Making DCS more accessible to new players. - Page 30 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #291
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1004 View Post
I was talking about default stock configurations. Not special setups.

Just as well you've given up, I don't think anyone else has a clue what are you're talking about
Flamin_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #292
SharpeXB

We all want DCS to be accessible to new players, but there’s no helping lazy or unmotivated ones.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #293
MAXsenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. All comes before Devastate, annihilate and liberate.
Came late to this discussion. But this might be my next tattoo.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
MAXsenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #294
SmirkingGerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomTOTEN View Post

Lets talk about perceptions, and how many of you in fact work to make DCS less accessible to new users:

. . .

Compare that characterization to this example:

Originally Posted by SmirkingGerbil
Meanwhile, enjoying the P-47 immensely.

Mapped to my TM HOTAS...
Took me about 4 hours of testing, and reading the manual. Another 4 hours of watching Greg's You Tube series to understand technical errata, and Chucks Guide (manual)... 8 hours, over about a week off and on of putzing around.

Random, thanks for the reference.

To add to it, those 8 hours included a lot of flying with the default bindings. Most of the mapping done was to map Pitch, Boost, Cowling settings, Bomb drop toggle switches, Inter-Cooler, Oil Cooler, Dive Flaps and other often used controls. Even then it was me moving them around to make them more ergonomic. So plenty of flying in those 8 hours (= fun!) and experimenting with different HOTAS mappings to create an environment where I didn't touch the keyboard or use the mouse cursor to click a control.

I think the only thing I use the keyboard for is landing gear, and the radio buttons A - D.

The short of it being, it wasn't all drudgery and boring. Plenty of flying in there while I optimized bindings to my liking.

Just want new users to understand I flew the P-47 out of the box, no binding changes other than I had to delete some dual mappings between the Thrustmaster Pedals and the Stick, which admittedly is kind of odd, not sure if that is a thing with other input devices.

A couple visits to the control bindings and you figure it out pretty quick, and using the SEARCH function, which is a real boon in finding mappings and changing them. DCS has a lot of commonality with other sims, so control bindings shouldn't really be that tough, and even if you do have issues, just ask!
Old 08-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #295
gavagai

How about the hardon some server admins have for doing full alignments, but without sufficient warning that the server is going to reset in less than 10 minutes? That pushes away experienced pilots, let alone beginners. The most experienced military pilot I know won't fly on a server with cold starts...
gavagai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:12 AM   #296
Taz1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post

Just as well you've given up, I don't think anyone else has a clue what are you're talking about
Can't help people who are too "lazy" to read simple post.
Taz1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #297
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1004 View Post
Can't help people who are too "lazy" to read simple post.
I thought you was done with this thread this is the third time.
freehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #298
SharpeXB

I just installed that “new flight sim” today
Try assigning controls in that! DCS is magnificent by comparison
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #299
Baldrick33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
I just installed that “new flight sim” today
Try assigning controls in that! DCS is magnificent by comparison
You are not wrong
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #300
OnlyforDCS
Veteran

Late to the discussion, but the main thing I have problems with are checklists, start-up, shut-down, different buttons in the cockpit and what they do, radio, comms, radar, weapon selection, etc. etc. etc.

One great advantage of clickable cockpits is that you can use them without binding anything. I believe that new players would really, and I mean really appreciate having some kind of nice clear and concise checklist guide (maybe even with some pretty pictures) in the kneeboard for every aircraft. Something along the line's of Chuck's guide but maybe even more simplified and accessible within the cockpit so they can simply active-pause the sim (or not if theyre on autopilot or sitting on the ground) and find the necessary steps to engage whatever system it is they want.

Even as an experienced DCS player, with the many breaks I take from DCS I sure as hell would appreciate something like that.
Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Last edited by OnlyforDCS; 08-20-2020 at 08:01 AM.
OnlyforDCS is offline   Reply With Quote