anyone have real F-15 hud tape of landing?

Baz000

I don't feel the ground effect in game. I have to flare by pitching up (maintaining 22 units AOA) and actually increasing thrust untill touchdown to reduce rate of descend and land smoothly. Without that action I hit it like on the carrier's deck.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I don't feel the ground effect in game. I have to flare by pitching up (maintaining 22 units AOA) and actually increasing thrust untill touchdown to reduce rate of descend and land smoothly. Without that action I hit it like on the carrier's deck.

The ground effect is definitely there. You are likely crossing the threshold too high and/or flaring too early. If your on AOA, glance at your VVI before flaring. If you're somewhere north of -600fpm you're in for a hard landing. Landings are much smoother flowing the above guidelines if you're at or below -500fpm before the flare.

takeoff

landing

Keep in mind that is a video from a test aircraft so numbers might be different.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

If you watch the series Jetstream on youtube they say you don't flair you fly it all the way down it takes some getting used to from what they say.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

If you watch the series Jetstream on youtube they say you don't flair you fly it all the way down it takes some getting used to from what they say.

yes, for naval aviation that is true... However, USAF aircraft such as F-16 and F-15 AFAIK you do need to flare to cushion your landing because the landing gear is not designed to take heavy impacts like naval aviation aircraft such as the F-18 are.

yes, for naval aviation that is true... However, USAF aircraft such as F-16 and F-15 AFAIK you do need to flare to cushion your landing because the landing gear is not designed to take heavy impacts like naval aviation aircraft such as the F-18 are.

In my experience the only time you can do it in F-15C is way under the glidepath otherwise you go for a hard landing.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

You're probably just flaring early/late.

I have no problem with flaring or landing at all. I was refering to the "no flaring" navy style. In the -1 landing instructions the flare is mentioned so I assume is madatory. My erlier "don't feel ground effect" comment was assuming no flaring however.

I do exactly like in this HUD videos - approach with slightly lower AOA to reach about 22 during the flare. However, if one maintains 22 during final there is not much left for the flare so to slow the rate of descend one have to increase thrust before touchdown.

Edited by draconus