DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread - Page 209 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 03:00 AM   #2081
pimp

Thank you Devs. Whatever y'all pushed in the last update fixed my VR performance. It's back to normal now. No more stuttering.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #2082
speed-of-heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemaker View Post
Hi guys, i tryed to update my stable version, but it wants to download everything from internet, despite i have the latest open beta update on my computer!
Is there any way to copy datas from the beta instead of downloading everything from servers?
thanks
There was a change to the updater, it now no longer makes use of a custom downloads directory, what you can do is copy all the files from one to the other , or you can create a hard link between the two in windows...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW 11Gb, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView, CombatFlite

VR Stuff: My 2.5.5 DCS VR Settings, My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & Stable
speed-of-heat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #2083
clanitho

Quote:
Hi guys, i tryed to update my stable version, but it wants to download everything from internet, despite i have the latest open beta update on my computer!
Is there any way to copy datas from the beta instead of downloading everything from servers?
thanks
You can create this file "dcs_local_source" into the stable directory and put inside the path of the Beta.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits
clanitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #2084
-0303-

Quote:
thanks
Quote:
- Switching Between Open Beta and Release Versions
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

I've done that a year ago, it works.
Only thing the folder will retain it's name. Meaning if it's named "Open Beta" that's what it'll be after conversion.
-0303- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #2085
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

Switching between OB and Stable doesnt trigger and update if they are the same version.
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #2086
Worrazen

Quote:
Deprecated custom download folder feature.
All downloads will now go to the standard "_downloads" subfolder
inside the installation path.
Uuuugh ... just because one or two guys misued the feature

In fairness I'll have to admit data integrity over speed of the update process and that was a freak edge case which can't be blamed on anyone directly, but if you ask me, using the root of a disk is just a bad practice only someone with bad computer skills would do, sorry but this is just a fact, I'm sorry I'm a bit salty right now because this was kinda my thing I kept posting on the wishlist and it's gone now, allright I'll get over it.

On the other hand, we've moved to SSDs so they're much faster than HDDs in the speed regard, I'm not storage space limited anymore as I'll move to a 500 GB SSD just for DCS (*even tho I'll temporarly put it on a 3TB HDD for beta testing and debug purposes but that's another story*).

So the story that's relevant to HDDs goes like this, I don't want to apply this for SSDs because perhaps SSDs may work differently in terms of read&write mix speeds I don't have good experience on, but there's another reason why it was the issue in the first place ... because there is or was (checked half a year ago) middle-man-procedure of unpacking the torrented ZIPs from the subfolders in "_downloads" folder into the root "_downloads" folder and then what I think is copying (not moving?) from the "_downloads" folder one step back out to the DCS root installation folder which is a parent of the "_downloads" folder, so that means both of the operations happen on the same device and if one device has to copy&write at the same time it's half slower than it's maximum. Not only is the unpacking procedure half slower, it's also wasting time by not installing directly, and then when it does "install" it's a half slower read&write procedure again.

A direct unpack-to-install would speed up the procedure by half, then there would only be one read&write procedure on the same device, albeit still half-slower due to being on the same device if that is true for SSDs.

I don't have DCS installed currently, I'll see in detail later.
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria
Worrazen is online now   Reply With Quote