Stick / Throttle Saitek X56 Rhino

emc

Hi,

I just started my adventure with DCS and KA-50 in particular. I'm of course lost. I read some beginners guide and post (don't be so harsh), but I didn't found one thing. Since I just try keep me alive in air... practice level and combat turn, try to hover or land there where I wanted, don't really need hotas configuration.... Right now I just ues stick and throttle as it is.... but in near future I will start using Ka50 sysyems...

Since X56 is quite new I didn't found much resources what assign to which switch. I know somebody will tell me figure out yourself it's fun.

But since throttle has 3 mode and I really can't imagine what and where (in particular mode) during flight will be useful. So any schema to base on will be much useful.

And, should I use software include with Saitek (what are + and -) or use DCS option menu for it (any + and -)?

Take a look my mods :joystick: 

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin

I have an x55. I think most people assign the controls(buttons and axis) in the game. I assign the axis in the game, and the buttons/switches in the Saitek profile editor. It is up to you.

If you assign your controls in the game, you should save them by clicking the button on the top right. This only saves one controller at a time. So if you click on a box for the throttle and then save it, you only save the throttle settings. So, name it XXX airplane Throttle. Then click on a joystick box/control, and click save. And name it XXX airplane Joystick, etc..

I use the Saitek Editor because I know how to use it very well. You can create commands for when you 'push' a button, and also when you 'release' a button. You can create macros that send several key presses. And I can backup and save my profiles easily.

Here is my settings for my x55. It is important to learn how to use the Trimmer button. Watch this video. I always hold the trimmer button down, and release it only when I want the helicopter to stay flying at the angle/trim that it is in. So I would hold it down as I takeoff, and begin to fly towards a waypoint. And once I am flying straight and level at the speed that I want I would release the trimmer and let go of the stick. I can do this also if I am turning, or whenever I want. It keeps the stick where it is.

1124858569_DCSKa-50.thumb.png.1069a2b46addc7dcabeba20394cd54c1.png

Edited by Snacko
  • Like 1

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

thx Snacko! Can't wait to program my controllers!

and thx for trimmer advice, I watch Froogle advice

and took to my heart :D

But it took some time to realize I had wrong settings in option menu and leaving stick after releasing trimmer button cause my Ka-50 go wild and then I forgot turn hover mode off :D but now I think I'm pretty good at trimming :D

Note: Can you tell me how to turn red controllers view on left bottom screen?

And last question do you use mode switch (3-way position rotory) on lower left corner of throttle? How it change other switches actions?

Edited by emc
one question more

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin

Froogle is a good instructor. I have watched many of his videos.

The trimmer takes practice. I think some people may just press and release it when they want to set the trim. But I am in the habit of holding it and releasing it. When you press it, it disables the held trim position so you can adjust your stick easier. So I hold it to fly, and release it to set trim position.

The Collective Brake is also very important in flying. It is only useful when used in conjunction with the Altitude Hold Autopilot. Your current altitude is set as the desired hold altitude each time you depress the brake. I have not flown the Ka50 in a while, and this doesn't seem to work as I remembered. You will need to google for answers on this, but it is very useful to adjust your current Altitude that you hold.

The Red Box is your Controller Indicator. RCtrl+Enter. (it's called 'Show Controls Indicator' in the General category.

I never use the 3-way mode switch on my x55. I am old and have enough trouble remembering Mode 1.

But many people do use the 3-Way mode switch. Think of the Modes as Categories. Nav mode, Startup mode, A/A mode, A/G mode. And you can keep many of the same controls on each mode and just make some change. Like maybe make the toggle switchs on the base change? It's up to you. For me, I like the clickable cockpit and only put the most common controls on my HOTAS.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Ok get it...

I found this one quite clear and simple

dcs_footer500.jpg