is there a way to limit the maximum zoom out slow fov?

I use a smooth transition from zoom in to zoom out! I don’t use a preset snapview but instead i use the zoom in slow and zoom out slow keys!

The problem is that with DCS Spitfire and Dora (in particular but could happen in other modules) the zoomed out picture is a FISHEYE...

a3fb032203781b6bcaff33c6e743c953ef0aadb3_1_666x500.jpeg

(Apart not breaking the immersion, i think that having a smooth zoom is giving me an advantage too! That way you’ll go trough all the LOD levels and instinctively stop to the one I see the bogey better!) instead of jumping to a zoomed in zoomed out preset!

I see some use a Tir axis to zoom instead of leaning your head back and forth in the cockpit, but i don’t think it’s natural! And that way i can’t lean close to instruments to read them better!

Some other use the TM hotas wharthog axis increase and decrease grey slider as a zoom but using it i would have to leave the throttle (my fingers are long but not too much!) also when i tried it the vision flickered back and forth a little as the axis needed some sort of dead zone…

So… still seeking advice and ideas!

Note i use the same pov on my left thumb in the tm wharthog throttle in 2 other flight sims and also in dcs! it works fine apart the fisheye zoomed out picture… if possible i would prefer not to change my habits!

so is there a way to limit the maximum zoom out slow fov?

AMD 5800 x3d Ekwb liquid cooled - 32 GB 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C14D-32GTZ - rtx 3080 Asus Ekwb liquid cooled - Asus Dark Hero X570 - M2 Nvme 1tb 980 pro - M2 Nvme 1tb 970 evo - some other HD

Reverb G2 VR headset  + Leap motion hand controller 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Modern Combat Edition’ Ultimate - Extended + Custom made Speed "bugfeedback" stiffening joystick with arduino and DCS Bios - Trhustmaster Wharthog throttle -MFG Crosswinf pedals -Simshaker controling a Jetseat and 2 bassshakers

FoV min/max is part of the module, and requires modding the relevant aircraft's LUA files. Some, like the Mi-8 allow you to alter the max FoV ingame under the special tab. I don't know why, but it's only an issue on single monitors. On multi-screens like I have, there is a reasonable Max on all the aircraft, in the Mi-8's case it was actually slightly too close.

-edit and yes, zooming in/out does give you an advantage, as you say the LoDs pop in and out at set... points, anyway. Not sure why it works the way it does, but you can see stuff from farther away that normally doesn't render.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

so is there a way to limit the maximum zoom out slow fov?

Yes there is, go to your x:\dcs world\mods\aircraft\fw-190d\ and open views.lua and change

CameraViewAngleLimits  = {20.0, 140.0},

the settings to your liking, 20.0 is the minimum zoom level all way forward and 140.0 is the maximum zoom level like in your picture. It stands for 20° fov min and 140° fov max. Same for the spitfire and most other planes. If you have it on a axis and want for example 90° as your middle position you have to use min and max values so that 90° is in the middle for the whole travel. so in the example above we have 20° minimum and a 140° maximum which gives you 120° of travel divided by 2 for + and - axis is 60° if you add 60° to your 20° min value you end up with an 80° default fov which zooms to 20° inwards and 140° outwards on its axis.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Yes there is, go to your x:\dcs world\mods\aircraft\fw-190d\ and open views.lua and change

if i edit that file the spitfire disappear from the mod list and if i try to connect online i get the reply you can't you require a pure client!

other ideas??

AMD 5800 x3d Ekwb liquid cooled - 32 GB 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C14D-32GTZ - rtx 3080 Asus Ekwb liquid cooled - Asus Dark Hero X570 - M2 Nvme 1tb 980 pro - M2 Nvme 1tb 970 evo - some other HD

VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Modern Combat Edition’ Ultimate - Extended + Custom made Speed "bugfeedback" stiffening joystick with arduino and DCS Bios - Trhustmaster Wharthog throttle -MFG Crosswinf pedals -Simshaker controling a Jetseat and 2 bassshakers

TY all for the suppport!

should i just move the views.lua to the savedgames/dcsopenbeta/config

or i should rename it?

Deleted. it did not work for me.

Edited by DeepDrummer

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

I personally bind only the "zoom in slow" and "zoom normal" functions .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Bump! i think this could help many people not just me!

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! It seems impossible ther's not a fix for this!

Dont know about keys, but if mapped to an axis you can limit the saturation.

I too hate this.

+1

I posted a reply regarding a mini joystick control on a device here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3615357#post3615357

I use the little mini stick (Axis) on my TM Hotas Warthog throttle as a quick return to my choice of views.

I set it up as a zoom function although I only use it to quickly pull it back to my preferred seating position. I use buttons for my slow zoom functions as well and was always nasty when I zoomed out.

The mini stick axis is self centering so I just tweaked the saturation so that center was my preferred seating spot. I get to retain my full zoom sweep using my buttons that way.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

I edited my default FOV to work with my 3 screen setup. There were 2 files that needed to be edited. One contained what I believe are global limits, and the other defined the views for each view in each plane separately. There may be more than one file that needs to be edited in order for the modification to work. Unfortunately I'm not at home, so I can't pull up the procedure I wrote for myself. I'll check when I can.

** check the server.lua file, in the config->view folder **

Edited by Eclipse

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant