G.Skill FlareX on Z390 - disadvantages?

Any disadvantages to using this 3200MHz 32GB G.Skill FlareX kit on Z390 boards? I thought it might be useful to have a Ryzen compatible memory kit should I want to upgrade to next gen AMD.

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

I would first check the motherboard mfg site for a listing of known supported memory module kits that have been tested and known to work with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

G.Skill FlareX on Z390 - disadvantages?

Current Ryzen chips/boards (Zen and Zen+)have an official limit of 2133 for RAM if you use 4 sticks. You might get higher, but it will not be easy and up to the “silicon lottery” more than anything else.

You want 2x16GB of Samsung b-die RAM. It is your best hope for running 32GB @3000-3200 on Zen and Zen+. That is the sweet spot. Expect to pay @50$ USD more compared to non-b-die kits as of 4/2019.

It is possible that Zen2 will be more compatible with the various RAM chips, but we won’t know until it launches. Since the architecture will be an evolution of Zen/Zen+, smart money is on b-die until proven otherwise.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is possibly you could have problems, but probably not.

Specifically memory OEMs manufacture memory specifically for AMD systems and the firmware on the DIMMs is different to that loaded onto DIMMs manufactured for Intel systems. The AMD memory will probably work, but may not work at rated XMP settings (speeds and timings). In fact to be super sure you should choose memory from motherboard manufacturers validated part lists.

The memory manufacturers keep lists of supported motherboards for each DIMM and likewise if you can't find that data from the memory company, the motherboard company will keep a list of tested memory modules. So unfortunately life is not 100% simple in this regard.

Conclusion AMD memory on Intel... you will probably be okay, but might not.

Regarding B-die. That is what I am using, and you can still get B-die currently in stock. But it is no longer being made... replaced by new A-die process. See here: https://wccftech.com/samsung-b-die-memory-production-ceased-replaced-by-samsung-a-die/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]