Table mounted landing gear selector switch from a Tornado - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 01:49 AM   #51
Sickdog

So here’s one of my last updates... good news! I got a batch of new Mosfets (Cylewet, as I mentioned above), and now it works perfectly! I have a feeling I fried the first mosfet at some point, or maybe because I initially forgot to place the 10k resistor. Anyway, thanks again for the heaps of help and sharing your wealth of knowledge DeadMeat! I’ll share a video and some photos soon of my setup. Now I’m considering grabbing another gear lever to make a hook like yours too! You’re costing me a lot of money with your ideas DM! Haha!
Old 10-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #52
DeadMeat

Good job troubleshooting the thing. It's part of the learning experience messing with these things. Always nice when it pays off!
DeadMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:40 AM   #53
Sickdog

Question for any of you (or perhaps just DeadMeat) that is powering a solenoid in a gear lever.... So I’m noticing that with the 24V power I have connected to it, the unit gets really hot after maybe an hour our two of use. It heats up in one little area on the side of the unit, perhaps where the solenoid is. It’s so hot that I can barely touch it. It’s relatively exposed so I don’t think it’s a ventilation issue. Does this sound normal?
Old 10-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #54
Hansolo

@Sickdog, I noticed something similar when running the magnetic held switches at 24VDC. The bat got qiute hot. Since I was able to use 12VDC then that issue dissapeared. I know this will solve it for you as yours won't energize at 12VDC.

Cheers
Hans
Old 10-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #55
Sickdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansolo View Post
@Sickdog, I noticed something similar when running the magnetic held switches at 24VDC. The bat got qiute hot. Since I was able to use 12VDC then that issue dissapeared. I know this will solve it for you as yours won't energize at 12VDC.

Cheers
Hans
That’s helpful to at least know that, thanks for the reply Hans. I might try the 12VDC again now that she’s been humming along with 24VDC, maybe she’ll magically be happy with less voltage now. Either that or I’ll buy a Halon fire extinguisher and rig it up to a T-Handle to pull for a gear lever fire, kinda like for an engine fire, adding a mixed reality to emergencies in DCS! But in all seriousness, thanks again.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:25 AM   #56
Sickdog

Hey guys- I’m back with a question. It’s been awhile but my gear lever has been functioning great this whole time. However, my Cougar MFD that was in close proximity to the gear lever stopped working one day, just totally dead. Just a guess but thinking there’s a strong magnetic field when I power that sucker up, or something that fried the cougar. Anyway, I stopped powering the solenoid for awhile till I could remount the lever farther from electronics (but also for proper placement for my sim-pit).

So now that the gear lever is remounted where I want it, I tried plugging it in with my 24VDC and a weird thing is happening. Only when in the hornet pit and no other time, the solenoid cycles on and off over and over again. It’s been awhile since I wired it up so my trouble shooting skills are a bit rusty right now. But I confirmed the wires are all correct (gear lever functionality up/down is fine) and the DCS BIOS sketch hasn’t changed. Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Old 08-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #57
supa325

What search terms did you use to find the gear handle? I don't necessarily need a tornado handle, but I have tried a6, f4, f14, anything that is retired and I have found squat that isn't a made by revel and 1:28 scale
supa325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #58
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

supa325

Try "aircraft landing gear control" in eBay, example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-lan...4AAOSwKiReoeHJ
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #59
supa325

Thanks Sokol. I'll keep searching. And saving up, haha
supa325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #60
DeadMeat

They called one of mine for "Undercarriage Selector Switch".. Paid 40 bucks for it. They pop up once in a while
DeadMeat is offline   Reply With Quote