F-5E ACM Campaign - First mission and first impression. - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #21
splash

Reputation power: 8
splash will become famous soon enoughsplash will become famous soon enough

I'm having lots of problems to defeat the F-5s in the second mission of BFM campaign. Only once I got it down by gunfire. Do you believe that this campaign is easier than AFM?

Last edited by splash; 04-29-2017 at 02:09 PM.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #22
Sydy

Reputation power: 4
Sydy has a spectacular aura aboutSydy has a spectacular aura aboutSydy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
I'm having lots of problems to defeat the F-5s in the second mission of BFM campaign. Only once I got it down by gunfire. Do you believe that this campaign is easier than AFM?
Hi Splash,

I agree it's hard sometimes. It was horrible for me during the BFM campaign to pass the M2000Cs, but we gotta practice. I do consider the ACM campaign a kind of graduation of the BFM. Here you have to manage your wingman a lot and put an huge effort on situation awareness.

Keep practicing and you will get there.

All the best,

Sydy

Last edited by Sydy; 05-05-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Sydy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #23
Sydy

Sydy has a spectacular aura aboutSydy has a spectacular aura aboutSydy has a spectacular aura about

Hi Guys,

I hope everybody is ok. I was away in a RL assignment. Today I had time to fly another F-5E ACM Campaign mission. This one came out quite interesting. It was against F-16Cs and they have a lot of thrust compared to the F-5E.

The first engament was at 24kft and I sent my wingman to the left and we split their flight. I got radar contact right away and RWR alert. We pinced them. After the merge, I turned hard left toward their leader managed to get a good tone and put a sidewinder into him. I went in a defensive turn, completely blind and looking for the other planes (wing and enemy).

After half a turn, I managed to get radar contacts and found one turning left on my 12clck high. I was under his nose and he didn't see me. I turned hard right on top of him, unloaded a bit, he turned right toward my wingman and I got a good tone on minimum range for a missile shot. Shot an AIM-9P5 and it penetrated the Viper on the top and right behind the pilot.

Now we went for the 14.000ft engament. This time I consider a bit better because the F-5E has a better power response at lower altitudes. We bracketed the enemies. Got good radar contact and went head on with the wingman and padlocked on the leader... Then lost the sight... Argh! Kept turning and found two planes. Identified the first as my wingman and got on the F-16 tail. Ended up too close for a missile shot and switched to guns. Managed to track him allright and when in range and after a nice kick on the left rudder became in the same plane and aligned, but got the "faul" mark on the piper, anyway I managed to put a nice and well aimmed half second burst right into him. He lit up like a christmas tree. What the heck!

Now it's the moment things went down the drain... Sort of... I kept my left turn looking for the other F-16, around 2kft agl. When I looked ahead he was right there and shooting a missile on my wingie. His missile tracked and impacted right on the F-5. Now he was pulling up, over the top on me, I was low on energy but kept the pressure with my nose up. Squizzed a missile to put some more pressure on him. He came down, I glued on his tail, after the pull in the bottom of the half loop, I managed to get a good tone, shot it, but the missile was trashed.

On the next dive I went lag persue again, dived too much and broke the hard deck. This one we lost it but the end result was 3 x 2 and I will proceed with the next mission. Now against Mig-29Gs. This will be interesting.

If you have the time to watch the movie about both engagements, here it goes:

Let's see if I can fly one or two missions more before my next RL assignment.

All the best,

Sydy

Last edited by Sydy; 05-04-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #24
Sydy

Quote:

Splash,

If you want to see some F-5E x F-5E dogfights, you may see this one here

Enjoy it. I hope it helps.

Sydy
Old 05-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #25
splash

Reputation power: 8
splash will become famous soon enoughsplash will become famous soon enough

OK, thanks! I keep enjoying your videos. I'll buy ACM campaign for sure.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #26
Sydy

Quote:
OK, thanks! I keep enjoying your videos. I'll buy ACM campaign for sure.
I am glad you like it! I am sure you're gonna enjoy the ACM Campaign!

Take care, Splash.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #27
Sydy

Hi guys,

I've been away due too much work and a rig upgrade. Now I am able to get back into action.

Today I practiced some more on mission 7 against Mig-29Gs and gotta in a good mood.

I decided to give the mission a shot and managed to pass on the first try! I was able to please the Major bagging 4 Mig-29s for no loss!

Tomorrow I will edit and post a new video here. I will try to include a bit of the Trackview as well.

All the best,

Sydy
Old 06-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #28
Sydy

Hi guys,

Took some time here to continue the campaign. Now, I got a new rig and it make much easier to fly.

On the 7th mission we fly against Mig-29Gs. On this video I used some Tacview Picture In Picture so you get a better SA what's going on. Of course, I only saw the Tacview video afterwards and it's funny to see how easy we loose Situation Awareness during the fight. I turned on lables a couple of times, the second one by mistake, but doesn't hurt much the mission quality.

During practice, I discovered that the Mig-29s are really hard to fight with the Tiger II and the only way is to embush them. If you go straight at them, they gonna get you in no time at all, even with a HO missile shot. Learnt that the hard way...

On the first engagement, at 24k, I sent my wingman to pincer left and I pinced low. The Migs never saw us. I went under their low 9clck, made a climbing turn and got in ther tail. My wingman was coming from their 3clck. It was a perfect pincer. I shot an AIM-9P5 on the Mig-29 wingman and got in the leader tail. The missile impact on his wingman.

The pincer was so good that my wingman and I shot at the Mig leader at the same time. His missile missed but mine got the enemy element leader. That was a very nice engagement and pretty fast.

On the second engagement, at 14kft, pretty much the same set up, but after I got their wingman I lost SA of the fight. I made a couple of turns (sorry for wasting your time) trying to locate my wingman and the Mig-29 leader just to find him turning hot on my tail and shooting a missile. I got lucky, managed to force the turn, saw the mig leader going high, I didn't have turn radius to get on his tail and went for a low yo-yo (was low on Energy). Got on his 8clck, good lock and good tone and shot him with a sidewinder.

After looking the Tacview file is easy to see that the Mig Leader just extended after I got his wingman. Tacview is an hell of a tool to understand the fight. I hope you like the PIP format.

If you have the time, here goes the video:

I hope you like the fight. I am having a lot of fun flying this Maple Flag campaign and recomend both F-5E campaign to you. I just installed the Gametrix Jetseat and it gives another level of immersion to the simulation.

Next round: F-18s!!!

All the best,

Sydy
Old 07-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #29
MRamon

Reputation power: 0
MRamon is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Sydy

Hi all.

I just want to say thanks to Sydy for those videos. They were a powerful tool to defeat the bogies in the campaign. Muito obrigado desde Portugal!

To Maple Flag thanks too for this fabolous campaign because i'm learning a lot. Dogfight was very dificoult to me and now i feel more confortable...

Thanks again and continue the good work.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #30
Sydy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRamon View Post
Hi all.

I just want to say thanks to Sydy for those videos. They were a powerful tool to defeat the bogies in the campaign. Muito obrigado desde Portugal!

To Maple Flag thanks too for this fabolous campaign because i'm learning a lot. Dogfight was very dificoult to me and now i feel more confortable...

Thanks again and continue the good work.
Hi MRamnou,

You're welcome! De nada desde o Brasil!

It is my pleasure to share a bit of knowledge and fun with you. I will have to come back to finish the ACM campaign, but so many good campaigns came out that I kind left it aside a bit.

Anyway, I've been kicked in the butt by the Hornets, but I will find a way to defeat them. Once I do it, I will post it here.

All the best,

Sydy