Flap position??

Weegie

I'm making up some profiles in Target and not familiar with the SU 27.

The question is according to controls

"F" = Flap toggle

"SHFT F" = Landing Flaps

"LCTRL F" = Flaps Raise

When looking in F2 External view I cannot see any difference between Landing Flaps and Take Off Flaps

Toggling "F" merely raises and lowers them to the same position by the looks of it.

Is it a graphics bug and I still need to use "LSHFT F" when on approach or is only one flap position modeled?

Sorry for newbie question, any other comments that might enlighten me would also be welcome

The keybindings are probably in error: the real Su-27 only has two positions available to the pilot for flaps. If you look under the throttle, you will see a blue button in front of an orange one. the blue is "flaps up" and the orange is "flaps down".

That said, the ACS has more selective use of the flaps based on airspeed. I never deploy the flaps manually for takeoff, I just let the ACS set the appropriate angle.

Thanks for the replies, interesting and given me food for thought.

It still leaves me a bit confused.

Now I believe the ACS can be disabled (I think) if it can I'll try that and then select the flaps to see if it makes any difference. I suppose its possible the ACS is overriding my selection.

If I manage to do this I'll post back up with the results.

The idea of letting the ACS sort out the flaps is a really useful nugget, appreciated.

So I pressed "S" which operates ASC Direct control and threw a lever in the left side of the cockpit.

Operated the flaps and exactly the same result.

So it would appear there are only 2 positions, this is also borne out by the blue and orange buttons, one press of "F" presses one of the 2 buttons and pushes the other, toggling "F" again does the reciprocal.

So I can only ASS-ume that only one flap setting is modeled in the sim.

I'm willing to be proved wrong if anybody else knows different

So I pressed "S" which operates ASC Direct control and threw a lever in the left side of the cockpit.

Operated the flaps and exactly the same result.

So it would appear there are only 2 positions, this is also borne out by the blue and orange buttons, one press of "F" presses one of the 2 buttons and pushes the other, toggling "F" again does the reciprocal.

So I can only ASS-ume that only one flap setting is modeled in the sim.

I'm willing to be proved wrong if anybody else knows different

Wait, I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove. There are only two flap positions, raised and landing, but the ASC can automatically set the flaps inbetween those (for example for takeoff).

Ok I do know its got the leading edge slats too controlled by ASC

I'm talking about the normal Flaps at rear of the wing.

So as to be concise that there is no understanding

As far as I can see there is 1 flap setting that is 2 positions

Position 1

Retracted (i.e. the flaps are in the same horizontal plain as the wings) effectively flaps up or no flaps

Position 2

Flaps down, drooping providing extra lift.

Maybe I've got the terminology wrong but my understanding of 2 flap settings available would mean the flaps have 3 positions

1) Retracted

2) X degree of droop eg: takeoff

3) Y degree of droop eg: landing

Where Y>X

Please educate me if I've got it wrong, as I understood the SU 27 had 2 flap settings, take-off/combat & landing. I can only see one setting in the sim

Its not a huge deal but if I know then I can bind my controls correctly