DCS World 2 and Steam Fragmentation - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
NineLine
Community Manager

If they wanted that they would just not offer it on Steam.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
cichlidfan
Veteran

It is a trade-off. Marketing costs money and Steam provides a level of exposure that is pretty hard to beat. That is why I said prefer.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
c0ff
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
Steam allows more than two branches.

For example Kerbal Space Program has release and 3 'beta' versions to test pre-release and/or support older mod's.
  • release [opt out of beta]
  • pre-release - 1.2.9
  • previous - 1.0.5
  • previous - 1.1.3
You see, all the versions are still 1.x in their case.
Steam 'betas' do not support structural differences between versions, nor different sets DLCs.
Should we upload DCS 2.0 with, say, Nevada into Steam as a separate 'beta', it will create
a huge mess for those who will switch between release and alpha version. And this not discussing
the question of which version of Nevada will go into 1.5 Steam installations of those who bought it. And it will.
Also Steam does not support parallel installs of different beta's.
This is really a Pandora's box, believe me.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
It is a trade-off. Marketing costs money and Steam provides a level of exposure that is pretty hard to beat. That is why I said prefer.
Of course.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #15
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ff View Post
You see, all the versions are still 1.x in their case.
Steam 'betas' do not support structural differences between versions, nor different sets DLCs.
Should we upload DCS 2.0 with, say, Nevada into Steam as a separate 'beta', it will create
a huge mess for those who will switch between release and alpha version. And this not discussing
the question of which version of Nevada will go into 1.5 Steam installations of those who bought it. And it will.
Also Steam does not support parallel installs of different beta's.
This is really a Pandora's box, believe me.
This^.

I think if ED wanted to included Alpha Branches the Only option would be to stop sending complete Builds, and Change Steam Distribution to Installer Only, The Same Way MMO's have been doing.

You Buy Licenses from Steam, but when you install, it launches the Software's Own Launcher which installs, downloads, and manages files from their server instead of steam's.
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #16
twistking

i am really concerned with the current situation.

i have all my modules on steam, since i enjoy using steam and would like to continue doing so.
i think about switching to standalone though, despite my preference for steam:

the reasoning is, that right now, i had no problem waiting a bit longer for a module, since it meant, that i got it in a more advanced state of development.
now with dcs expanding its modules not only to aircrafts and maps, but also AI assets and systems like aircraft carriers, i fear that this could heavily fragment multiplayer. in such a case i would have switched to standalone, but with the new policy i have to decide right now, if i should make the transition.

at this point i really demand a statement from eagle dynamics, not only concerning their commitment to steam, but also their plans concerning future system/asset modules and ways to handle availabitly/compatibility on both platform to ensure minimum MP fragmentation over problems like missing assets (carrier etc.).

i don't want a justification, but just some official clarification on their plans concerning my issues, to help me make a decision concerning the platform.

and please no discussion on why i should go standalone anyways: if feasable, i want to stay on steam and will only switch if there is clarification through ED, that makes me think going standalone would be better despite me not necessarily wanting to.

Last edited by twistking; 05-19-2017 at 07:11 PM.
twistking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #17
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistking View Post
...i fear that this could heavily fragment multiplayer. in such a case i would have switched to standalone, ...
What does MP fragmentation have to do with using Steam or standalone? Both have access to the same servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistking View Post
at this point i really demand...
Btw, demanding something from ED isn't particularly productive.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #18
BIGNEWY
Community Manager

Stay with steam, ED wont be dropping it, they have just committed the Mirage to it using steam keys only, and now all future modules will be the same when released on steam.

At the moment ED can not use different testing builds on steam so only the beta is currently available and not the alpha.

When we get 2.5 and the builds are merged this wont be a problem, sure early access modules take a little longer to reach steam and I understand that can be frustrating for some, but feedback suggest this is the better way to handle early access on steam.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #19
twistking

Quote:
What does MP fragmentation have to do with using Steam or standalone? Both have access to the same servers.
as i said, i have no problem waiting a little bit longer for a flyable aircraft, since if a friend already has it through standalone, we could still fly together (me in another aircraft obviously). but atm we don't really know how system/asset modules will be handled. f.e. one would probably need to own the carrier module, if one wants to play with friends who want to use said module in a mission.
so we would continue to have these fragmentations even after "the merge".
to be more precise: fragmentation should not get worse, but with the system modules (carrier etc.) coming, there might still be fragmentation even after "the merge" and having the possibility to still switch would be great, if that fragmentation start becoming bothering at some point.

Quote:
Btw, demanding something from ED isn't particularly productive.
oh, come on. i "demand" nothing more than a statement to an important change in policy, which, as of yet, has only been communicated through a footnote in a newsletter.
in the country i live in, that is probably even illegal.
(we have ze best consumer protection, ja?!) was a joke, did not imply actually suing ED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
When we get 2.5 and the builds are merged this wont be a problem, sure early access modules take a little longer to reach steam and I understand that can be frustrating for some, but feedback suggest this is the better way to handle early access on steam.
yes, i understand that. but will ED be able to implent modules like the carrier or other future system/content modules without version fragmentation?
i am quite excited about the nevada map, but did not really bother with standalone / early access, since when i started with dcs a year ago, it seemed, that "the merge" was just around the corner. turned out, it wasn't.

If new type of modules introduced similar delays, that would really be a letdown.

Last edited by twistking; 05-20-2017 at 06:58 PM.
twistking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
CobraMagic

Okay there is light at the end of the tunnel and i put fate into that,

I contacted the support desk and they assured me that at some point it will be possible to use the steam login in dcs world so all your content will be available in one version at some point in time.

They cant bring star force to steam but they can bring steam to dcs world as the API's are already available in the steam version (all they basically have to do is link the dcs account to the steam account and voila.) , I am a programmer myself and this really cant be that complicated.
And I am sure ED does not like this situation either.

I figure steam doen not like starforce

2.1 is still a alpha and 1.5 is in beta sort of so give things time to settle.

I put fate in ED and bought some modules in the sale because I like the big effort put into this dcs project.

Give things time , DCS is a big project to manage and I do see progress
CobraMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5, 2.0, 980, sli, steam