HGU-55/P and Oculus risk...what could go wrong?

Mt5_Roie

So I belong to the DCS group on facebook and a couple weeks ago someone posted how they got a HGU-55/P military helmet to work with DCS. Got me thinking and I started looking at helmets on ebay. After some time, I finally won one and it arrived yesterday.

My goal was to use it with TrackIR (and still is) and get the speakers and microphone to work with DCS. After using a voltmeter to test the plug, I found the speakers were not working. Taking apart the connections for them, I discovered the cable was cut. So went online and ordered new parts.

All during this time, I was in contact with posted from the facebook group about ideas. He mentioned that he eventually wanted to get an oculus rift working with it. I have one, but initially though the size was too big. So last night after doing a 3 hour mission with my squad, I was like - lets see. Turns out, since the back part is pretty flexible...it does actually fit. Since it was 1 am...didn't do a flight.

Today I woke up and wanted to test it. So I got everything set up and started recording. My GoPro seems to have an issue after about 30 minutes of recording where it loses a second of recording...so in post editing I had to re-sync a lot of footage. But here's some general notes:

1) There is a line on my head from the helmet or oculus, I suspect adding better padding in the helmet will help.

2) when the mask is on, you can't hear me talk right now (since I don't have the microphone working from the mask), but you need to make sure the mask is tight. If it's not tight then air escapes up and goes into the oculus via the nose opening and fogs it up.

3) The mask goes around the nose which tends to push the oculus rift up and unfocused things. I had to manually push it down a couple times. I'll try in the future to tighten the rift more before putting the helmet on.

4) I suspected the helmet might block some of the sensors, but it didn't. I have three sensors (two in 360 mode, and one right in front of me). Tracking, once I put the front one correctly, was not an issue.

5) Dogfighting with it could be physically straining...since you have to move more. I'm going to see if I can find a 5 point harness to simulate that as well to see how crazy it gets.

Overall...tons of fun and will make another video when I get the parts to make it work with TrackIR.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Dang, you've got the full get up going! :) You should add a JetSeat to go along with the flight suit! Next up, a raid to your hospital to grab some O2 canisers? ;)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Lol pretty sure my wife would have me committed...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

They have their handbags and shoes. We have our nomax gloves and other accoutrement! :)

The thing about the nomex glove is that it's lightweight and has great traction. In the Army we used it all the time. It's much much better than the ones the Army issues you. It doesn't give you cold weather protection as much, but it still works like a charm.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1