Advice good HOTAS for mixed use desk set - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #11
PL_Harpoon

@zepher
I'm in a similar situation (working from home, same desk for flying/working) and I've recently upgraded to a new setup so I think I might help you here.

Obviously it all depends on how much money you're willing to spend.
I went with this setup:

THROTTLE

To be completely honest I chose Warthog over WinWing because:
a) WinWing Throttle was out of stock at that time
b) delivery time of Warthog was much faster anyway
c) I've heard good things about Thrustmaster customer service while WinWing is a wild guess in that regard IMHO
After a few months of usage the only downside of TM throttle was the ministick (it's the same little "nipple" as on some laptop keyboards) but DeltaSim have an excellent mod for it. It's easy to install and works great. You have to wait for it to be shipped but I highly recommend it anyway.

STICK
For me it was a match between Virpil and TM, because they have interchangeable grips. Virpil is apparently a better one (more smooth, no "stiction"), but they rarely have them in stock, so you need to wait for them to be ready for shipment. That's why I went for TM base. It's still way better than any cheaper joystick.
As for the grip, it depends what aircraft you're most interested in. If it's F-16/A-10, go for the Warthog grip, if it's Hornet/Harrier or the future F-15E, go for the Hornet. One thing to add is that while the Hornet stick has technically the same amount of buttons as the Warthog, the latter has more Hats, so I think it would be easier to use the Warthog stick for the Hornet than the Hornet stick for the A-10. I went for the Hornet because that's what I fly the most.

I also strongly recommend buying the extension. I went for the 15cm one. Bought a "cheap" one from AliExpress but there are some more trustworthy (but slightly more expensive) alternatives, like Sahaj.

MOUNTS
If you have the space I recommend WheelStandPro. The good thing is that you can mount your HOTAS on it and just move the whole thing out of the way when you don't need it. It's also very robust and adjustable. The downsides are:
a) it's heavy
b) as I've said before you need some space to put it away
I can send some pictures later if you're interested.

RUDDER
As for the rudder I went with TPR as it's one of the best out there. It's expensive, but if you're planning on flying helicopters I think it pays off. If not IMHO you could go for a cheaper one like the TM T.Flight pedals or Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals (I've had the second one for around 8 years and was fairly happy with them).

One more thing: technically, WheelStandPro doesn't support TPR pedals, however mine came with drilled holes that fit perfectly, so I didn't have to do anything to make it work.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #12
tintifaxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
@zepher
If you have the space I recommend WheelStandPro. The good thing is that you can mount your HOTAS on it and just move the whole thing out of the way when you don't need it. It's also very robust and adjustable. The downsides are:
a) it's heavy
b) as I've said before you need some space to put it away
I can send some pictures later if you're interested.

I guestimate 30kg for the whole setup?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #13
PL_Harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
I guestimate 30kg for the whole setup?
Close. With TPR it's about 25. The good thing is, it doesn't move no matter what floor it stands on.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #14
acid1216

I have a TM Cougar that I bought back in 2010 that still works great. Whether it's BMS or DCS, it works great with the Viper and you can't beat it.
acid1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #15
MustangSally

After owning both the TM Warthog and Virpil Mongoos (Stick and throttle), I'm now a Winwing convert. Throttle is magnificent with the stick also up there with the others.

If however your budget can't stretch very far then the Warthog would be your best starting point imho.

Obutto Ozone
i9-9900K @ 5.1 - delided, Gigabyte Aorus Elite MB

32gig Corsair DDR4@3600
MSI 2080Ti, Corsair H150i Pro water cooler
Winwing Super Taurus and Super Libra
MFG Crosswind pedals
HP reverb & TrackIr

Last edited by MustangSally; 08-03-2020 at 11:16 PM.
MustangSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #16
zepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSally View Post
After owning both the TM Warthog and Virpil Mongoos (Stick and throttle), I'm now a Winwing convert. Throttle is magnificent with the stick also up there with the others.

How are the Winwing mounts?
zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:06 AM   #17
MustangSally

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepher View Post
How are the Winwing mounts?

For me absolutely rock solid. They may not look as good as the Monstertech mounts but they do the job.

Obutto Ozone
i9-9900K @ 5.1 - delided, Gigabyte Aorus Elite MB

32gig Corsair DDR4@3600
MSI 2080Ti, Corsair H150i Pro water cooler
Winwing Super Taurus and Super Libra
MFG Crosswind pedals
HP reverb & TrackIr
MustangSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #18
Burt

TM Warhog Hotas
Monstertech mounts.
They also do chair mounts too. Both products here are high quality and will last. I have been through most of the lower end/budget ones and just to you some time .... go big for DCS ! There’s some really good stuff coming down the pipe .
Take Care

Stable and Open Beta
Start Date March 2020

Last edited by Burt; 08-04-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #19
Burt

Also, I waited 4 months for my Warthog ! It’s terrible these days with covid. But my monstertech mounts only took 8 days from Germany. The packaging was the best I have ever seen a company do. And the warthog and DCS are married, hassle free keybinding and really don’t need the thrustmaster Target program. I love simplicity !

Stable and Open Beta
Start Date March 2020

Last edited by Burt; 08-04-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote