Case I: How to respond to pitch up from flaps?

San Patricio

'Lower stress ' and such, that's the student version of a given motive (eh, excuse).

From a management and human resource perspective, from an instructor and recruitment perspective where the product output is “slots”,

such 'it's a lot easier .. and much lower stress' are the 'they can't’ ‘nope’ ‘write off’ ‘not motivated enough’ ‘slacker‘ ‘weak’ ‘uninspired’ ‘we don’t want these’ 'not driven enough' 'unfit' checkbox categories, isn't it (I am of the old school).

It's not really an excuse. Going into a vault for 15hrs a day, 7 days a week isn't exactly fun and when people learn about that they realize that they would have to make sacrifices to their personal lives that they wouldn't necessarily want to make. Other platforms sit in nice cities around the world collecting per diem, and most other platforms get more flight time too. Completely depends on the person, and if they didn't want to be flying a jet I wouldn't want them in my flight. Going through flight school is an eye opener for everyone, and the first time you're given an 11 page double sided document in primary on friday and expected to spit it out verbatim on monday morning without any sort of cheat sheet, people's ideas change about how much they want to be locked in their rooms for the rest of their career.

It's not really an excuse. Going into a vault for 15hrs a day, 7 days a week isn't exactly fun and when people learn about that they realize that they would have to make sacrifices to their personal lives that they wouldn't necessarily want to make. Other platforms sit in nice cities around the world collecting per diem, and most other platforms get more flight time too. Completely depends on the person, and if they didn't want to be flying a jet I wouldn't want them in my flight. Going through flight school is an eye opener for everyone, and the first time you're given an 11 page double sided document in primary on friday and expected to spit it out verbatim on monday morning without any sort of cheat sheet, people's ideas change about how much they want to be locked in their rooms for the rest of their career.

You're debating here the uncontested, about a topic where there are multiple sides to the same subject which apparently seems to be lost in the conversion of the classics versus that of what apparently seems to be the era of perhaps the supposed millennial and more recently again altered to a supposed generation “Z”. Which is not so much about redundancy but about perspective where mind you - perhaps by accident and disguised as a game, but others will think differently - we’re here simulating the life and trade of officers who are flying their vessels on military commission under the guise and construct that such an officer does so under license and privilege of sovereign will which is earned (as an archetype). Hence your mentioned sacrifices. And I will leave it at that.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Well, your derailing of this thread was an experience. Personally, I don't really care for the way you insult people doing that which you clearly have not. Not impressed by the armchair tough guy with flowery language vibe.

Earning a pair of wings hasn't changed. Millenials are out there doing it every day, whether that clashes with your world view or not. Not everyone chooses to (or can) make the additional sacrifices that go along with the strike fighter world. That doesn't make them "slackers," as you put it.

Well, your derailing of this thread was an experience. Personally, I don't really care for the way you insult people doing that which you clearly have not. Not impressed by the armchair tough guy with flowery language vibe.

Earning a pair of wings hasn't changed. Millenials are out there doing it every day, whether that clashes with your world view or not. Not everyone chooses to (or can) make the additional sacrifices that go along with the strike fighter world. That doesn't make them "slackers," as you put it.

You're not a pilot are you?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Whatever I may be, I don't take bait. ;)

I'm wasting time after getting rather bored of endless repetition of the obvious, what is your excuse mucking about here trying to find something useful (edit: like a clever VR setting)

Edited by majapahit

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, finally got a response from current VFA-204 hornet driver. I'm still in a convo.

How’s response:

Dropping the gear will have no effect on the pitch, the flaps lead to a slight balloon that you counter with a bit of forward stick, but if the throttles are at idle, it should not ballon like the video has. As you decel, you need to trim to keep the nose from dropping, but only as you get close to on-speed. If the power is still high when you drop the flaps, it would climb, but I don’t think he’s doing that..

The jet is still auto trimming , it’s just not airspeed stable, until on-speed

Did he have the autopilot on just prior?

Flaps are what changed the logic, but there are no "regular " procedures (except EPs) that had you flying around with just the gear down.

I have not trsted how the game does it.

My apologies if i was mistaken in that the question was gear only .

Hey Lex, in the game when flaps down and FCS logic changed, the FCS will seek approximately 3.5-4 deg AOA at default trim position. If anyone try to make the transition in level flight, the jet is going to pitch up constantly(maybe because the default AOA is too high after the flaps come in?) until the airspeed is no longer able to hold the plane.

I'm wondering how the real jet works out in the transition if not flaps down in break turn(eg. a direct approach)? Could U plz give us some info? Thanks.

Edited by foxwxl

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

.... very rarely would the plane be configured without flaps. It was just not flown that way.

Sorry, my bad explanation.

I mean what's the jet's reaction after flaps down in level flight ? Will the jet just constantly pitch up right after the flaps coming down? (And need immediate forward stick input to counter the pitch up? )

Thanks.

Edited by foxwxl

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

I would say very recently this became problematic with flaps extension. The plane seems to struggle in the takeoff gaining alpha without touching the controls and flaps are retracted. The AoA becomes so severe that it just stalls and then enters a spin.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.