Realism versus fun - Page 12 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-05-2020, 07:09 AM   #111
QuiGon
Veteran

Thank you Tokoyami for sharing your experiences on chasing your dream. I'm really glad that something like DCS exists to offer the average Joe, who doesn't have 20/20 vision or so, the opportunity to live this dream virtually, although it obviously falls short cmpared to the real deal.

I had to chuckle a bit though when you talked about the shortcomings of the simulation in regards to the immersion of flying, because that's actually not so much what I'm into. For me the most immersion lies in the interaction with the systems and avionics. I would actually rather be a WSO/RIO than a pilot, as I love to interact with the various onboard systems, to control the sensors and employ the weapons. Flying for me is just a necessity to get the weapons and systems to where they are needed. That doesn't mean I don't want the flying part to to be as realistic/immersive as possible though.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #112
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by statrekmike View Post
What people want is DCS to continue to be a platform that tries its best to provide realistic, immersive aircraft to explore and interact with. Obviously there should be options for those that want to tone down the complexity (perhaps MAC is that solution in the long run) but this idea that it is either "make DCS accessible" or "I want to actually file paperwork, go through real-life briefings, and actually have a chance of dying in combat" with no in between is silly and doesn't help the conversation move forward.
What people want is, what DCS already addresses pretty good. They want to be able to "make it accessible" as an option, through settings and configuration, while having the option to set it to full realism including to choose to "file paperwork, go through real-life briefings, and..." at least when dying in the Sim, not just press a button to respawn and go in with a fresh plane.
The challenge is to keep both options so everybody can make the most out of his DCS experience, not forcing the Sim in one particular direction.
MAC will likely cater more for things like public servers with Leaderboards, Tournaments, casual Online Dogfights and Match-Making, but that is possible in DCS already. In parallel we have Squadrons doing ultra realism missions on there closed servers and actually go through 1 hour mission briefings, pre-flight, etc.
That's what I love about DCS. I can decide on a daily basis, if I want a pleasure flight and sight seeing, play a bit of a story driven campaign, try a casual ground attack or BFM training with a friend, or go for a realistic mission with a group of milsim nerds that takes 3 plus hours.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #113
Tokoyami

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Thank you Tokoyami for sharing your experiences on chasing your dream. I'm really glad that something like DCS exists to offer the average Joe, who doesn't have 20/20 vision or so, the opportunity to live this dream virtually, although it obviously falls short cmpared to the real deal.

I had to chuckle a bit though when you talked about the shortcomings of the simulation in regards to the immersion of flying, because that's actually not so much what I'm into. For me the most immersion lies in the interaction with the systems and avionics. I would actually rather be a WSO/RIO than a pilot, as I love to interact with the various onboard systems, to control the sensors and employ the weapons. Flying for me is just a necessity to get the weapons and systems to where they are needed. That doesn't mean I don't want the flying part to to be as realistic/immersive as possible though.
Thank you for your comments - I read every word. I think we are much closer aligned than we suspect. I respect and appreciate your opinions and what’s important to you.
Tokoyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #114
Mr_sukebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
What people want is, what DCS already addresses pretty good. They want to be able to "make it accessible" as an option, through settings and configuration, while having the option to set it to full realism including to choose to "file paperwork, go through real-life briefings, and..." at least when dying in the Sim, not just press a button to respawn and go in with a fresh plane.
The challenge is to keep both options so everybody can make the most out of his DCS experience, not forcing the Sim in one particular direction.
MAC will likely cater more for things like public servers with Leaderboards, Tournaments, casual Online Dogfights and Match-Making, but that is possible in DCS already. In parallel we have Squadrons doing ultra realism missions on there closed servers and actually go through 1 hour mission briefings, pre-flight, etc.
That's what I love about DCS. I can decide on a daily basis, if I want a pleasure flight and sight seeing, play a bit of a story driven campaign, try a casual ground attack or BFM training with a friend, or go for a realistic mission with a group of milsim nerds that takes 3 plus hours.
+1 on that
Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #115
upyr1

Realism is the theme to DCS. So if you don't think things can be fun and realistic
upyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote