The cockpit in VR - Question

Shotsx74

It's been a while since I have been playing flight sims. I have recently purchased a Vive Pro kit over the holidays and saw that DCS was VR compatible... I also saw that the F-18 was finally released over decades of asking lol.

My biggest and main question is, with the VR set, how does one fly? Do you grab the stick and thruster with the VR controllers? Or do you need a HOTAS and the controllers?

I am hoping it is just use of the controllers as you can grab and click things with it as you normally would, but I don't want to shell out the 80.00 for the F-18 addon and find out to be disappointed.

Any insight would help, thank you.

I did do a quick search but only find that people were mainly comparing visuals vs the desktop.

Most people use a HOTAS. Bind all necessary controls to the HOTAS, and some even map mouseclicks so they can click buttons in the cockpit using their head(set) for aiming the mousecursor and clicking the button with the assigned button.

I myself just use the mouse along with a HOTAS.

I think you can use the HTC controllers as well as the Touch from Oculus, but I never used it so don't know if that works okay.

Edited by dawgie79

With my Rift, I use the touch controllers to manipulate the cockpit switches and functions and they work great! I don't think you would be disappointed. It is really immersive and highly detailed.

However, I don't believe they work to "grab" the throttle and stick:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/64452/dcs-and-joystick

I'm not sure why you would want that, I would throw down for even a cheap HOTAS or joystick before going that route so at least you have some degree of feeling. It's even more essential when it comes to precise flying (formations, carrier landings, attack runs).

Having a few physical switches is also a benefit, for common 'back of the hand' tasks like gear, hook, flaps, trim, master modes, FCS reset, etc. That's my personal opinion though.

i7 9700k @ 4.9 GHz | Asus Z390-A | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | Oculus Rift + Touch | TM HOTAS Warthog

Seems like a pain in the ass to find ur Vr controller after putting it down to go hands on with the joy stick. Especially in any type of dog fight?

I agree.. I fly with the Vive, Warthog stick, separate throttle and rudder pedals which are mounted (and adjustable) so as near to the same physical position as they are in the planes I'm flying at the time. I map as much as possible to buttons on the sticks as possible so less hands off as possible and then just minimal mouse for the rest. Once in VR your it's very convincing :thumbup:

Edited by NAKE350

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

Seems like a pain in the ass to find ur Vr controller after putting it down to go hands on with the joy stick. Especially in any type of dog fight?

Not entirely. I keep mine attached to my seat via velcro so it's always in the same spot. Some people also hook/hang them, or keep them strung to their wrist.

Not sure about the Vive, but the Oculus software depicts where your controller is (in the form of a hand) in the 3D space, so even if you threw it across the room you could, in theory, go find it without taking the HMD off.

In my personal opinion, if you're focused on flipping switches in a dogfight you've probably already lost. This is another reason for a HOTAS system, you can toggle master mode and select your weapon in a second, and know confidently what you're pressing without having to glance down at the stick in the cockpit. :thumbup:

I agree.. I fly with the Vive, Warthog stick and separate throttle, which are mounted (and adjustable) so as near to the same physical position as they are in the planes I'm flying at the time. I map as much as possible to buttons on the sticks as possible so less hands off as possible and then just minimal mouse for the rest. Once in VR your it's very convincing :thumbup:

+1 to this, with a HOTAS there's a minimal need to even pick up the controllers, except maybe for switchery during startup procedures. That's the very definition/purpose of a HOTAS.

Edited by fullcoupe

i7 9700k @ 4.9 GHz | Asus Z390-A | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | Oculus Rift + Touch | TM HOTAS Warthog

HOTAS. Then I use mouse to click the cockpit for other things. You can use Vive wand but I personally find it slow and cumbersome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

You get used to putting the controllers down in the same place every time. You can do the same with a trackball. There's a lot of interest in wearable pointing devices. Google up captoglove, technology is still kind of raw. Best idea I've seen yet, a forum member developed a finger-mouse. You wear it like a ring, has little buttons you click with your thumb.

I still think it's helpful to have some keys available. I got a USB keypad and mapped some stuff to it eg kneeboard, carrier hookup...

You definitely want a stick and throttle. If you don't want to drop a ton of money check out the thrustmaster tm16000 set which is competitively priced and very serviceable. If you're mainly flying jets you might not need rudders but the bundle is so cheap I'd go for it.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder