sentence, it all looks ok again - sorry for the confusion.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

No worries. I understand most of what you are trying to do. I think until ED is through the next iteration of the engine, not sure we can all help them much. Right now I prefer to play...

My gameplay experience continues to be more than acceptable and less than perfect, still not where I know it can/should be. I'm fine with it until there's a better capability in VR Devices (2020 I'm guessing for meaningful resolution/speed/IPD) and the graphics engines catch up (2019/2020 likely).

I don't think the current batch of 4k+ devices outside of Rift are yet viable alternatives. Partly due to the engine in DCS, partly because they remain dependant on SteamVR, which frankly is a poor user experience.

Being an IT Infrastructure guy, I'm fine throwing bigger hardware at a needy application at least for a period of time...

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS