Engine fail on start-up when Fuel Lever is put forward

DmitriKozlowsky

Engine fail on start-up when Fuel Lever is put forward.

Have no clue why it is happening. Start up goes good until "Engine fuel lever full forward.(wait for full RPM)"

To get rotor turning I set fuel lever to 1/3 fwd, and wait for rotor and turbine synchronize. Since there is no light that I can see that tells me this, I wait 30 or more seconds. The slowly push fuel lever fwd as instructed. About 20 seconds after fuel lever is full fwd, and rotor is spinning faster and faster there is a loud bang, all sorts of lights light up, and engine stops working. What has happened? Is it transmission? Turbine overspeed? Turbine overtemp? Something else?

Cool module. Great work Polychop. But, it pains me, the manual kind of sort of , well it sucks pretty bad. Needs work. There is no cockpit layout diagram that I can see. The startup checklist is a dl from ED/forums. While it tell what to do, it does not show where and how. Fuel Lever fwd 1/3 is kind of subjective. Is it just get out of the lever gate, or take it out of lever gate and fwd to some visual line that indicated 1/3. Or is it based on RPM crosscheck.

Lever full forward is also a bit wonky. Is it get it fwd, or push it fwd slow.

For a newbie to Gazelle, it is kind of confusing.

To get rotor turning I set fuel lever to 1/3 fwd, and wait for rotor and turbine synchronize. Since there is no light that I can see that tells me this, I wait 30 or more seconds.

You watch the turbine and rotor needles on the bottom right gauge.

As you increase turbine RPM, around 27,000 RPM, the clutch starts to engage and the rotor starts to turn, to avoid 'burning out' the clutch, you need to wait for the rotor needle to get in step with the turbine needle and then inch the fuel control forward slowly, so speed increases without clutch slip.

Then slowly push fuel lever fwd as instructed. About 20 seconds after fuel lever is full fwd, and rotor is spinning faster and faster there is a loud bang, all sorts of lights light up, and engine stops working.

Not sure why without a track, did you disengage the rotor brake?

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Rotor brake disengaged, full FWD. As I said, after fuel flow lever is full fwd 20 seconds or so, there is a loud bang, and engine slowly spools down.

Another thing to watch is the torque gauge, as exceeding max. will also destroy the engine - however, it's usually caused by aggressive use of the collective, etc. rather than during startup.

I can't help further without a track.

For info.

There are 5 .pdf for the Gazelle and a Campaign Guide included with the module, they are found in "DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SA342\Doc"

Chuck's "DCS SA-342M Gazelle Guide" is here

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Don't push the fuel flow lever fully forward right away. Move it forward until rotor begins to spin and leave it in this position. Then watch the gauge until rotor rpm matches turbine rpm. Then slowly (!) push the fuel flow lever forward - rotor and turbine rpm should rise synced until max rpm is reached and the fuel flow lever is fully forward. That should do the trick.

I would recommend checking out the great tutorial series provided by the reapers:

Cheers, Flo

Edited by PapaFlo
typo