Oculus Rift CV1, upgrade or not

Krupi

Hi Chaps,

I brought a 2060 SUPER in March at the start of lockdown replacing my GTX 780 that blew around 2017. I am now wondering if it is worth upgrading from the Rift CV1, is it worth it for the removal of SDE?

If I do upgrade will I have to accept upgrading my PC as well? I had less of a boost in FPS going from the GTX 780 to the 2060 SUPER than I had expected.

Thanks,

Krupi

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

The 2060 super should run a Rift S reasonably well . And that headset is (graphically speaking) a nice upgrade from the CV1 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I find myself looking at the Reverb G2 as a logical next step, although it might have to be combined with a new GPU.

The Index is also on my radar thanks to it's large FOV

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Nice ! I plan to do the same after Ampere/RDNA2 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just preordered the Reverb G2 from Amazon Spain, £100 cheaper than the UK seller!

Unfortunately Boris is waiting behind the corrner to charge you additional £200 do tho "Brexit" task. :music_whistling:

Kidding. Unfortunately If you do some significant GPU upgrade you will need new CPU/MBO as well.

2060S will not work well with G2. You will need to downgrade graphic details or go in some negative SS to run this on G2 with 2060S. Recommend minimum by HP is 2070S. With RX 5700XT for same money you will be better because it is in range of 2070S with performances but 2060S with price.

But now you have what you have and can't change it.

This will be bust in quality of your VR but not in full potential of G2.

Use it what you have till next year when you will have new Nvidia 30XX or AMD 6X00 as next gen GPU and new AMD ryzen 4th gen. Then do full rig upgread depend on your budget. Even 3rd gen Ryzen will lower the price and it is good CPU. Ryzen 5 3600 with some good B450 MBO will be great upgrade for about £200 or less and will not bottleneck new GPU. Maybe i5 10600K lower the price as well to be competitive. It is better gaming CPU but more expensive, if you buy Ryzen 5 3600 it is now £100 less and if you invest this £100 in to better GPU you will got more performances in general not just comparing CPU's. I'm not favoryzing AMD or Intel CPU just comparing to get most for less.

Just speculating if you are on the budget, if not anyway wait Q1 next year for the better new hardware or better price for current.

If you cant stand, do just minor transition upgrade in way of used 2080Super but not before October when price of the used cards will start to drop significantly. This is max for your current CPU to have sense to upgrade, everything higher will have bottleneck and will be waste of resources.

Such minimum "transition" upgrade could hold you to the middle of the year and give you opportunity to save some founds for proper full upgrade. :thumbup:

Edited by wormeaten

Unfortunately Boris is waiting behind the corrner to charge you additional £200 do tho "Brexit" task. :music_whistling:

Kidding. Unfortunately If you do some significant GPU upgrade you will need new CPU/MBO as well.

2060S will not work well with G2. You will need to downgrade graphic details or go in some negative SS to run this on G2 with 2060S. Recommend minimum by HP is 2070S. With RX 5700XT for same money you will be better because it is in range of 2070S with performances but 2060S with price.

But now you have what you have and can't change it.

This will be bust in quality of your VR but not in full potential of G2.

Use it what you have till next year when you will have new Nvidia 30XX or AMD 6X00 as next gen GPU and new AMD ryzen 4th gen. Then do full rig upgread depend on your budget. Even 3rd gen Ryzen will lower the price and it is good CPU. Ryzen 5 3600 with some good B450 MBO will be great upgrade for about £200 or less and will not bottleneck new GPU. Maybe i5 10600K lower the price as well to be competitive. It is better gaming CPU but more expensive, if you buy Ryzen 5 3600 it is now £100 less and if you invest this £100 in to better GPU you will got more performances in general not just comparing CPU's. I'm not favoryzing AMD or Intel CPU just comparing to get most for less.

Just speculating if you are on the budget, if not anyway wait Q1 next year for the better new hardware or better price for current.

If you cant stand, do just minor transition upgrade in way of used 2080Super but not before October when price of the used cards will start to drop significantly. This is max for your current CPU to have sense to upgrade, everything higher will have bottleneck and will be waste of resources.

Such minimum "transition" upgrade could hold you to the middle of the year and give you opportunity to save some founds for proper full upgrade. :thumbup:

Where have you read that about the 2060S the specs I have seen show the 2060S & above works on on Full Res whilst the 2060 (Non Super) only works up to Half Res.

See here https://first-image-bucket.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/RevrbG2/SystemActive-Reverb-G2-Quick-specs.pdf

I plan on giving my brother my current components at some point, it is a question of when! (Hopefully, assuming I still have a job between the B word & the pandemic). I don't really have an allegiance so Intel/AMD or Nvidia 30XX/AMD GPU rDNA2 whichever has the best offer!

PS. I am still in denial over the B word! :doh:

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit